?
Report 1 year ago
we know that
ItsTomii
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Different yet still equal. Great discussion; good night everyone.
Axiomasher
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Reid4321)
Men and women are different
All individuals are different in some way or other regardless of their sexual categorisation into male or female.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Axiomasher)
All individuals are different in some way or other regardless of their sexual categorisation into male or female.
all cats are different, and all dogs are different regardless of them being seperate species.. and they also have a surprisng number of similarities. But we catagorise them as being two seperate different things because they, as groups, contain enough similarities and differences for it to be signfiicantly advantagous for us to distinguish between them as different species.

Same with men and women.. yes every man is different, and every woman is different, and we are all different - but there are distinct similarities and differences that make catagorisation useful. sex and gender are just one part of it.

I don't like this trend, that I keep seeing - where someone says 'X group is different from X group' - and the modern reply is 'well there is difference within the groups themselves, and similarity between them.. so...'

Obviously the OP is just trolling though and waiting for some very radicial leftist (and thankfully its still only the very radical who really don't believe there are differences between men/women) to bite.
Axiomasher
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
....I don't like this trend, that I keep seeing - where someone says 'X group is different from X group' - and the modern reply is 'well there is difference within the groups themselves, and similarity between them.. so...'...
I do like it. I like it a lot! Generalisations about differences between men and women (in other words statistical differences) are easily misleading and harmful when it comes to the potentials and interests of any given individual.
looloo2134
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
All human being are different I never meant anyone normal or average. I hate the word normal went it come to people because there no such thing as a normal person.
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think equality isn’t actually as important as some people make it out to be. I think it’s more important that people are satisfied on an individual level.

Consider a simple example:
If I have £50 and you have £50, we are both equal. But if I now have £100 and you have £60, we are unequal - however individually, each of us is actually better off than we were before. I would therefore say that the latter scenario of inequality is better than the former scenario of equality. If we are rational about it, it shouldn’t matter to either of us what the other one has, as this doesn’t affect us.

Similarly, whilst some people complain about the gender imbalance in certain professions, I personally don’t think this is much of a problem. Rather than trying to actively alter people’s career choices and engineer a 50:50 split in each profession, it’s more important to just maximise everyone’s opportunities to access the careers that they want, and just let the overall ratios be whatever they turn out to be.

The idea is that, as long as nothing is stopping you as an individual from entering the career of your choosing, it shouldn’t really matter to you what gender/race/whatever everyone else in that career happens to be.
ZombieTheWolf
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maybe thats why we are called men and women and not just humans, oooo
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (149)
60.57%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.47%
No- I want it (69)
28.05%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads