GunmasterG9
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Heyy. Has anybody bought the new Macbook Air? Is it worth it? And is it evidently thinner?
Acsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Can't speak from experience as I don't own one, but I can answer objectively.

Size wise it is marginally thinner. The old air is listed as 1.7 cm thick, while the new one is 1.56 cm. You're basically knocking off a millimetre. Personally I wouldn't call that evidently thinner and it's already at the point where you give up structural integrity to get that thinness.

In terms of is it worth it, that depends on whether you want MacOS. I was quite interested to see what Apple would do with the MacBook Air refresh but they've messed up. For whatever strange reason, Apple have lagged behind again and are still offering the Air with dual core processors. Many of us expected Apple to finally move to modern quad core chips but they did not. As a result, it's almost impossible to recommend the Air over any Windows based alternative unless you desperately need MacOS. Even then, the MacBook Air is not drastically different from the 13 inch MacBook Pro.

"Is it worth it" is totally subjective but in terms of value for money, I'd say no. You can get better hardware in cheaper devices and if you want an ultrabook, there are better Windows alternatives. I do not consider MacOS to be a bit enough benefit to justify the drop in hardware at this price.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by GunmasterG9)
Heyy. Has anybody bought the new Macbook Air? Is it worth it? And is it evidently thinner?
The new Air is actually slightly thicker than the MacBook Pro at its thickest point (and then tapers down to be thinner) and is less than 120g lighter. Between that, the inferior screen and the severely underpowered hardware you're getting (even by Apple's already poor price to performance levels), it's very difficult to recommend the Air over the baseline MacBook Pro which costs only £50 more, or a noticeably more powerful Windows machine than both for around the same size/weight and price.
Last edited by Gofre; 10 months ago
Professor Oak
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by GunmasterG9)
I have the new style 12 inch Macbook and went to try the Air the other day. It's a LOT bigger and thicker than the Macbook. As Gofre was saying, it's not that much lighter or thinner than the Pro.

Personally I love the Macbook - I've edited video, basic animations, big excel docs etc and it's always handled it well. It's not a super powerful laptop but it is extremely light and thin. Go for that for portability, or the Pro for power (assuming you only want a Mac).
Last edited by Professor Oak; 10 months ago
GunmasterG9
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by Professor Oak)
I have the new style Macbook and went to try the Air the other day. It's a LOT bigger and thicker than the Macbook. As Gofre was saying, it's not that much lighter or thinner than the Pro.

Personally I love the Macbook - I've edited video, basic animations, big excel docs etc and it's always handled it well. It's not a super powerful laptop but it is extremely light and thin. Go for that for portability, or the Pro for power (assuming you only want a Mac).
Hail hail. I know I have no prudential reason to back up a Mac, BUT I LOVE IT!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (136)
17.82%
It's just nice to be back! (204)
26.74%
Not great so far... (274)
35.91%
I want to drop out! (149)
19.53%

Watched Threads