The Student Room Group

Should we stop listening to these Christmas songs?

Scroll to see replies

I find the DJ's name, Glenn Anderson, sexist.

AnderSON? Why not AnderCHILD?? Or AnderOFFSPRING???

It's 2018 and are we still using non-gender-neutral language, Mx DJ?
Ban it? I live for this vine...

Original post by Spirithorse
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46425160

American radio station is no longer playing famous Christmas song 'Baby It's Cold Outside' because it's seen as unsuitable in the #MeToo era has reignited a debate about the song, and raised questions about other potentially questionable Christmas classics.

Critics of the song see it as the story of a man pressuring a woman into spending the night when she doesn't want to. In particular, the line "Say what's in this drink?/No cabs to be had out there" has led people to make a link with date rape.

However, a former English teacher wrote a feminist defence of the song in a viral Tumblr post, suggesting the woman "is excusing her uncharacteristically bold behaviour (either to the guy or to herself) by blaming it on the drink". "It is not a joke about how she's drunk and about to be raped," the blog's author wrote. "It's a joke about how she's perfectly sober and about to have awesome consensual sex and use the drink for plausible deniability because she's living in a society where women aren't supposed to have sexual agency."

What do you think?

Other songs that have caused a stir are:
Fairytale of New York - The Pogues
Do They Know It's Christmas? - Band Aid
Jingle Bells - James Pierpont

Read the article link about to find out why...

These people are absolutely stupid. There is nothing wrong with these songs. This is polictical correctness gone mad. Some people these days really do need to get a life.
I never did play them. I have always found them to be a bit like dog shite on a stick.
the controversial song Twinkle Twinkle Little Star should no longer be broadcast

:mob:
Reply 46
They are christmas songs, you shouldn't ban them. They have been played for years with no problems
Honestly I think people are just offended by everything these days, it's just a song and isn't causing any harm to anyone.
I personally don't like many Christmas songs so I just don't listen to them, there's nothing to stop an individual turning them off.
But I don't think that people need to ruin them for other people by banning them, it's unnecessary and quite petty.
Original post by todorokishouto
I did not know that about jingle bells, though, yikes. That's awful.

from wiki:

Although less well-known than the opening, the remaining verses depict high-speed youthful fun. In the second verse, the narrator takes a ride with a girl and loses control of the sleigh:

A day or two ago
I thought I'd take a ride
And soon, Miss Fanny Bright
Was seated by my side,
The horse was lean and lank
Misfortune seemed his lot
He got into a drifted bank
And then we got upsot.[a]
|: chorus :|

In the next verse (which is often skipped), he falls out of the sleigh and a rival laughs at him:

A day or two ago,
The story I must tell
I went out on the snow,
And on my back I fell;
A gent was riding by
In a one-horse open sleigh,
He laughed as there I sprawling lie,
But quickly drove away.
|: chorus :|

In the last verse, after relating his experience, he gives advice to a friend to pick up some girls, find a faster horse, and take off at full speed:

Now the ground is white
Go it while you're young,
Take the girls tonight
and sing this sleighing song;
Just get a bobtailed bay
Two forty as his speed[b]
Hitch him to an open sleigh
And crack! you'll take the lead.
Hate the song, but hate government regulation more.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
What sort of rapist bothers doing date rape drugs when he's already got the probably overpowerable woman in his house on her own?

It's actually pretty easy to see why they would use date rape drugs, so that the victim wouldn't be able to struggle or scream.
please read the article
Original post by muledeer78
It's actually pretty easy to see why they would use date rape drugs, so that the victim wouldn't be able to struggle or scream.

In an area where there's "no cabs out here"? wouldn't matter
I put the old lyrics in my post further up. Tbh who wants to sing about a woman named fanny, laughing at someone flung from a sleigh, and going super fast as part of seducing young women?
Original post by Retired_Messiah
In an area where there's "no cabs out here"? wouldn't matter

neighbors or people passing by could still hear and intervene/call the police. Also the woman could escape or injure the rapist, women aren't completely helpless.

American radio station is no longer playing famous Christmas song 'Baby It's Cold Outside' because it's seen as unsuitable in the #MeToo era has reignited a debate about the song, and raised questions about other potentially questionable Christmas classics.

Critics of the song see it as the story of a man pressuring a woman into spending the night when she doesn't want to. In particular, the line "Say what's in this drink?/No cabs to be had out there" has led people to make a link with date rape.

However, a former English teacher wrote a feminist defence of the song in a viral Tumblr post, suggesting the woman "is excusing her uncharacteristically bold behaviour (either to the guy or to herself) by blaming it on the drink". "It is not a joke about how she's drunk and about to be raped," the blog's author wrote. "It's a joke about how she's perfectly sober and about to have awesome consensual sex and use the drink for plausible deniability because she's living in a society where women aren't supposed to have sexual agency."

What do you think?

Other songs that have caused a stir are:
Fairytale of New York - The Pogues
Do They Know It's Christmas? - Band Aid
Jingle Bells - James Pierpont

Read the article link about to find out why...

personally I say ban the paul mccartney one and Mariah Carey's one. Everytime I work in a supermarket (since October) they keep playing them.
Original post by quasa
personally I say ban the paul mccartney one and Mariah Carey's one. Everytime I work in a supermarket (since October) they keep playing them.

sounds painful

What do you think?

I think it's proof positive that people have completely lost the true meaning of Christmas! :-( :-(

But, hey, ho, that's life. People are judged by what they own, not what their character is. By the size of their house/car, not by their compassion or charity.

Death can hardly come too soon in such a dystopian world.

Quick Reply