Should I pick A-Level Art? Watch

SmolPotato
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I'm actually a GCSE student seeking for some advice right now. We have to choose our A-Levels, and I'm sure to already pick Chemistry and Biology, but I'm juggling between Maths and Art. As in, both sciences already contain maths within the subject, so cool, choose art. But then I also think that Art could be a waste of a grade as I don't know what I actually want to do in the future. Any advice on this?
chowarth
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Go with whatever you would enjoy most over the 2 years - doing both Chemistry and Biology would look great to a uni as long as you're going the science route. At this stage being unsure on one subject choice isn't too much to worry about, there is generally the option to change courses if you change your mind also?

Hope this helps.
Student130702
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I definitely wouldn’t say art is a waste of an a-level and you can always change if you don’t enjoy it. The first thing I would say is talk to your teacher see what they think you are capable of but most people find this a-level really fun and it’s of a good contrast to your other a-levels which would be beneficial to you as you won’t be doing the same thing over and over again and it would also demonstrate a wider range of skills to universities if you wanted to go into that or even employers. It’s a lot more work than people expect it to be but so is maths it’s really about what you enjoy doing that matters the most. And since the topics slightly overlap this could be of a big advantage at boosting your grades since you wouldn’t have to revise as much. Both maths and art are good a-levels even though they are so different from each other.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SmolPotato
Rep:
?
(Original post by chowarth)
Go with whatever you would enjoy most over the 2 years - doing both Chemistry and Biology would look great to a uni as long as you're going the science route. At this stage being unsure on one subject choice isn't too much to worry about, there is generally the option to change courses if you change your mind also?

Hope this helps.
I see, thank you! I heard that you are able to change your subjects within the first few weeks of Year 12. I do feel like I should go with art as it'll balance out with the more academic subjects
SmolPotato
Rep:
?
(Original post by Student130702)
I definitely wouldn’t say art is a waste of an a-level and you can always change if you don’t enjoy it. The first thing I would say is talk to your teacher see what they think you are capable of but most people find this a-level really fun and it’s of a good contrast to your other a-levels which would be beneficial to you as you won’t be doing the same thing over and over again and it would also demonstrate a wider range of skills to universities if you wanted to go into that or even employers. It’s a lot more work than people expect it to be but so is maths it’s really about what you enjoy doing that matters the most. And since the topics slightly overlap this could be of a big advantage at boosting your grades since you wouldn’t have to revise as much. Both maths and art are good a-levels even though they are so different from each other.
Yeah, I think I'm only saying that art could be a waste of a subject by what some people have been saying to me.

My art teacher really wants me to take it for A-Level, so they really think I'm capable for it. And my maths teacher did say that a contrast of more academic but also more creative subjects would be good overall.

And yeah, it would allow me to focus on the sciences more, which is good, as I believe they are packed with topics.

