University vs Apprenticeship Watch

Reekay
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Currently I am planning on taking a gap year before I decide to enter higher education. The only issue is that I am not sure what route is suitable for me. I am interested in Computer Science (Software Engineering) but I don't find myself to be a very academic person so university may be difficult but worth the experience. On the other hand, I feel as if an apprenticeship will allow me to gain work experience straight away and hopefully be taken on by the company that I work for. Any help?
Helloworld_95
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That sounds like you want to go down the apprenticeship route. Worst case scenario you can return to uni later.
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Reekay)
Currently I am planning on taking a gap year before I decide to enter higher education. The only issue is that I am not sure what route is suitable for me. I am interested in Computer Science (Software Engineering) but I don't find myself to be a very academic person so university may be difficult but worth the experience. On the other hand, I feel as if an apprenticeship will allow me to gain work experience straight away and hopefully be taken on by the company that I work for. Any help?
An apprenticeship is an excellent choice if you're only interested in the software engineering side of CS, especially if you're not very academic.

Academic CS can be horrid if you don't like it as it's intensely maths heavy at certain universities.
Reekay
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
University of Westminster
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Reekay)
Hi there

I often get asked this question by students unsure of which is the best route for them. Of course there are massive pros and cons for both choices and so you should definitely read up about both options so you make the right decision.

Here is a link to the All About School Leavers website which gives a good snapshot of both Apprenticeships and University.

Good luck with your choice.

Kim
University of Westminster
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (17)
94.44%
No (1)
5.56%

Watched Threads