Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Here’s a cause that not many of us know about – cows. It’s no joke. Every minute, 27 football fields worth of forests are lost. Deforestation is devastating as we are incinerating a perfect carbon sink for our short term gain; it is the cancer that afflicts the lungs of our planet. The foremost reason of this is beef. We destroy land to grow crops for cattle and for pasture; livestock takes up 30% of Earth’s land. The problem is that cows produce a staggering amount of methane, which is a potent gas; each molecule of methane is equivalent to 23 molecules of carbon dioxide. Additionally the waste they produce and fertilisers that are used contain nitrous oxide, which has 300 times the climate changing power of carbon dioxide! In fact, cows produce more greenhouse gases than the whole transportation sector combined and they use 34 trillion gallons of water every year! However, cows are not to blame.

In many countries throughout the world, inequality is still a huge problem. Due to political corruption, where certain people of higher power are driven by greed, a lot of the money given to progress mitigation vanish into thin air. Many of these officials are linked to oil and fast food companies, and through propaganda, the true causes of climate change are hidden. In fact more than half of America’s congress deny climate change even exists, of which many have strong links to the fossil fuel industry. I suppose this is not surprising when you realise Donald Trump believed climate change to be a hoax created by the Chinese. At the end of the day, it is just cheap and dirty politics and it will be the indigenous people of the world and those who live in poverty that will pay for it.

Share your thoughts...

ReputationRep:
    I am so glad you addressed this issue. I have argued many times with people about the same issue but usually they tell me that it is inevitable and there's nothing to do about it. Pointing out those statistics it's helpful because we see that even a small decrease in beef consumption can make a difference. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anne125)
    I am so glad you addressed this issue. I have argued many times with people about the same issue but usually they tell me that it is inevitable and there's nothing to do about it. Pointing out those statistics it's helpful because we see that even a small decrease in beef consumption can make a difference. Thanks
    I'm just like you...I want people to know the straight facts. A lot of people think climate change is something that is going to happen in the future, but it's happening right now and we can make a difference! Another insane fact for you - 70% of former forests in the Amazon have been turned over for grazing.

ReputationRep:
    Climate change and its EFFECTS

The higher temperatures caused by climate change are triggering unprecedented consequences when it comes to the weather systems and oceans of our planet. Our oceans are so important as they take in a lot of atmospheric carbon dioxide, but as these levels are rising, it is changing the acidity of our waters. This affects a large proportion of marine life and is causing the bleaching of coral reefs; if nothing is done, by 2050 only 5% of Australia’s Great Barrier Reef will remain. The polar regions of the planet are in catastrophic danger. Glaciers and sea ice are melting rapidly thus increasing global sea levels and depleting one of the biggest sources of fresh water on the planet. This is occurring at such an alarming rate that by 2040, there is going to be no sea ice left. In addition, the miles of ice that once reflected a considerable amount of the sun’s rays back into outer space are now gone, which reinforces the rate of climate change.

Our weather patterns are changing dramatically; the increased temperatures and warmer oceans are changing atmospheric currents. Consequently, we should be awaiting more extreme weather. The USA encountered two hurricanes back to back in 2017 (Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Harvey), creating $200 billion worth of damage. In addition, over 9.5 million acres of land were burned over North America due to forest fires. The sudden surges of snow in Britain were caused by these changing weather patterns. Floods and droughts will become more and more common and the reality is that a lot of the world are just not ready for this. Millions of people will be displaced due to rising sea levels which will lead to mass migration; we will be fighting for land.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.