Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Has anyone got any experience of applying for a forensic psychology doctorate or have successfully managed to obtain a place on one? I went to the Birmingham University Postgrad open day and fell in love with the course and the uni and really hope to be in with a chance!

My route into (hopefully!) obtaining a place:

2.1 English Language degree
    MSc Psychology Conversion
    2 years experience mentoring in a prison (keyholder, independent work)
    Recently offered a paid permanent job in a prison working one-to-one with inmates and running small groups

I asked at the open day whether my MSc conversion will put me at a disadvantage and i was told not at all.

Can anyone shed some light into the application/interview process whether it was a Birmingham or Nottingham?

Thank you!
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Catk90)
    Hi all,

Has anyone got any experience of applying for a forensic psychology doctorate or have successfully managed to obtain a place on one? I went to the Birmingham University Postgrad open day and fell in love with the course and the uni and really hope to be in with a chance!

Recently offered a paid permanent job in a prison working one-to-one with inmates and running small groups

I asked at the open day whether my MSc conversion will put me at a disadvantage and i was told not at all.

Can anyone shed some light into the application/interview process whether it was a Birmingham or Nottingham?

Thank you!
    It will all be on their websites so the first thing to do is do your research and make sure that you follow the processes. Contact potential supervisors beforehand to discuss topics and funding.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Thank you!
    Did you do the mentoring with Trailblazers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    Did you do the mentoring with Trailblazers?
    I did! I still do, did you work with them?

ReputationRep:
    I did! I still do, did you work with them?
    Yeah, I do! Started earlier this year at HMP Brinsford Where are you based?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    Yeah, I do! Started earlier this year at HMP Brinsford Where are you based?
    Ahhhh amazing how you finding it? I’m at HMP Isis
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi all,

Thank you!

Congratulations on your interest in getting your PhD done. A Forensic Psychology Doctorate is a very unique area and you should be proud of yourself should you get in.

I am not doing a PhD in Forensics lol, but I am doing a PhD at Cranfield University and the processes are pretty much the same for most PhDs. One thing you need to show in your interview which you will definitely have is your research interest in forensics.

They would explore the research interest in your research proposal which I believe you have written. Find a way to link your proposed topic to the aim, objectives and methodology. Find a way to show persistence if results are not going your way and the ability of working alone for long hours. Perhaps you could as well discuss about a recent journal in forensic psychology which you have read?

All the very best with your application and interview. I hope it goes well!

Cheers

-Cranfield University TSR.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.