Grandma mistakenly booked into all-male jail, staff thought she was transgender Watch

yudothis
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
That's not how slurs work. ***** is a slur, cis is an adjective that describes the relation between assigned and experienced gender. The two are not comparable and your attempt to conflate the two is ludicrous

You know, if you know this little about the subject, stop posting. That was fact kid.

Well no, if you think cis is a slur (it's not) then you are either uniformed or know but choose to ignore it to peddle an agenda (i.e. wilfully ignorant)
terfisaslur.com

There is an immense amount of evidence of the absolutely vile way the term "terf" is thrown around, particularly at women. The fact that you continue to use the word speaks volumes about your bigotry and your misogyny. That at the same time you demand others stop using a word, just at your says so "***** is a slur", shows your narcissism.

This will ultimately be your downfall, because everyone hates an illogical crybully.
Captain Haddock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
Cis, in Latin, means 'on this side' or 'on the near side'. It certainly does not mean 'same' (which is translated by 'idem'. It implies a crossing and can be most famously seen in the names of Cisapline Gaul (this side of the Alps for the Romans) and Transalpine Gaul (the far side of the Alps).

So, your use of cis, in fact, indicates that a cisperson is a person who has not yet made a transition, not one who is not going to make a transition. hence, should only be used for pre-trans people and not for the rest of us. You merely emphasise that women are women and that men are men and that trans people are different.

Trying to be clever in your bullying is a trap for the unwary.
So Cisalpine Gaul is Gallic land that hasn't yet transitioned to the far side of the Alps, but plans on doing so?

I... What?
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Captain Haddock)
So Cisalpine Gaul is Gallic land that hasn't yet transitioned to the far side of the Alps, but plans on doing so?

I... What?
No. Cisalpine Gaul is a land this side of the Alps. To get to Transalpine Gaul you have to make a crossing of the Alps. 'Cis' does not mean 'same', as claimed by SLF. 'Idem' means 'same'.

To be logically consistent a woman would have to be crossed to get from ciswoman to transwoman. But, in fact, no women are involved in the making of a transwoman.
Captain Haddock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No. Cisalpine Gaul is a land this side of the Alps. To get to Transalpine Gaul you have to make a crossing of the Alps. 'Cis' does not mean 'same', as claimed by SLF. 'Idem' means 'same'.

To be logically consistent a woman would have to be crossed to get from ciswoman to transwoman. But, in fact, no women are involved in the making of a transwoman.
But the condition of being 'Cisalpine' is not contingent on some future journey across the Alps, which is what you seemed to be implying. The term 'transwoman' is just a gender-specific way of saying 'transsexual' or 'transgender', in which case the 'line' being crossed is that of, you guessed it, sex or gender. It's just a convenient term. No need to get bogged down in etymology.
Stiff Little Fingers
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you're going to be pendantic, I didn't say it meant same, what I said was:

, cis is merely a Latin prefix meaning "on the same side of" (as opposed to trans: "on the opposite side of")
Which it does when referring to orientation. Cisplatin has the chlorine atoms on the same side of the molecule as each other (as opposed to transplatin where they're on the opposite side). Cisalpine is the area on the same side of the alpines as the author (with the transalpine area being on the opposite side of the alpines to the author). In reference to genetics it refers to both mutant alleles and both wild-type alleles being on the same homologous chromosome as the other (when they're on the other one to each other the term trans is used). Across countless fields the term cis refers to orientation where the two important points being measured are on the same side of something.
Waldorf67
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So, by 'black people' you meant 'people of any given race'?
Straws. Clutching.
Waldorf67
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by yudothis)
"Stop using slurs" - from the user relishing in "terf" and "cis" and "transphobe".

Btw cis is not an adjective, it is a prefix.

Go on, how to "transphobe" exactly "hate trans people".
Cis is short for cisgender, which is an adjective.

I’m really loving you guys trying to keep up with Stiff Little Fingers’s intellect and failing miserably.

It’s cute.
yudothis
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Waldorf67)

I’m really loving you guys trying to keep up with Stiff Little Fingers’s intellect and failing miserably.

It’s cute.
Cis is a prefix and cisgender is a made up word that has no meaning.

