The Student Room Group

my friends aren't popular enough for me

i feel so guilty and horrible writing this but i need to see what others think. So i started school A around 8 months ago and i made friends with a group of girls and of course at that time i was quite scared because it was a new school and i didn't have any friends so i hung around with them. I loved being around them and everything. So in school A in yr 10 u can switch to school B, and most people were going from A so i went.I still hung around just them at the start for a few weeks but then i started making loads of friends and recently they've changed to me, pointed out by new best friend. Like i cant explain it, they're just weird. The convo's they have and the way they carry themselves is ways diff to me. Don't get me wrong they're very sensible,smart and ambitious but they just talk, act and carry themselves different to me. The friends they've made are weird as well and people don't really like their new mates much. My other friend who was in our group has ditched hem as well and now shes popular because even she noticed they are weird (they aren't clique nerds/geeks like they have really nice clothes/good fashion sense/ really really pretty). I'm so much more popular than them now, i ain't a "cool kid" but loads of people know me in school and they're like the opposite and they "look-down" on my new mates just because they the most well-behaved at school and stuff. I feel like a b**** and like im being a fake friend but they aren't known at school and they are weird (e.g. always screaming, shouting and laughing about irrelevant things at the school refractory). HELPPP? What are alllll you opinions on me and everything?? thankk you sm
Original post by nicolesm1
i feel so guilty and horrible writing this but i need to see what others think. So i started school A around 8 months ago and i made friends with a group of girls and of course at that time i was quite scared because it was a new school and i didn't have any friends so i hung around with them. I loved being around them and everything. So in school A in yr 10 u can switch to school B, and most people were going from A so i went.I still hung around just them at the start for a few weeks but then i started making loads of friends and recently they've changed to me, pointed out by new best friend. Like i cant explain it, they're just weird. The convo's they have and the way they carry themselves is ways diff to me. Don't get me wrong they're very sensible,smart and ambitious but they just talk, act and carry themselves different to me. The friends they've made are weird as well and people don't really like their new mates much. My other friend who was in our group has ditched hem as well and now shes popular because even she noticed they are weird (they aren't clique nerds/geeks like they have really nice clothes/good fashion sense/ really really pretty). I'm so much more popular than them now, i ain't a "cool kid" but loads of people know me in school and they're like the opposite and they "look-down" on my new mates just because they the most well-behaved at school and stuff. I feel like a b**** and like im being a fake friend but they aren't known at school and they are weird (e.g. always screaming, shouting and laughing about irrelevant things at the school refractory). HELPPP? What are alllll you opinions on me and everything?? thankk you sm

I think that overall if you feel this way then you shouldn't even be friends with them. When you are in a friendship with someone you should feel comfortable with them and have no doubts, in a friendship you shouldn't be focusing on their bad aspects or allowing others opinions on them to affect how you see them. I feel that it is unfair towards your friends if you would rather be popular like your other friend just leave the way she did. But if it does not go the way you think don't expect your past 'weird friends' to come back to you easily. I think that you should pick wisely, being the best behaved isn't always a bad thing, even if it is looked down upon. Pick friends who you know will care for you regardless and help you grow as a person, don't look to any toxic friends who may ruin you and your life just for the sake of popularity. Good luck m8
Original post by nicolesm1

Wow... Okay.. that's a very shallow move... Man, this kind of thing isn't even considered where I'm from. Everyone is friends with everyone no one ****ing cares what the others do. If you ditched them for social status then that's just sad and says a lot about you.. they are your best friends. Damn, that's just sad.. I'm sorry but they don't really deserve you or the other friend that ditched them.
What's the main reason for you not wanting to be friends with them? - they're not popular or that they've changed?
If the main reason is the first, it may be a bit of a mean move but if it makes you actually happier, and you move away from them in a nice way, then that's what you should do. If it's the latter you still have to be kind about it, but you'll probably come away feeling happier with the decision.
You may feel ashamed to be with them, does that mean you don't like to be with them? - would you be feeling like this if you guys only met up outside of school? - because if that's the case then I think you need to think a bit harder about your decision and what you want out of school. Another factor to consider (if you're worried about how others view you) is that no one else pays as much attention to you, as you do - everyone is their own main characters and firends and family are important but still in supporting roles. This may seem a little harsh but it helps me when I'm worried about what others think.
I hope this has helped
hey i was kinda going through what you just described, basically in yr 12 i had some friends who were externals but they were not like my friends since yr7 as they basically tried their best to not get involved in anything, like not going to the common room which sucked bcos we became outcasts and they just never got involved and looked down on people who did get involved and thought it was stupid basically i cut it off with half of them at the start of yr 13 as i realised they were a bunch of fakes and didnt deserve my time.

going to yr 13, i stuck with 2 girls from the original group, similar to yr 12 they didnt like going to the common room or checking out school events which i wanted to see and just were so boring and spent their whole time revising and making fun of people (like mocking people for their exam results or the way the revise etc) and it even got to a point where they mocked my results that i was proud of so by march i dropped them because that was just not on

but anyway im not so happy with my small handful of friends but what im trying to say is if you found they dont suit you (like mine we were just different) then drop that, move on and make better friends

but the fact this is because of popularity is a bit meh
I don't have any advice other than I hope you use your time at school to grow and mature before you enter the real world

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending