The Student Room Group

University of Amsterdam (Psychology) Selection Procedure

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Catsarepurrfect
Thank you! Same :biggrin:

hi, hope you see this, I was spiraling and thinking about how much study material I will have to cover in the study week prior to the exam, usually I would not have an issue but I have my mocks around march as well so I would probably only have like 2-3 hours to study for my selection test, will that be enough, considering how much material there is? if it's in a PDF format can You please let me know how many pages long it is?
Original post by roshnijesrani
hi, hope you see this, I was spiraling and thinking about how much study material I will have to cover in the study week prior to the exam, usually I would not have an issue but I have my mocks around march as well so I would probably only have like 2-3 hours to study for my selection test, will that be enough, considering how much material there is? if it's in a PDF format can You please let me know how many pages long it is?

Hi! I hope you are feeling better! I don't think 2 or 3 hours will be enough. You have 2 lectures, both have around 2 hours and then you have around 50 pages of literature for each of the topics. But for one of the topics, the literature is quite useless as the lecture explains pretty much everything. So 2 lectures and 50 pages. The university itself says you need about 25 hours to study, but i think 10-15 should be enough if you work hard. Also depends how you learn best, as some people don't really need to write notes and they learn better by just listening. Which is not my case, so i spent more then 2 hours on each of the lectures as i often stopped them to make notes. What i would do, is consider how much is each of these things (mocks and selection) going to affect my future and how much do i really want this. For example how much do you want to get into amsterdam? Is it your dream uni or is it just the "meh, we will see, i can try" option? Will you get there with bad mocks? Do you really need good marks from mocks? What will happen if you get bad marks from mocks? Will it affect any of your uni applications? Do you really need to put so much work into the mocks? Are you studying so much for the mocks because you are nearly failing them or because you want the best marks possible? Because the thing is, i don't really know how your education works and what role mocks have in you uni application, especially during covid. But i know, that if you spend 2-3 hours on the selection it is not very likely you will get in and it could just be a waste of time. Unless you already know these topic from studying them from before, of course. So if you are studying psychology as a subject in school, it will probably be easier. Maybe also study really intensively for the mocks now (if you are not doing that already), so you have more time for the selection in the selection week. Best of luck! I know it is hard, but try not to stress too much. If you plan ahead and prioritise, you can still do it! Don't let it overwhelm you, you are stronger, than you think. Sending hug, love and encouragement your way! :hugs::party:
Hi! I hope you are feeling better! I don't think 2 or 3 hours will be enough. You have 2 lectures, both have around 2 hours and then you have around 50 pages of literature for each of the topics. But for one of the topics, the literature is quite useless as the lecture explains pretty much everything. So 2 lectures and 50 pages. The university itself says you need about 25 hours to study, but i think 10-15 should be enough if you work hard. Also depends how you learn best, as some people don't really need to write notes and they learn better by just listening. Which is not my case, so i spent more then 2 hours on each of the lectures as i often stopped them to make notes. What i would do, is consider how much is each of these things (mocks and selection) going to affect my future and how much do i really want this. For example how much do you want to get into amsterdam? Is it your dream uni or is it just the "meh, we will see, i can try" option? Will you get there with bad mocks? Do you really need good marks from mocks? What will happen if you get bad marks from mocks? Will it affect any of your uni applications? Do you really need to put so much work into the mocks? Are you studying so much for the mocks because you are nearly failing them or because you want the best marks possible? Because the thing is, i don't really know how your education works and what role mocks have in you uni application, especially during covid. But i know, that if you spend 2-3 hours on the selection it is not very likely you will get in and it could just be a waste of time. Unless you already know these topic from studying them from before, of course. So if you are studying psychology as a subject in school, it will probably be easier. Maybe also study really intensively for the mocks now (if you are not doing that already), so you have more time for the selection in the selection week. Best of luck! I know it is hard, but try not to stress too much. If you plan ahead and prioritise, you can still do it! Don't let it overwhelm you, you are stronger, than you think. Sending hug, love and encouragement your way! :hugs::party:

I- you are literally so nice. But what I meant was 2-3 hours each day so like 14-21 hours in the study week, but thank you so much for breaking everything down and taking time out of your day to help me out. hope you get into your dream uni and I will try not to stress too much thanks once again
Original post by roshnijesrani
I- you are literally so nice. But what I meant was 2-3 hours each day so like 14-21 hours in the study week, but thank you so much for breaking everything down and taking time out of your day to help me out. hope you get into your dream uni and I will try not to stress too much thanks once again

Oh yeah, that should be enough time :biggrin: glad to help! Hope everything works out for you!
Hi, I was wondering if you got in.
Original post by Mayahuls

Depends on who are you asking. If you are asking me and other this year's applicants, we don't know yet.

Depends on who are you asking. If you are asking me and other this year's applicants, we don't know yet.

Sorry, I’m new here, just became a member, I guess I should have replied with a quote. I was asking (or trying to ask😄) to the person who got a lower mark last year.
Sorry, I’m new here, just became a member, I guess I should have replied with a quote. I was asking (or trying to ask😄) to the person who got a lower mark last year.

Ok, then i recommend you ask again with a quote, otherwise they may not get the notification :biggrin:
Reply 128
Original post by AllAnother
Hey guys! I applied to the Psych program at UvA this February, but due to a family emergency (health issues within immediate family), I did not have the time to study as much as I would've wanted to. Thus, my score was quite a bit lower than I would've wanted it to be (46) and I am now terribly worried that I won't get in this fall. Is there anyone out there who scored equal to my score or maybe even less that still got in?

Hi,

can I ask you if you got an offer after all?

Thank you:smile:
Reply 129
hey guys - i'm applying to the psychology and the liberal arts and sciences courses at UvA. I do psychology IB at HL... is it recommended to look over research methods ahead of the lectures?
Reply 130
Original post by kiki.k
hey guys - i'm applying to the psychology and the liberal arts and sciences courses at UvA. I do psychology IB at HL... is it recommended to look over research methods ahead of the lectures?

omgg i wish i had seen this before but i guess you've figured by now. Bruh IB psych helped so much right?! How was your test??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending