The Student Room Group

University choices help?

I was hoping I could get some guidance on what uni’s to chose. I have currently applied to 2 uni’s which are AAB and another AAB/AAA, 1 which is AAA and 2 that are ABB. I ideally going to firm an AAB offer and insure an ABB offer. However, I don’t know if it was right of me to chose an AAA uni, I do really like the uni but I think AAA is too much pressure so i’m Unlikely to firm. I have a tendency to have anxiety attack’s in exams, I can do really well throughout the year and then i’m put in a proper exam condition and I can flop and end up just missing a grade. So, I wonder whether it would be better to swop 1 AAA to a BBB. So, my choices would = AAB, AAB/AAA, ABB, ABB, BBB. What’s more advisable?
(edited 5 years ago)
I'm slightly confused by your post as it seems to imply you've applied to 6 universities, which unless some major change has occurred isn't possible on UCAS. Also I believe there are quite a few limitations on how and when you can change your options if you have already submitted your application; you may want to contact UCAS to find out whether what you're proposing is possible irrespective of the entry criteria. @PQ might also know more about that.

Beyond UCAS administrative matters, universities can and do take applicants who have missed their offers by one grade (or more, sometimes) after results day. Moreover the entire point of the insurance is "in case" you miss your firm offer. The offer you firm should be university you would most like to go to, not the one you think you are most likely to get into - that university is the one you should be thinking about put as your insurance. Presuming you're on target for AAA (or AAB) I see no reason for you to consider BBB universities at this stage unless that university or course is specifically appealing to you.

Another consideration is that this year has a shortfall of applicants (due to fewer births in 2000 than preceding years) so all universities are looking at potentially lower intakes and quite possibly will be more flexible on results day to try and maximise their numbers as a result. Additionally bear in mind UCAS Clearing will be available, and generally BBB courses often have a few places in there. Given the above demographic issues it's possible there may be even more places in Clearing this year than last to boot.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
I'm slightly confused by your post as it seems to imply you've applied to 6 universities, which unless some major change has occurred isn't possible on UCAS. Also I believe there are quite a few limitations on how and when you can change your options if you have already submitted your application; you may want to contact UCAS to find out whether what you're proposing is possible irrespective of the entry criteria. @PQ might also know more about that.

Beyond UCAS administrative matters, universities can and do take applicants who have missed their offers by one grade (or more, sometimes) after results day. Moreover the entire point of the insurance is "in case" you miss your firm offer. The offer you firm should be university you would most like to go to, not the one you think you are most likely to get into - that university is the one you should be thinking about put as your insurance. Presuming you're on target for AAA (or AAB) I see no reason for you to consider BBB universities at this stage unless that university or course is specifically appealing to you.

Another consideration is that this year has a shortfall of applicants (due to fewer births in 2000 than preceding years) so all universities are looking at potentially lower intakes and quite possibly will be more flexible on results day to try and maximise their numbers as a result. Additionally bear in mind UCAS Clearing will be available, and generally BBB courses often have a few places in there. Given the above demographic issues it's possible there may be even more places in Clearing this year than last to boot.

Thank you! Sorry, I didn’t make that as clear I am applying to 5, however 1 universities offer discription is AAB/AAA (so this uni varies it’s offers between these), I didn’t mean 2 uni’s. I have paid for my application but it hasn’t actually been sent off yet by my school, so I can still change. I’ll probably leave it how it is then, hopefully this will be fine.
Original post by Aimee_101
Thank you! Sorry, I didn’t make that as clear I am applying to 5, however 1 universities offer discription is AAB/AAA (so this uni varies it’s offers between these), I didn’t mean 2 uni’s. I have paid for my application but it hasn’t actually been sent off yet by my school, so I can still change. I’ll probably leave it how it is then, hopefully this will be fine.

My confusion is from this:

I have currently applied to 2 uni’s which are AAB and another AAB/AAA, 1 which is AAA and 2 that are ABB

Which suggests your universities are

Uni A (AAB)
Uni B (AAB)
Uni C (AAA/AAB)
Uni D (AAA)
Uni E (ABB)
Uni F (ABB)

which is 6...

That aside, I don't think there's much reason to second guess your choices now, it seems a reasonable spread of entry criteria to give you a good chance of getting two offers. Which offers to set as what depends on actually getting them, so just wait for your application to be sent off and see what comes back!
Firstly where a university shows a range of grades the higher is the usual offer and the lower is a contextual offer for someone who meets these conditions. Secondly in practice most universities accept a 1 grade drop on results day although this cannot be guaranteed. Thirdly do not make any decision now. This does not have to be made until May. Visit any office holder/applicant days and then make your decision in April. There is nothing to be gained in making a decision now and can create difficulties if you change your mind.
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
Firstly where a university shows a range of grades the higher is the usual offer and the lower is a contextual offer for someone who meets these conditions. Secondly in practice most universities accept a 1 grade drop on results day although this cannot be guaranteed. Thirdly do not make any decision now. This does not have to be made until May. Visit any office holder/applicant days and then make your decision in April. There is nothing to be gained in making a decision now and can create difficulties if you change your mind.

Well, I have to make a decision before January 15th on what unis I want to apply to?
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
My confusion is from this:

Which suggests your universities are

Uni A (AAB)
Uni B (AAB)
Uni C (AAA/AAB)
Uni D (AAA)
Uni E (ABB)
Uni F (ABB)

which is 6...

That aside, I don't think there's much reason to second guess your choices now, it seems a reasonable spread of entry criteria to give you a good chance of getting two offers. Which offers to set as what depends on actually getting them, so just wait for your application to be sent off and see what comes back!

AAB, AAB/AAA, AAA, ABB, ABB is what I meant.
Well, I have to make a decision before January 15th on what unis I want to apply to?

yes but you dont need to decide which to go until may. you can apply to all 5 then wait and decide

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending