The Student Room Group

How do you study and try to retain all the information?

Hey guys,
I have started psychology A-level and I find it super interesting and take part in class discussions but when I sit the end of topic test I find it difficult to include the case studies and answer it properly..

Any suggestion to how I can revise and retain the information? Also I would appreciate good resource and way of being motivated to study this subject. :smile:

thankss
Reply 1
I strongly recommend taking notes on a GCSE POD clip then using that to quiz yourself,it helps move the information into your long term memory
Reply 2
Create posters and flashcards. I studied A-level Psychology and fortunately attained an A. Generally, you can include a study as the theory or as an evaluation of the theory. For example, if you wanted to include it as the theory you could do this:

Behavioral psychology states that we are all born as 'blank slates' and that no behavior is innate, all behavior is learned. This has been shown by psychologists such as Skinner (1938) in an animal study with rats. ---> very briefly discuss what he did and explain the theory of this. So, you would link the reward to the rats to positive enforcement etc.

Now, because you have used a study in the theory section you can evaluate it. Eg: Skinner's study only shows operant conditioning in rats, this is a significant issue because to what extent can we generalize the cognitive, biological and behavioral responses of rats to humans? As a result of this, it may be unreliable to say that this is true for humans and thus creates a serious limitation in using Skinner's study to explain operant conditioning as a universal theory of how we learn behaviors.

I hope you can see where I am going with this!
Reply 3
Original post by GemGoth
I strongly recommend taking notes on a GCSE POD clip then using that to quiz yourself,it helps move the information into your long term memory

Thank you so much for your advise! I will take it on board.
:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Acetyl
Create posters and flashcards. I studied A-level Psychology and fortunately attained an A. Generally, you can include a study as the theory or as an evaluation of the theory. For example, if you wanted to include it as the theory you could do this:

Behavioral psychology states that we are all born as 'blank slates' and that no behavior is innate, all behavior is learned. This has been shown by psychologists such as Skinner (1938) in an animal study with rats. ---> very briefly discuss what he did and explain the theory of this. So, you would link the reward to the rats to positive enforcement etc.

Now, because you have used a study in the theory section you can evaluate it. Eg: Skinner's study only shows operant conditioning in rats, this is a significant issue because to what extent can we generalize the cognitive, biological and behavioral responses of rats to humans? As a result of this, it may be unreliable to say that this is true for humans and thus creates a serious limitation in using Skinner's study to explain operant conditioning as a universal theory of how we learn behaviors.

I hope you can see where I am going with this!

Hello user Acetyl,
Thank you so much for your time to respond to my message! It is very impressive to hear you achieved an A in psychology! I will make sure I take on your writing technique and try to achieve a good grade as well.

Are you studying psychology at university or another course?

Kind regards (i don't know if I am meant to be so formal but oh well hahah:tongue:)
Reply 5
Original post by Sadaf2244
Hello user Acetyl,
Thank you so much for your time to respond to my message! It is very impressive to hear you achieved an A in psychology! I will make sure I take on your writing technique and try to achieve a good grade as well.

Are you studying psychology at university or another course?

Kind regards (i don't know if I am meant to be so formal but oh well hahah:tongue:)

I study chemistry at university now. One thing my teacher always told us to do is link evaluation to validity and reliability. Once you have done 'Issues and Debates in Psychology' you can link this to even more (eg: determinism, reductionism, gender bias, ethics etc). This is good because it shows synoptic knowledge and layers your AO3. Generally, I believe it is better to do 3 very detailed and thorough evaluation points than 5 - 6 short sentences because short AO3s don't really show an understanding of the subject as a whole.

Please feel free to contact me if you ever need anything! I am always happy to lend a hand with the essays. Our A2 optional modules were schizophrenia, relationships, and aggression.

You can achieve an A also!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Hey guys,
I have started psychology A-level and I find it super interesting and take part in class discussions but when I sit the end of topic test I find it difficult to include the case studies and answer it properly..

