MSMuhammad23
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
A satellite of mass 3000 kg moves from a parking orbit of radius 6800 km to a geostationary
orbit of radius 42 000 km. The mass of the Earth is 6.0 × 1024 kg. What is the magnitude of the change in gravitational potential?
A 8.4 J kg-1
B 2.5×104Jkg-1
C 4.9×107Jkg-1
D 1.5 × 1011 J kg -1
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MSMuhammad23)
A satellite of mass 3000 kg moves from a parking orbit of radius 6800 km to a geostationary
orbit of radius 42 000 km. The mass of the Earth is 6.0 × 1024 kg. What is the magnitude of the change in gravitational potential?
A 8.4 J kg-1
B 2.5×104Jkg-1
C 4.9×107Jkg-1
D 1.5 × 1011 J kg -1
What is it that you don't know? It is applying the equation of gravitational potential  \phi = - \dfrac{GM}{r} .
MSMuhammad23
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eimmanuel)
What is it that you don't know? It is applying the equation of gravitational potential  \phi = - \dfrac{GM}{r} .
I don’t know how to get the answer, it is C but I can’t get it. You are supposed to use square root GMm/r
Eimmanuel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don’t know how to get the answer, it is C but I can’t get it. You are supposed to use square root GMm/r
What is square root GMm/r?
MSMuhammad23
Rep:
?
What is square root GMm/r?
That is the formula is think that you use
Eimmanuel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That is the formula is think that you use
I am asking you what does it represent? And are you this is formula that you are supposed to apply. The formula that you should apply is gravitational potential is given to you in post #2.
https://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/phy...onal-potential
Eimmanuel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A 8.4 J kg-1
B 2.5×104Jkg-1
C 4.9×107Jkg-1
D 1.5 × 1011 J kg -1
You need to find the gravitational potential at radius 6800 km first. Then find the gravitational potential at radius 42 000 km. Lastly compute the difference.
MSMuhammad23
Rep:
?
I am asking you what does it represent? And are you this is formula that you are supposed to apply. The formula that you should apply is gravitational potential is given to you in post #2.
https://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/phy...onal-potential
Thanks, was just using the wrong formula
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (726)
33.81%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (920)
42.85%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (407)
18.96%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (94)
4.38%

Watched Threads