Mock exams!!! Help me please?!?!

Watch this thread
Emir_0808
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello people, I just finished my mock exams and to be honest it didn't go well at all. I don't I passed any of them except for Maths since it wasn't hard but the rest of the exams were really challenging especially English Language Papers. Should I be stressed about the mock exams (which I completely failed) and are they important? Does anyone have any tips on how to revise for my subjects before the other mock and before the real exams and what type of revision guides should I get? I am currently studying Maths ( Edexcel), English Language & Literature (AQA), Combined Science (AQA), Geography B ( Edexcel), Business (Edexcel), Religious Education (I don't really know the exam board LOL).
Your help might save my life, thank you.
S.H.Rahman
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
The grade you get will only be the one you get at the end of the year in your end of year exam. Mocks exams are used to give you an indication of where your weaknesses are so you can work on them before the exam. Usually, students don't get much higher than what they get in mocks so teachers usually give you a predicted grade 1 higher than what you get in mocks. This could affect which Sixth Forms or Colleges give you a conditional offer.
lula7464
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Don't worry too much about mocks - they are supposed to help both you and the school judge where you are. Do you know where you fell down? - was it not revising? not understanding the questions? mind going blank? - you need to work out why they weren't so good if you want to really improve for the real ones. My school did another set of mocks in March - does yours? - those will be more accurate.
With exam boards and revsion, I would generally start the revision by printing off the spec and then writing all over it around each bullet point (eg with RE if I saw the word agnostic in the spec, I'd write anything and anything i associated with that, like the arguments for and against etc.) it was a good way for me to see where my knowledge was lacking.
Maths is just a matter of practice, practice and practice - ask your teacher for more problems.
The other subjects with longer answer questions - it's worth going through old papers and noting answers - not full sentences but just write down everything you could say. You wouldn't have time to write everything in the real but this way is allowing links to form in your head and timing isn't something you want to focus on yet.
Hope that helps!
Emir_0808
Rep:
I t
(Original post by lula7464)
Don't worry too much about mocks - they are supposed to help both you and the school judge where you are. Do you know where you fell down? - was it not revising? not understanding the questions? mind going blank? - you need to work out why they weren't so good if you want to really improve for the real ones. My school did another set of mocks in March - does yours? - those will be more accurate.
With exam boards and revsion, I would generally start the revision by printing off the spec and then writing all over it around each bullet point (eg with RE if I saw the word agnostic in the spec, I'd write anything and anything i associated with that, like the arguments for and against etc.) it was a good way for me to see where my knowledge was lacking.
Maths is just a matter of practice, practice and practice - ask your teacher for more problems.
The other subjects with longer answer questions - it's worth going through old papers and noting answers - not full sentences but just write down everything you could say. You wouldn't have time to write everything in the real but this way is allowing links to form in your head and timing isn't something you want to focus on yet.
Hope that helps!
I think my main problem was that I might have learned the topics and go over them but I felt like I needed to answer practice questions so that I know how to answer the questions. Now I think I know where I went wrong, thank you for making me realize that.

By the way, do you know where to get practice questions from or what websites? I have another mock exam on February and I think answering questions would really prepare me for the exams.
lula7464
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Emir_0808)
I t

I think my main problem was that I might have learned the topics and go over them but I felt like I needed to answer practice questions so that I know how to answer the questions. Now I think I know where I went wrong, thank you for making me realize that.

By the way, do you know where to get practice questions from or what websites? I have another mock exam on February and I think answering questions would really prepare me for the exams.
Yeah - practice papers (although sometimes boring and repetitve) are so key in gaining marks. Knowing the content is one thing but knowing how to get the marks is another completely.
Past papers will be online, on the exam board websites. You could probably also ask your teachers. I use physics and maths tutor for sciences and they also give good revsion summaries. Another thing that can be useful is making up your own and trying to answer them - doing this with friends and marking each other's can be really handy.
Another thing I forgot to mention would also be that teaching is the BEST way to revise. If you have a friend who is confused about a topic, taking the time time to help them will also help you massively
Emir_0808
Rep:
(Original post by lula7464)
Yeah - practice papers (although sometimes boring and repetitve) are so key in gaining marks. Knowing the content is one thing but knowing how to get the marks is another completely.
Past papers will be online, on the exam board websites. You could probably also ask your teachers. I use physics and maths tutor for sciences and they also give good revsion summaries. Another thing that can be useful is making up your own and trying to answer them - doing this with friends and marking each other's can be really handy.
Another thing I forgot to mention would also be that teaching is the BEST way to revise. If you have a friend who is confused about a topic, taking the time time to help them will also help you massively
Thank you so much, you made me less stressful and I feel that teaching someone else is a good way to revise and helping that person out. Now that our Christmas break is coming up, I decided that I would make so much condensed revision notes and flashcards so that when it reaches April I do not get panicked and feel stressed. Again, thank you so much
lula7464
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Emir_0808)
Thank you so much, you made me less stressful and I feel that teaching someone else is a good way to revise and helping that person out. Now that our Christmas break is coming up, I decided that I would make so much condensed revision notes and flashcards so that when it reaches April I do not get panicked and feel stressed. Again, thank you so much
Really, it's no problem - I have been in your position so many times!
But please take time over xmas to relax - I've had too many friends that have burnt themselves out with work and then not achieved what they could have as a result. Although it's important to revise a bit and do some work, it is called a school holiday for that exact reason - to allow students to recuperate. Things are gonna get stressful after xmas, no matter how much work you do (it'll never feel like quite enough) so do enjoy it and don't work all the way through it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (37)
26.43%
As I expected (46)
32.86%
Harder (50)
35.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
5%

Watched Threads