Any suggestion to how I can revise and retain the information? Also I would appreciate good resource and way of being motivated to study this subject. :smile:

thankss

I have an awful revision technique but it seems to work for me, so it might for you too! I basically continuously write out the information using various textbooks and online resources (try simplypsychology!) to confirm my understanding but everytime I write notes I condense them a little more, I eventually try to fit it into a few bulletpoints on a revision card and get friends/family to test me on key content if i have time! i suggest practicing essay questions particularly those including evaluation as this will prepare you for exams/tests, perhaps give them to a teacher to mark to help you improve in the future. Finally, I recommend that after every lesson you make sure you fully understand the concepts/theories/case studies before the next lesson and make sure notes are completed so you don't fall behind and get stressed over the large amount of content/work to be done! this was something I really struggled with doing but it does really help!
For psychology do you need to know exact evidence? As for some essay questions I’ve written i haven’t written the evidence exactly but remember parts of it, would that be good enough
Reply 8
Original post by cbains02
For psychology do you need to know exact evidence? As for some essay questions I’ve written i haven’t written the evidence exactly but remember parts of it, would that be good enough

I would say it depends on what the question is on and what the evidence is, if it's a question of social learning theory it would be recommended to write about Bandura's study but I don't think crazy amounts of detail would be required as long as you have the basic outline of the study and it's findings and how this supports the theory, but the date and very specific details are probably not as important. In terms of using evidence as evaluation like supporting studies or real world application you can often get marks without including the names of the researcher, the date or specific methodology as long as you can show how the findings evaluate the theory/concept. So maybe try and remember as much evidence as you can but you probably needn't worry too much about specifics, my teachers normally don't like it if you include too much methodology of supporting studies in evaluation as it is apparently unnecessary! Hope that kinda helps, sorry if you meant other evidence and not particularly studies!
Spaced repetition is the best way to retain information over long periods of time.
Here's a video explaining how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-zNHHpXoMM
Reply 10
Helloo,

Thank you so much for this advise, it's not an awful technique because it worked for economics... i literally write the same information using different resources and the information stayed with me. So i guess it would work for psychology as well! I have recently started writing essays and pretty much get half marks because the theories are not 100% correct eg: number of participants and percentages who maybe gave the wrong eyewitness testimony but hopefully repetition helps it transfer to my LTM. :h: Are you studying psychology in university?
Many thanks,
sadaf x

Original post by nhill
I have an awful revision technique but it seems to work for me, so it might for you too! I basically continuously write out the information using various textbooks and online resources (try simplypsychology!) to confirm my understanding but everytime I write notes I condense them a little more, I eventually try to fit it into a few bulletpoints on a revision card and get friends/family to test me on key content if i have time! i suggest practicing essay questions particularly those including evaluation as this will prepare you for exams/tests, perhaps give them to a teacher to mark to help you improve in the future. Finally, I recommend that after every lesson you make sure you fully understand the concepts/theories/case studies before the next lesson and make sure notes are completed so you don't fall behind and get stressed over the large amount of content/work to be done! this was something I really struggled with doing but it does really help!
Reply 11
Thank you so much, really appreciate it! This video really helped :colondollar::h:
sadaf x
Original post by Infinite Series
Spaced repetition is the best way to retain information over long periods of time.
Here's a video explaining how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-zNHHpXoMM
Reply 12
Helloo,

Thank you so much for this advise, it's not an awful technique because it worked for economics... i literally write the same information using different resources and the information stayed with me. So i guess it would work for psychology as well! I have recently started writing essays and pretty much get half marks because the theories are not 100% correct eg: number of participants and percentages who maybe gave the wrong eyewitness testimony but hopefully repetition helps it transfer to my LTM. :h: Are you studying psychology in university?
Many thanks,
sadaf x

That's okay! Yeah that's pretty much what I do! I tend to find psychology essay mark schemes are weirdly specific in what they want from you, especially in the evaluation. Is it mainly the studies' details you find yourself struggling with in terms of essays?, maybe look online or ask a teacher for an example to see what level of information is needed, perhaps you're trying to remember too much detail and it could be easier to retain once you know what's needed. Like textbooks often have far more than needed to get the full marks! And no, I'm currently in year 13, so a year to go!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending