The Student Room Group

Will I be able to cope with these A-levels?

So, I am currently still doing my IGCSEs in Y11, but I am already thinking about what to do for my A-levels. I am strong in maths, physics and I am also planning to choose chemistry and computer science. I am not so good at computer science, but I still wish to choose it. I am prepared to put quite a lot of work. Now, my question is, for those who experienced similar A-levels, how to cope with all this work? I don't have an idea how much work A-levels are, so I need someone to tell me if I will be studying 24/7 for these subjects and if I will have any free time whatsoever for extracurricular activities.

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
I am in my second year, and I study Maths, Physics and Chemistry. A Levels are a lot more difficult than GCSEs, especially in 2nd year. We have a lot of free time in sixth form outside of lessons to do independent work, so it will be up to you to manage your time. If you are willing to put the work in and you enjoy the subjects, you’ll be fine. You should look out for open days for sixth forms, and ask the teachers what the work load is like. Good luck! :smile:
If you do not like computing do not do it at A-Level. There is zero benefit.
Reply 4
I didn't say I don't like computer science. I just said that I am not very good at it, but I am enthusiastic about the subject and I wish to put in work for it.
Original post by ivasenpai
I didn't say I don't like computer science. I just said that I am not very good at it, but I am enthusiastic about the subject and I wish to put in work for it.

You're contradicting yourself. You do not like it and yet claim to be enthusiastic about it?
Reply 6
Original post by anonymous1231231
You're contradicting yourself. You do not like it and yet claim to be enthusiastic about it?

I am not contradicting myself. I have never stated that I don't like computer science.
Reply 7
Original post by anonymous1231231

Hes not. He is saying that he isn't very good at it, but is enthusiastic about it. Just like people can with anything such as sports, love it but not be very good at it. But if you're enthusiastic about it, if you're able to revise, use it to the advantage and try improve at the topics youre not so good at
Reply 8
Original post by Weece
Hes not. He is saying that he isn't very good at it, but is enthusiastic about it. Just like people can with anything such as sports, love it but not be very good at it. But if you're enthusiastic about it, if you're able to revise, use it to the advantage and try improve at the topics youre not so good at

Thank you!!!

P.S *she :h:
Reply 9
Thank you!!!

P.S *she :h:

oops. My bad. Good luck with it all though :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Weece
oops. My bad. Good luck with it all though :smile:

thank you! I still have a lot of time though, but I still wish to know in which direction I am heading :smile: I know that I am ready to put in work for these subjects and get good grades, but the only thing that could scare me is the overwhelming work of computer science which can be challenging (due to my lack of knowledge). However, as I said, I am willing to put in effort:smile:
Reply 11
thank you! I still have a lot of time though, but I still wish to know in which direction I am heading :smile: I know that I am ready to put in work for these subjects and get good grades, but the only thing that could scare me is the overwhelming work of computer science which can be challenging (due to my lack of knowledge). However, as I said, I am willing to put in effort:smile:

Yeah you've still got a few months left before exams. If you're able to, set aside some free time after school or on the weekends to try and research bits about computer science that youre not sure about. By the time the exams come around, you would've at least learn something about each topic and considering a fsir amount is logic based, you should be able to go off the basic knowledge to get decent grades, then obviously if youre willing enough to look into it even more, go ahead to get the best grades you can
So, I am currently still doing my IGCSEs in Y11, but I am already thinking about what to do for my A-levels. I am strong in maths, physics and I am also planning to choose chemistry and computer science. I am not so good at computer science, but I still wish to choose it. I am prepared to put quite a lot of work. Now, my question is, for those who experienced similar A-levels, how to cope with all this work? I don't have an idea how much work A-levels are, so I need someone to tell me if I will be studying 24/7 for these subjects and if I will have any free time whatsoever for extracurricular activities.

if your not good at computer science you shouldnt take it as it will take up a considerable amount of your time. As your strong in Maths and Physics i would suggest looking into Further Maths

So I take maths, physics and chemistry and I can tell you from experience IT IS A LOT OF HARD HARD WORK. As someone currently studying for year 13 mocks I am stressed beyond belief. I ould really consider if you enjoy these subjects. If you have doubt in your mind, dont take the subject. The best advice I can give to a year 11 is only take subjects you have a love and curiocity for. A levels arent just about the work in the lesson or the homework, it about the hours you put in between the lessons and the wider reading you do to gan a better understanding of the subject which will help you get better grades. Unless you are prepared and excited to put time and curiosity into your subjects, I would seriously consider whether you should take the subject or not.
Reply 14
Original post by naomi_lilian
So I take maths, physics and chemistry and I can tell you from experience IT IS A LOT OF HARD HARD WORK. As someone currently studying for year 13 mocks I am stressed beyond belief. I ould really consider if you enjoy these subjects. If you have doubt in your mind, dont take the subject. The best advice I can give to a year 11 is only take subjects you have a love and curiocity for. A levels arent just about the work in the lesson or the homework, it about the hours you put in between the lessons and the wider reading you do to gan a better understanding of the subject which will help you get better grades. Unless you are prepared and excited to put time and curiosity into your subjects, I would seriously consider whether you should take the subject or not.

Thank you for your feedback:smile: I wanted to ask you, if you really enjoyed IGCSE physics, maths and chemistry? Was it easy for you to get good grades for them?
The workload is a massive step up to A level but if you can put in the extra work and dedicate time consistently without slacking then you will likely be able to stay on top of things, I managed A* in physics and chemistry at GCSE but could not manage the amount of work for them at A level as I am quite lazy and don't tend to put in much work outside of class. If you're dedicated enough then you should be fine, there are people in my year taking all 3 sciences as well as maths and further maths at A level and do fine because of how disciplined they are in their schedule to keeping on top of doing work in free periods and at home. If you enjoy computer science you and think you can handle the work load of the others then you may as well take it as it helps you to stay motivated and interest in 6th form. Also most schools offer the ability to drop a subject down to 3 after the first month so you could do so if you have the chance and have a feel for the amount of work needed and if it is achievable for you. With sciences you will be studying and putting in work a lot but it sounds like you are the type of person that can do so and be able to achieve in 6th form if you do.

Hey! Its great to see you are looking at what A-levels you may do. They are a huge step up from GCSE! the advice i would give is to keep up with everything and start revising for exams as eaarly as possible. Do lots of past papers as questions can be tricky. I wouldnt put yourself into too many extra curricular activities as I imagine you will be full with work load. I hope this helps!
Sophia :smile:
Thank you for your feedback:smile: I wanted to ask you, if you really enjoyed IGCSE physics, maths and chemistry? Was it easy for you to get good grades for them?

I did enjoy them but of course it was still difficult to achieve the grades I did. I just did alot of practice papers. Problem is is that GCSEs are so much easier than A levels. You can literally recite a textbook and expect to get all the answers correct. A Levels arent like that. So yes, I would say really enjoying the subject is a key factor as you have to be prepared to put the work it.
Good luck on making your choices!
Reply 18
Strangely, I don’t think computer science a level isn’t needed to do a computer science degree. So I’d recommend you look into FM instead as this would help you should you decide to do computer science, physical sciences or a maths degree.
Reply 19
Original post by em1602
Strangely, I don’t think computer science a level isn’t needed to do a computer science degree. So I’d recommend you look into FM instead as this would help you should you decide to do computer science, physical sciences or a maths degree.

On the other hand, if you’re enthusiastic about computer science it will help you enjoy college/sixth form

Quick Reply

Latest