Compare mobile companys Watch

englandfan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago

Hello,

I’m currently using my EE sim in Germany and I would like to ask you which provider do you prefer? The Speed here with 80 mbits is fantastic.

What could you say about Three Vodavone Giffgaff and EE?

Which would you recommend?
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Which do we prefer in Germany, or in the UK? I can't imagine many people have experience with how these UK carriers are handled in Germany.

For me, EE is best in the UK and the one I personally use (have experience with). For the most part, they own a majority of the infrastructure. IIRC with Vodafone being more global, they also have their own infrastructure, while Three and GiffGaff operate off EE and O2 infrastructure respectively. Beyond that, recommendations are difficult. I've never had any problems with EE and always have great network coverage. I'm sure some people would say the same for the other companies. In terms of budget, I'm sure they all have deals now and again. I don't personally mind paying a little more for EE and getting good quality.
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Vodafone I'm most happy with as they give me unlimited everything for £10 a month (via Voxi, no contract). I've used this sim in France, Portugal, Spain and Italy and the 4G was faster there, shows how slow UK phone networks are.

EE I wouldn't touch with a barge pole after they tried to charge me £400 to cancel my contract a few years ago, Three were ok and I've not been with O2.
englandfan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago

And which one is the best for the UK?

In Germany you had to Register Simcards.
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by englandfan)
And which one is the best for the UK?

In Germany you had to Register Simcards.
It's a completely subjective thing. I'd highly recommend EE but jameswhughes above wouldn't ever use them. It doesn't matter who you ask, you'll get a different answer and there's very little fact based evidence to suggest any of the carriers are better than any other.
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by jameswhughes)
EE I wouldn't touch with a barge pole after they tried to charge me £400 to cancel my contract a few years ago
Is this not standard practice? If you want to cancel a contract that hasn't ended, it's normal for them to charge you for it.
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Acsel)
Is this not standard practice? If you want to cancel a contract that hasn't ended, it's normal for them to charge you for it.
It was a 30 day sim-only contract, so no it was completely unjustified. Even if I'd had to pay another month it would have been £8 not £400.

From some of the complaints on their Facebook page, it's a common trick they play on people, slap on a massive charge once they've asked for a PAC and hope that they'll pay it if they don't cancel their direct debit in time.
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by jameswhughes)
It was a 30 day sim-only contract, so no it was completely unjustified. Even if I'd had to pay another month it would have been £8 not £400.

From some of the complaints on their Facebook page, it's a common trick they play on people, slap on a massive charge once they've asked for a PAC and hope that they'll pay it if they don't cancel their direct debit in time.
Ah okay. It's not something I've ever personally heard happen before but I would imagine you could take them to court for something like that
adam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I like companies that don't charge you if you go over your limits.

Giffgaff are great for this

Tesco I think will warn you if you go over your limits.

I try and budget so paying the same every month is vital and you can't do that with most phone companies.
Most phone companies will say "We don't currently have a means to stop people from going over their limit and incurring charges"
Which is just crazy... But it's how they make their money..
niteninja1
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Three does well for me i pay £18 a month for unlimited everything
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.83%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed