Should we stop listening to these Christmas songs? Watch

Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by JoshDarnIt)
Snowflakes everywhere. Literally and figuratively.
is there snow in ur town? lol
JoshDarnIt
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
is there snow in ur town? lol
I wish :cry2:
Kindred
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Honestly in a lot of these cases I think it's over the top to completely stop using the songs. They are from our history and yeah it wasn't all that great in some respects, but those songs are still part of our culture.

They should be sensored where appropriate and in some cases perhaps not played around certain audiences (ie not a kids party's) but I like to think we are capable of both celebrating our past and learning from and bettering our future at the same time.

Plus honestly so much music is so full of sexual innuendo, inappropriate implications (drugs, alcohol etc), some derogatory view or another and general conflict that if we were going to follow the standards these Christmas songs apparently don't live up to we'd be having a very silent life let alone night.

There are some reasonable points made about things that aren't terribly appropriate in those songs, but I think there are more ways around it that just screaming I don't like that and throwing it in a bin. And as is mentioned in the OP in a lot of cases there are multiple inturpretations and sometimes people do just read things the wrong way.

If I have to live with hearing that "bang bang all over you" song every set of adverts this holiday season I figure other people can live with these ones.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by todorokishouto)
I did not know that about jingle bells, though, yikes. That's awful.
welp America was rooted in racism as it was legal until not even 50 years ago. So a lot of its classics are racist and popular actors/singers did racist work like minstrel quite openly and casually. It's quite grim actually.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I wish :cry2:
why would u wish for such demonic weather lol
JoshDarnIt
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
why would u wish for such demonic weather lol
I love the snow!
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
We should stop listening to all Xmas songs. It is thus decreed.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I love the snow!
i love it until it freezes everything. I had to pour salt water on my windows and bang them with a hammer to open them.
JoshDarnIt
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i love it until it freezes everything. I had to pour salt water on my windows and bang them with a hammer to open them.
Now that's just bang outta order

I'll see myself out. :getmecoat:
sknudson
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How is the Hell is Jingle Bells offensive? People feeling left out because they can't ride in a one-horse open sleigh? Definitely triggered over that.
YaliaV
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Most Christmas songs should be banned because they’re crap and irritating.
StriderHort
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Die Hard theme is good though, as long as you've just watched it.
LostAccount
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sometimes I'm glad to be from Poland, because I have a place to escape to once this side of the continent/"Western world" becomes unliveable due to PC culture.
Tootles
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sknudson)
How is the Hell is Jingle Bells offensive? People feeling left out because they can't ride in a one-horse open sleigh? Definitely triggered over that.
Jungle bells, Batman smells, Robin flew away / Uncle Billy lost his willy on the motorway :flute:
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by YaliaV)
Most Christmas songs should be banned because they’re crap and irritating.
Merry christmas!

enjoy!
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ridiculous. Especially the Bang Aid one. It's a song written to raise money for charity - I highly doubt those who benefited from the £8 million it raised are bothered that they use the word "Africa" rather than a more specific area.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 1 week ago
Starfish58
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Spirithorse)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46425160

American radio station is no longer playing famous Christmas song 'Baby It's Cold Outside' because it's seen as unsuitable in the #MeToo era has reignited a debate about the song, and raised questions about other potentially questionable Christmas classics.

Critics of the song see it as the story of a man pressuring a woman into spending the night when she doesn't want to. In particular, the line "Say what's in this drink?/No cabs to be had out there" has led people to make a link with date rape.

However, a former English teacher wrote a feminist defence of the song in a viral Tumblr post, suggesting the woman "is excusing her uncharacteristically bold behaviour (either to the guy or to herself) by blaming it on the drink". "It is not a joke about how she's drunk and about to be raped," the blog's author wrote. "It's a joke about how she's perfectly sober and about to have awesome consensual sex and use the drink for plausible deniability because she's living in a society where women aren't supposed to have sexual agency."

What do you think?

Other songs that have caused a stir are:
Fairytale of New York - The Pogues
Do They Know It's Christmas? - Band Aid
Jingle Bells - James Pierpont

Read the article link about to find out why...
A song that has always given me shivers [though not a Christmas one] is the Police's 'I'll be watching you'. I've heard remakes in which it sounds like a really romantic song but the lyric is actually about someone stalking an ex - very sinister indeed
DetectivePeralta
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by muthalganesan18)
Surely you could ban Christmas songs altogether because they aren't inclusive of minorities who only take part in the festive season due to peer pressure?
That’s a crazy idea lol, the vast majority of British people celebrate Christmas and enjoy Christmas songs, even irreligious people. If minorities don’t want to celebrate Christmas then there’s nothing stopping them but we shouldn’t have to change the way we do things to accommodate them. It is their duty to tolerate our culture and traditions, and that doesn’t mean they have to take part but it does mean they have to accept that this is what we do.
ninah2002
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So frickin' ridiculous, the world has gone mad!
Joleee
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
no one even know the words to Baby it's Cold Outside. lol literally - besides 'it's cold outside' does anyone know what the heck they're on about?

but i honestly can't stand that song so it's fine by me if we want to ban it, especially the Jessica Simpson version.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.68%
No (520)
72.32%

Watched Threads