Thank you for the advice, it has really helped!
Mufinntops
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Try and do both! (if you're allowed to do 4) See what you like more.
I do both subjects and art is definitely more time consuming but more fun
caffeinated.
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hey- I do Biology, chemistry and fine art at a level. I’m in my final year. Art is a massive workload, and there have been times that I have struggled massively. Everybody in my class has. Like you, I took a level art because I thought it would be a nice break from the sciences and something different, also because the school recommended it due to my GCSE attainment in it. Everybody else in my sciences classes does maths as well and they feel like it helps them (especially in chemistry). I do think that people underestimate the difficulty and the amount of time that you have to dedicate towards art- not only that but at times the whole subject feels more strategic than anything else, in how the portfolios need to be put together in order to gain marks. I also thought that it would allow me more time to focus on the sciences because it would be one fewer subjects memorisation, but just remember that a decent painting or study can take anywhere upwards of an hour at least… each time. There have been times that I’ve absolutely loved art (the timed paintings and exam pieces) but there have been times I’ve really wondered what the hell I was doing choosing it. But to be honest I have felt the same with chemistry and most people feel the same with a subject at a point. I can tell you what I have loved though is not doing maths at A level
beaaaan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
i'm exactly the same! i'm in yr 11 right now and am certain i will do chem and bio. i want to do 4 a levels and am trying to choose between history, art and maths for my 3rd and 4th. i'm going off the idea of doing maths more, but am worried by the amount of work and effort chem bio history AND art will be, especially because i don't know yet if i want to do an art related career and you don't need a level art to do a foundation art diploma at uni as you do in other subjects eg bio and chem for medicine. plus the fact that chem bio and history are some of the most time consuming and difficult subjects, i'm worried art will affect my grades in them. and although i want to do art as a break from academic subjects, i know it will probably cause me more stress than the others and take more time! i'm so stressed with what to pick aaahhh
Last edited by beaaaan; 5 months ago
caffeinated.
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by beaaaan)
i'm exactly the same! i'm in yr 11 right now and am certain i will do chem and bio. i want to do 4 a levels and am trying to choose between history, art and maths for my 3rd and 4th. i'm going off the idea of doing maths more, but am worried by the amount of work and effort chem bio history AND art will be, especially because i don't know yet if i want to do an art related career and you don't need a level art to do a foundation art diploma at uni as you do in other subjects eg bio and chem for medicine. plus the fact that chem bio and history are some of the most time consuming and difficult subjects, i'm worried art will affect my grades in them. and although i want to do art as a break from academic subjects, i know it will probably cause me more stress than the others and take more time! i'm so stressed with what to pick aaahhh
Art does provide a break from more academic subjects in terms of not having to memorise stuff - but that's about it. It's a huge amount of work and I would not recommend it as a fourth a level, especially not if you are planning to continue 4 throughout the two years. To be honest I would not recommend doing 4 unless your school is making you either.
beaaaan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by caffeinated.)
Art does provide a break from more academic subjects in terms of not having to memorise stuff - but that's about it. It's a huge amount of work and I would not recommend it as a fourth a level, especially not if you are planning to continue 4 throughout the two years. To be honest I would not recommend doing 4 unless your school is making you either.
thank you, i know 4 would be a lot of work... i just wish they had kept as levels to drop after the first year in everything- not just maths. it seems like a waste of time to do 4 and then drop one after the first year after finding it is too much work but not receive a qualification for it. that was one of the reasons i was’t sure if i wanted to take 4- although it would give me the flexibility at the end of yr 12 if i did want to change, you get nothing for all the work you put in the first year. the reason i was going to do 4 was because my teachers said i would manage it (im predicted good grades in everything) but know with my choices, 4 wouldn’t be very suitable!
caffeinated.
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by beaaaan)
thank you, i know 4 would be a lot of work... i just wish they had kept as levels to drop after the first year in everything- not just maths. it seems like a waste of time to do 4 and then drop one after the first year after finding it is too much work but not receive a qualification for it. that was one of the reasons i was’t sure if i wanted to take 4- although it would give me the flexibility at the end of yr 12 if i did want to change, you get nothing for all the work you put in the first year. the reason i was going to do 4 was because my teachers said i would manage it (im predicted good grades in everything) but know with my choices, 4 wouldn’t be very suitable!
I was originally going to do 4 to start as well - (biology, chemistry, psychology and fine art) I dropped psychology at the beginning of year 12 after a few weeks. I am extremely glad I haven't done 4 now, especially having to start work on the art exam topic now and produce a folder in about 3 months while revising for other subjects.
bloated_utopia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
i do fine art a level and i love it. but it is a lot of work. i want to do art in the future so it tends to be the subject i prioritise when workloads get heavy. i would recommend it if you enjoy art and/or if you think there's a chance you'd want to do art in the future. but if you want to do sciences maths maybe more useful, since it'll help with equations and the like, i guess. starting with four and dropping one maybe an idea, means you can make an informed decision.
SmolPotato
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Mufinntops)
Try and do both! (if you're allowed to do 4) See what you like more.
I do both subjects and art is definitely more time consuming but more fun
I'm so sorry for replying four months later! There isn't an option to do 4 subjects in the school I go to - however we have an extra option thing (so work experience is one for example) and core maths is one of them. I have a feeling that would be better for me - thank you for the advice
SmolPotato
Rep:
?
(Original post by caffeinated.)
Hey- I do Biology, chemistry and fine art at a level. I’m in my final year. Art is a massive workload, and there have been times that I have struggled massively. Everybody in my class has. Like you, I took a level art because I thought it would be a nice break from the sciences and something different, also because the school recommended it due to my GCSE attainment in it. Everybody else in my sciences classes does maths as well and they feel like it helps them (especially in chemistry). I do think that people underestimate the difficulty and the amount of time that you have to dedicate towards art- not only that but at times the whole subject feels more strategic than anything else, in how the portfolios need to be put together in order to gain marks. I also thought that it would allow me more time to focus on the sciences because it would be one fewer subjects memorisation, but just remember that a decent painting or study can take anywhere upwards of an hour at least… each time. There have been times that I’ve absolutely loved art (the timed paintings and exam pieces) but there have been times I’ve really wondered what the hell I was doing choosing it. But to be honest I have felt the same with chemistry and most people feel the same with a subject at a point. I can tell you what I have loved though is not doing maths at A level
I see, that's where I'm kind of torn. I feel like maths could really help me with biology and chemistry, but then at the same time, although I am good at maths; I'm not naturally gifted in it haha. So I feel core maths may be alright. Yet from reading the thread and from my own knowledge, just taking 4 subjects in itself is going to be more than just a hassle. And you're right - art is time consuming and can be stressful in itself - all A-Levels are hard in their own way. Thank you for your comment
SmolPotato
Rep:
?
(Original post by bloated_utopia)
i do fine art a level and i love it. but it is a lot of work. i want to do art in the future so it tends to be the subject i prioritise when workloads get heavy. i would recommend it if you enjoy art and/or if you think there's a chance you'd want to do art in the future. but if you want to do sciences maths maybe more useful, since it'll help with equations and the like, i guess. starting with four and dropping one maybe an idea, means you can make an informed decision.
Thanks for the comment - I've just replied to another comment saying about core maths and if that would be alright. It'd mean I would be doing 4 subjects in Year 12, which I think could be too much - but I don't feel like the full maths A-Level is best for me. I do like art, but as someone mentioned above, I don't think one is required the A-Level for uni, like medicine is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.55%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (64)
9.55%
No I am happy with my course choice (379)
56.57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.33%

Watched Threads