And that last part has got to be a joke, are you trolling? You can say a lot about Little Fingers, but intellect, isn't on the menu.

ps given that he's ignored me because he can't cope with someone calling out his bs, there is no "keeping up". I do wonder why you decided to quote me and not one of the others who are actually going back and forth.
Last edited by yudothis; 1 week ago
Stiff Little Fingers
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

It’s cute.
:laugh: they didn't seriously claim TERF and transphobe are slurs did they? Spectacular example really of the agenda of some of those who appropriate "woke"-ness to peddle bigotry. Neither TERF or transphobe are slurs, nor frankly do those who claim they are genuinely think they are - what it's about is turning anything used to label anti-trans views as a slur to shut down the criticism of those views. It's about silencing trans people while playing the victim; hence why major TERFs like the heads of Fair Play for Women and A Woman's Place UK claim to be being silenced while getting regular appearances on shows like women's hour and plenty of column inches in a number of papers.
yudothis
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
:laugh: they didn't seriously claim TERF and transphobe are slurs did they? Spectacular example really of the agenda of some of those who appropriate "woke"-ness to peddle bigotry. Neither TERF or transphobe are slurs, nor frankly do those who claim they are genuinely think they are - what it's about is turning anything used to label anti-trans views as a slur to shut down the criticism of those views. It's about silencing trans people while playing the victim; hence why major TERFs like the heads of Fair Play for Women and A Woman's Place UK claim to be being silenced while getting regular appearances on shows like women's hour and plenty of column inches in a number of papers.
Or they would be doing that because masked men try to shut them down violently. Or certain Goldsmith's lecturers organizing secret groups to out "terfs" and then contact their universities and employers. Or a gazillion other examples.

But you know, who lives in reality. Definitely not you. The irony is, while you hate someone like Trump so much, you consider those that could be your allies as deserving even more of your hate than him, and you are more like him than you think. Same lying, same accusing others of what you do yourself, same old same old DARVO.
Waldorf67
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The irony is that these types of people call anyone with leftist (or moral) views snowflakes, yet they are so petty as to feel being called cis a slur :rofl:

They criticise lefties for taking offence at anything, yet they are trying so hard to do the very same.
Waldorf67
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

And that last part has got to be a joke, are you trolling? You can say a lot about Little Fingers, but intellect, isn't on the menu.

ps given that he's ignored me because he can't cope with someone calling out his bs, there is no "keeping up". I do wonder why you decided to quote me and not one of the others who are actually going back and forth.
I admire your ego. To think you can discount a word recognised in all major dictionaries as not a word, just because you disagree with it.

I don’t like it so I should pretend it doesn’t exist!
One thing disagreeing with something, another thing to deny its existence all together.
Reminds me of my petulant six year old nephew.

Like I said, cute.
Johnny English
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Mmm......It's amazing and life enhancing to be naive and normal these days .....

Anyone remember Theo Kojak ...?

"Who loves yer baby ? "
NYU℠
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The irony is that these types of people call anyone with leftist (or moral) views snowflakes, yet they are so petty as to feel being called cis a slur :rofl:

They criticise lefties for taking offence at anything, yet they are trying so hard to do the very same.
The idea that only the left polices language is well-known to be false. The right is guilty of a far more sinister form of ‘political correctness’

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Po...Has-Run/242143

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...=.1cc871bc2863

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/...bottom&gtm=top

https://www.salon.com/2018/11/14/pol...ts-it_partner/

The ‘political correctness’ of the right involves adherence to certain populist and nationalist ideologies, and a rejection of certain identities and groups. Example: yudothis rejecting the meaning of word that can be found in a dictionary. Trumpism also operates under a form of political correctness — the use of certain language and adherence to certain ideologies either makes you a person in or out of the group.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well no, if you think cis is a slur (it's not) then you are either uniformed or know but choose to ignore it to peddle an agenda (i.e. wilfully ignorant)

I didn’t say cis was a slur I said I take it as a slur,
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Stiff Little Fingers
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
**** it

As always, wrong. I've ignored you because I have neither the desire nor the energy to try and teach someone who does not want to learn. I have repeatedly explained to you how sexual morphism goes beyond genitalia and how trans people sit outside of the roughly defined group of men or women in terms of neurochemistry (response to pheromones for instance) and neurological structure. I have repeatedly linked papers to support that. I've regularly explained that gender affirmative care is not comparable to encouraging anorexia, and again linked papers detailing the success rate of affirmative care in dealing with gender dysphoria. All the while you ignore it, accuse me of providing no evidence and deal in bad science like AGP (which is ultimately a misogynistic hypothesis reliant on a notion that women don't enjoy sex - it never used any control groups and when people then looked at cis women saw up to 90% exhibited signs of AGP) and ROGD - an act of academic fraud where the methodology was both unethical (asking parents to diagnose their children as if they were qualified professionals without a conflict of interest) and rigged in terms of sample selection to give the answer the researcher wanted. You've done nothing but argue in bad faith and demonstrate pride in being an ill-informed bigot on this subject. So, I ignore your posts and talk past you, on the hope that people observing are open to learning, and that people like todorokishouto in this thread will see that some people aren't needlessly cruel. Also it's they, not that I don't expect you to now double down and use he even more...
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do you really want to try to debate that adjectives can't be slurs? :lol:
Lol now this made me laugh.

