Emir_0808
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone. I am currently in year 11 and I am picking A-Levels to study in the sixth form but I don't know what to pick because I don't really know what topics go for Architecture in order to study in University. I know that Maths is one.

THANK YOU
Quyen_3
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I'm applying to uni this yr. I'm taking maths, fine art and product design. Physics is also another popular subject that many people go for.
-A humanities such as history or geography.
Architecture is such a diverse course so don't get too bogged down on which subject to do.

Good luck)
AestheticEnergy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Emir_0808)
Hi everyone. I am currently in year 11 and I am picking A-Levels to study in the sixth form but I don't know what to pick because I don't really know what topics go for Architecture in order to study in University. I know that Maths is one.

THANK YOU
Hi! I'm in Year 11 too and i also really want to do Architecture some day as well. From all the research I've done, Universities prefer Maths, Physics and an Arts A-Level. It depends on which Uni you want to go to but that's usually the general stuff!
Emir_0808
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quyen_3)
Hey, I'm applying to uni this yr. I'm taking maths, fine art and product design. Physics is also another popular subject that many people go for.
-A humanities such as history or geography.
Architecture is such a diverse course so don't get too bogged down on which subject to do.

Good luck)
What is the difference between fine art and art & design because I was going to pick art & design
Emir_0808
Rep:
?
(Original post by AestheticEnergy)
Hi! I'm in Year 11 too and i also really want to do Architecture some day as well. From all the research I've done, Universities prefer Maths, Physics and an Arts A-Level. It depends on which Uni you want to go to but that's usually the general stuff!
Thank you, I was planning on picking those subjects but I just wanted to make sure if I'm picking the right ones
Quyen_3
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What is the difference between fine art and art & design because I was going to pick art & design
I'm not too sure, it might be something your college does... usually art and design is a group of different A level course. For example under the category art and design there is fine art, textiles, graphics...
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

THANK YOU
(Original post by AestheticEnergy)
I’m not sure where you have been researching but there’s very few architecture courses that have any preference for maths (or physics). Maybe 3 or 4 at most. And all of those are more worried about a lack of a creative subject.

The rumours about architecture requiring maths or physics are just that - rumours. It’s much more important to pick at least one creative subject (to help with your portfolio) and other subjects that you are likely to get good grades in.

You would have many more options with AAA in English, History and Art than with ABB in Art, Maths and Physics.
Last edited by PQ; 1 year ago
Ravensbourne
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

THANK YOU

Hi Emir_0808,

Hope you are having a good day! Depending on what type of Architecture course you want to do and where, you will get different entry requirnemnts. If you are leaning more toawrds a BA Architecture course they would want to see a portfolio of work to make sure you can draw and have the creative skillset to design buildings. Most Architecture courses don't actually require you to take physics but that is a good plus to have while applying although not neccessary. I recommend looking aorund at different universitys and students work to see what type of things they are looking for as well as to find out if you are more suited for a more technical course or a more design focused. Even if you choose a design focused course you will still be deveolping your analytical skills and still have technical units.

While looking at the differences in courses I would recommend looking at the structure e.g. is it predominatley lecture based or is it more independet studio work, what are their industry connections, what their allumus are doing now. This will help you figure out what course you would enjoy the most and give you a better understanding of what is most suited to you. Every university will have a different experience but making sure you pick the one you feel most comfortable at, in terms of the location, atmosphere of the university and the course itself is the most important thing.

It's really imporant to go to the open days that universities offer to get a real sense of the atmosphere as well as a chance to speak to the course tutors and students. You will be able to ask them questions, get a better understanding, and look around at their facilities.

Ravensbourne is situated by the 02 area and we have a uniquely designed building which is definitely something to look at to see your potential work space. Furthermore, have a look at portfolio requirements for this course as well and if your struggling with this you can always come along to a workshop on portfolios or if you come to our open day there will be a talk on portfolios on the day.

I hope this helps and I wish you all the luck on your search for the right university! If you have more questions please feel free to ask,

Row
Vili Welroos
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I would recommend visiting an architecture school and have some-one describe to you the general requirements of the course. From experience, having studied at one for 7 years, I can say that they are all very happy to explain what is necessary in order to study architecture.

From working in an international architecture studio of 1500 staff, I can tell you that there really is not only 1 path to this profession. Whether you did arts, maths, sciences, physics, chemistry, biology, history, anthropology, design, product design, psychology, sports, or (insert any subject) it will most certainly be relevant in the field of architecture in some way. So I would not be worried too much about the specific A-levels. I would focus on tailoring your personal understanding of the built-environment in a portfolio you can talk about eloquently in front of people. “What does architecture mean to you, represented in all the following formats: writing, figures, charts, pictures, drawings, collages, renders, diagrams, photographs, analyses and infographics?”

However, if I had to choose 3 (which is the downfall of the UK education system for architecture) I would pick Art, Physics and Maths. (So what about history, geography, biology, chemistry, sociology, economics, etc? These are all absolutely necessary to practice as an architect, so don’t just forget them after the golden trio of Art/Physics/Maths! Perhaps instead of A-levels you should be choosing attitudes: ‘Artistic’, ‘Scientific’, ‘Pragmatic’

I hope this helps. Good luck! The learning never stops!
Vili Welroos
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

THANK YOU
Choose courses that best fall under the categories:
‘Artistic’, ‘Scientific’, ‘Pragmatic’

For example:
‘Art’, ‘Physics’, ‘Maths’ (if all architects did this course it would make the world boring, but it is in my opinion the most solid introduction to Year 1)
Or
‘Product Design’, ‘Chemistry’, ‘Economics’ (because Product design is Art, and Chemistry is science and Economics is effectively social mathematics)

A thing to remember is that you are starting school again effectively - and they will teach you everything you need to know from scratch. Being open to learning new ways of doing things and a completely new history, theory of the world is important.

Good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (276)
15.5%
Uncertainty around my education (279)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (177)
9.94%
Isolating with family (126)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.44%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (149)
8.37%
Loneliness (176)
9.88%
Financial worries (72)
4.04%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (163)
9.15%
Exposure to negative news/social media (126)
7.07%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (158)
8.87%

Watched Threads