Sir David Attenborough: Climate change 'our greatest threat'

Watch
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
"The naturalist Sir David Attenborough has said climate change is humanity's greatest threat in thousands of years.

The broadcaster said it could lead to the collapse of civilisations and the extinction of "much of the natural world".

He was speaking at the opening ceremony of United Nations-sponsored climate talks in Katowice, Poland.

The meeting is the most critical on climate change since the 2015 Paris agreement.

Sir David said: "Right now, we are facing a man-made disaster of global scale. Our greatest threat in thousands of years. Climate change. If we don't take action, the collapse of our civilisations and the extinction of much of the natural world is on the horizon.""

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46398057

Have your say - are we as individuals doing enough to reduce our impact? Are large businesses and corporations doing enough to reduce theirs?
Johnny English
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
We are already past the point of no return . Over population and over usage of the worlds natural resources has put pay to restoring the climates fine balance .
When you see how many people there are in places like India and how many are emigrating across the world then there is little hope that we can sustain this level of population growth. It's killing us all .
username4301878
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
- Stop all immigration
- Cut all foreign aid
- Ban cities
- Ban plastic
- Let epidemics run rampant

Problem solved
Underscore__
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Maybe I’m a selfish human but I would say there have been lots of greater threats than climate change over the last couple of thousands years
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Underscore__)
Maybe I’m a selfish human but I would say there have been lots of greater threats than climate change over the last couple of thousands years
Threats to humanity in its entirety?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Captain Haddock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That's not selfish, it's just wrong.
Johnny English
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Misguided rather than selfish perhaps ........although the prospect of nuclear war or being hit by a comet is very real . Either way ...if one thing doesn't get you , then something else will . It's just a matter of time . We're doomed ...we're doomed . Theres no point doomsday prepping ....it's still going to get you. ..you might forget to stock toilet rolls or ketchup and then you're really screwed .😨😱😱
Underscore__
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)
Threats to humanity in its entirety?

Posted from TSR Mobile
1. I don’t really think of climate change as a threat to humanity as a whole. Wealthy people/countries will adapt to what is thrown at them, the ones who really suffer will be poor countries and poorer classes in developing nations.
2. I’d say things like Spanish Flu, the Black Death were a bigger threat. I’d also probably add the Second World War too.
Underscore__
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Captain Haddock)
That's not selfish, it's just wrong.
Well the Black Death killed 60% of Europe, I doubt climate change will.
Underscore__
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Johnny English)
Misguided rather than selfish perhaps ........although the prospect of nuclear war or being hit by a comet is very real . Either way ...if one thing doesn't get you , then something else will . It's just a matter of time . We're doomed ...we're doomed . Theres no point doomsday prepping ....it's still going to get you. ..you might forget to stock toilet rolls or ketchup and then you're really screwed .😨😱😱
As I said to two others, Spanish Flu, the Black Death and WW2 were probably all bigger threats. I’m sure there have been other events over the past few thousand years I’m not thinking of/not aware of
Captain Haddock
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well the Black Death killed 60% of Europe, I doubt climate change will.
There's a whole world outside of Europe.
Underscore__
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Who knew
velvetzappa
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The black plague is not a European concept. It's an immortal and insidious creature still running rampant in developing countries.
Last edited by velvetzappa; 2 years ago
Captain Haddock
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by velvetzappa)
The black plague is not a European concept. It's an immortal and insidious creature still running rampant in some developing countries.
'Black Death' or 'Black Plague' specifically refers to the medieval pandemic that primarily affected Europe. The disease itself is just called plague.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.88%
Uncertainty around my education (445)
14.76%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.21%
Lack of purpose or motivation (420)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.64%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (182)
6.04%
Loneliness (259)
8.59%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.08%
Exposure to negative news/social media (137)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (164)
5.44%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.83%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.42%

Watched Threads