:laugh: they didn't seriously claim TERF and transphobe are slurs did they?
Are you really this ignorant of what a slur is?
A slur is a word that is likely to insult someone. Your opinion on whether the aforementioned are indeed slurs or not is absolutely irrelevant as you really don't get to decide what offends people.
Whilst I will grant you those two rather droll examples are unlikely to offend many they evidently have offended some and are thus ipso facto a slur. Shall i simplify this more for you or do you want to just admit that you don't know what an insult is unless it comes from you, the apparently supreme arbiter on that matter?
Stiff Little Fingers
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
Do you really want to try to debate that adjectives can't be slurs? :lol:

Lol now this made me laugh.

Are you really this ignorant of what a slur is?
A slur is a word that is likely to insult someone. Your opinion on whether the aforementioned are indeed slurs or not is absolutely irrelevant as you really don't get to decide what offends people.
Whilst I will grant you those two rather droll examples are unlikely to offend many they evidently have offended some and are thus ipso facto a slur. Shall i simplify this more for you or do you want to just admit that you don't know what an insult is unless it comes from you, the apparently supreme arbiter on that matter?
Kid, you don't know what a slur is if you think "well I'm taking it as a slur" makes it one. By that metric everything is a slur, even something as mundane as Koala. For something to be a slur it needs to be commonly understood to convey hatred/contempt and have a neutral counterpart that means the same thing without conveying hatred/contempt - e.g. **** vs Pakistani, or for the one you've used (and why I reported you given you've whinged about that - it wasn't a non-offence at all), ****** vs trans person. Cis does not qualify (does not have a neutral counterpart, nor is it commonly used to signify contempt), TERF does not qualify (it's an abbreviation of a political position - Trans-exclusionary radical feminist - and does not have a neutral counterpart, contempt is slightly trickier in that generally it's used while criticising those people for their actions and the views they hold), nor does transphobe (same situation as TERF).
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Kid, you don't know what a slur is if you think "well I'm taking it as a slur" makes it one. By that metric everything is a slur, even something as mundane as Koala. For something to be a slur it needs to be commonly understood to convey hatred/contempt and have a neutral counterpart that means the same thing without conveying hatred/contempt - e.g. **** vs Pakistani, or for the one you've used (and why I reported you given you've whinged about that - it wasn't a non-offence at all), ****** vs trans person. Cis does not qualify (does not have a neutral counterpart, nor is it commonly used to signify contempt), TERF does not qualify (it's an abbreviation of a political position - Trans-exclusionary radical feminist - and does not have a neutral counterpart, contempt is slightly trickier in that generally it's used while criticising those people for their actions and the views they hold), nor does transphobe (same situation as TERF).
The neutral counterpart to ciswoman is woman. Words beginning with cis are used only by trans activists who are trying to make a point and discussing someone's gender. The rest of us, not trying to make any point, simply use a noun that describes the sex of whoever they are talking about because we don't, as a rule, discuss gender.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Did you just call me 'kid'? :lol:lol:lol: Well i guess we can see how well your argument is going if you have to resort to a pathetic wee ad hom such as that

The OED would beg to differ with you there.

Mmm person getting her knickers in a twist about a non-insult [face facts it was not an insult ] accuses me of "whining" yeah makes total sense, darling.

No, cis does not qualify in your opinion. Seriously what about this is so hard that its failing to get through your skull? Let me put it in caps to see if that makes a difference to you YOUR OPINION IS NOT A FACT stop trying to present your perverse views as such when they manifestly are not.

This is getting quite cute now that you feel the need to expand a simple acronym for some bizare reason - we are all perfectly aware of what it stands for and what they are. Indeed, you insufferably trying to appear clever, much to your detriment, seems to be harming your 'cause' as opposed to scoring you any petty little points. However your whining about them being big old meanies is rather amusing - you lot really need to get thicker skins if such non-insults and perfectly legitimate views upset you so much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (77)
26.92%
No (209)
73.08%

Watched Threads