SidKofi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'd quite like to study PPE at Oxford, however, I'm in yr 10 about to choose a level. I'm fairly academic (Predicted all 8s and 9s) and for A level i want to choose Classics, Politics and Economics. Would you say these are good choices?
jsg9
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oxford and Cambridge (and frequently other top tier unis) like you to have at least one, if not two of your three A level choices to be “facilitating subjects”. The list is pretty much Maths, English Lit, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Geography, History and Modern or Classical Languages.

Oxford states on their PPE course info that Maths and History are desirable but not essential. However, if you look at past admissions stats, for the 2017 entry cohort 89% of applicants interviewed studied Maths A level and 93% of applicants (that studied A levels) who were offered a place at Oxford for PPE had A level Maths. They do say that they expect a fairly high competency in Maths and having the A level seems to be an advantage based on these stats.

History is both essay based and classed as a facilitating subject, making it a good choice for PPE. You have to sit an admissions test called the TSA which features an essay section, so you need to perform well in this. 51% of applicants offered a place for 2017 entry had an A level in History.

77% of applicants offered a place for 2017 entry had one of either Philosophy, Politics/Government of Economics at A level. So these three subjects seem to also be advantageous.

Maths and History with either Politics or Economics stand out as choices based off these stats, however, maybe you really dislike History for example, and you probably won’t do well in it. At the end of the day, pick subjects which relate to your course or are advantageous, do research into this, and pick out of a shortlist the ones that you like the most or know you will achieve best in. Good luck applying
SidKofi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by jsg9)
Oxford and Cambridge (and frequently other top tier unis) like you to have at least one, if not two of your three A level choices to be “facilitating subjects”. The list is pretty much Maths, English Lit, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Geography, History and Modern or Classical Languages.

Oxford states on their PPE course info that Maths and History are desirable but not essential. However, if you look at past admissions stats, for the 2017 entry cohort 89% of applicants interviewed studied Maths A level and 93% of applicants (that studied A levels) who were offered a place at Oxford for PPE had A level Maths. They do say that they expect a fairly high competency in Maths and having the A level seems to be an advantage based on these stats.

History is both essay based and classed as a facilitating subject, making it a good choice for PPE. You have to sit an admissions test called the TSA which features an essay section, so you need to perform well in this. 51% of applicants offered a place for 2017 entry had an A level in History.

77% of applicants offered a place for 2017 entry had one of either Philosophy, Politics/Government of Economics at A level. So these three subjects seem to also be advantageous.

Maths and History with either Politics or Economics stand out as choices based off these stats, however, maybe you really dislike History for example, and you probably won’t do well in it. At the end of the day, pick subjects which relate to your course or are advantageous, do research into this, and pick out of a shortlist the ones that you like the most or know you will achieve best in. Good luck applying
Thank you so much! I am strongly passionate about These 3 subjects and i feel as though i'd enjoy studying them, but im not sure if they are too 'soft', I definitely will do an EPQ also
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (588)
34.13%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (712)
41.32%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (344)
19.97%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.59%

Watched Threads