Finding friends at uni Watch

lepianovache
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi everyone,

The first semester of my first year of uni is coming to a close, and I have surprised myself as I haven't really made any friends yet.

I like the people on my course but I haven't exactly 'clicked' with them properly. I feel like they like me too but it's not to the extent that we'd hang out much in our free time.

I've tried joining societies but I find it very intimidating. I overthink too much and psych myself out of going to events.

I'm looking for a bit reassurance, and wondering how and when other people met friends whilst at uni? Any advice would be appreciated.

I have hope, but it's been getting a little lonely recently.

Thanks in advance
Rock Fan
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by lepianovache)
Hi everyone,

The first semester of my first year of uni is coming to a close, and I have surprised myself as I haven't really made any friends yet.

I like the people on my course but I haven't exactly 'clicked' with them properly. I feel like they like me too but it's not to the extent that we'd hang out much in our free time.

I've tried joining societies but I find it very intimidating. I overthink too much and psych myself out of going to events.

I'm looking for a bit reassurance, and wondering how and when other people met friends whilst at uni? Any advice would be appreciated.

I have hope, but it's been getting a little lonely recently.

Thanks in advance
The best chance of making friends is joining socities
Herts PG Student Rep
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi lepianovache,

I realise it's easier said than done - but I wouldn't worry too much. While I met one of my housemates on literally the first day of uni, I didn't meet the group of friends I have now until the start of second year. They were all on my course, but we never really spoke until then (through one of the unis engineering projects, incidentally).

To echo what Rock Fan said above, societies and sports are definitely a great way of meeting people. At Herts we have Active Students, which is a bunch of free sport sessions run by the SU, and I've found them great for making friends - there's invariably someone new that turns up every week, so you're bound not to be the only one! Taster sessions for societies or events are often good for that sort of thing as everyone is more or less in the same boat. It's just a matter of making that leap to go 😊

Hope that helps!

Theo
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
hallamstudents
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I think that you need to visit events at your uni, meet new people and not think much about becoming friends with someone. It will happen unexpectedly, most likely, I had that way. And my closest friends are not my coursemates.

Valeriia
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (10)
35.71%
No (18)
64.29%

Watched Threads