Turn on thread page Beta

what point does it become viable to buy a house watch

ReputationRep:
    i've always considered a career in the military and i've recently applied to the army as an officer.

i'm nearly 26 and still live at home currently saving for a house. I want to futureproof myself as much as possible so something that has always interested me is what do military personnel do when it comes to buying a house - at what stage is it viable to buy? If you're having to move around/at risk of being deployed how do you decide where in the country to buy? At what stage of a military career do you get some sort of stability.

I'm single and probably will be for the next couple of years; during the first few years of training i.e at Sandhurst etc how much are expenses typically such as accommodation/mess bills and, if you're particularly frugal, is it easy to save given the subsidised nature of the military.

cheers for any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    i've always considered a career in the military and i've recently applied to the army as an officer.

i'm nearly 26 and still live at home currently saving for a house. I want to futureproof myself as much as possible so something that has always interested me is what do military personnel do when it comes to buying a house - at what stage is it viable to buy? If you're having to move around/at risk of being deployed how do you decide where in the country to buy? At what stage of a military career do you get some sort of stability.

I'm single and probably will be for the next couple of years; during the first few years of training i.e at Sandhurst etc how much are expenses typically such as accommodation/mess bills and, if you're particularly frugal, is it easy to save given the subsidised nature of the military.

cheers for any help
    The only people in that I know to have bought have done so because their posting is secure (ie, pilot with a type of aircraft that's only at one station), or have a partner in strong employment outside the wire.

99% of people I know with families are in station MQs.
    There are a few who rent privately near to the station they're currently at.

ReputationRep:

cheers for any help
    As a single officer you'll live in the Mess. Most if not all junior officers will be single. Whenever you buy, you run the risk of being posted to the opposite end of the country (or further afield) so you can't assume you'll get to live in your house for too long, and that's throughout your whole career. I'd guess 5+ years before you buy would be reasonable. A couple of postings and you'll have an idea if you'll be in for long.

Mess life doesn't really mix well with frugality. Mess bills will depend who you join. That said, you should be able to put something aside each month. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    As a single officer you'll live in the Mess. Most if not all junior officers will be single. Whenever you buy, you run the risk of being posted to the opposite end of the country (or further afield) so you can't assume you'll get to live in your house for too long, and that's throughout your whole career. I'd guess 5+ years before you buy would be reasonable. A couple of postings and you'll have an idea if you'll be in for long.

Mess life doesn't really mix well with frugality. Mess bills will depend who you join. That said, you should be able to put something aside each month. Good luck.
    I'm quite keen to get onto the property ladder.

Is it just too much to buy a property and rent it out with an agency to take care of things in my absence? Or is that just too much to juggle alongside a military career; if something was to happen that required my immediate attention but if i'm deployed/too busy etc?

Why doesn't mess life mix well with frugality?

ReputationRep:

Is it just too much to buy a property and rent it out with an agency to take care of things in my absence? Or is that just too much to juggle alongside a military career; if something was to happen that required my immediate attention but if i'm deployed/too busy etc?

Perfectly fine to buy and rent out. Probably the best option if you can afford it. I'm sure there are probably agencies who would be able to be more 'hands on' if you weren't able to deal with things.

Bottles of champagne and port are expensive. There used to be rumours that certain Messes played 'mess bill roulette' but that's probably just a legend.

ReputationRep:

If you can do that, then yeah, crack on. It's just not normally within reach.

And while Mess living does look cheap, you can find many many ways to spend lots of money.

We used to call them SOUPs - Single Officer Useless Purchase. A Lego deathstar. A DJI drone. An unnecessary sports car. A ridiculous last minute holiday to somewhere very far away.

We also had the Centurion Club. Club for those who managed to get their bar bill for the month over £100.

ReputationRep:
    Suppose it depends on the service and branch. As an ABM, postings were predictable and I knew many JOs who bought in the area or at home. No scientific evidence but anecdotal evidence would suggest the average age of purchase of first house was much lower at the bases I was at compared to rest of the population.

ReputationRep:
    I lived in Officers' Messes as I had a job where I was posted every couple of years, and deployed. Had a car, and holidays abroad, and travelled to see family and friends and concerts and my favourite football team, with a season ticket. As an investment I put down a deposit on a house after 6 years and paid off the 25 year mortgage in 12 years.

I know quite a lot of single RAF officers from a variety of roles who bought as buy to let so they had somewhere to move into, or sell and buy elsewhere, in future; there were some with a portfolio of several properties. Some of them had a bad experience with tenants found through agencies; turns out junior doctors aren't reliable occupants! I was lucky as I rented privately to a friend's daughter and she was brilliant. You've got to consider security and the terms of home insurance if you make arrangements where the property could be standing empty for a while.

A favourite trick is to buy in an area where there is a concentration of RAF bases (eg, Lincolnshire) and initially advertise on camp for service personnel/families as private tenants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surnia)
    I lived in Officers' Messes as I had a job where I was posted every couple of years, and deployed. Had a car, and holidays abroad, and travelled to see family and friends and concerts and my favourite football team, with a season ticket. As an investment I put down a deposit on a house after 6 years and paid off the 25 year mortgage in 12 years.

I know quite a lot of single RAF officers from a variety of roles who bought as buy to let so they had somewhere to move into, or sell and buy elsewhere, in future; there were some with a portfolio of several properties. Some of them had a bad experience with tenants found through agencies; turns out junior doctors aren't reliable occupants! I was lucky as I rented privately to a friend's daughter and she was brilliant. You've got to consider security and the terms of home insurance if you make arrangements where the property could be standing empty for a while.

A favourite trick is to buy in an area where there is a concentration of RAF bases (eg, Lincolnshire) and initially advertise on camp for service personnel/families as private tenants.
    Im saving via LISA so buy to let isnt allowed.

Seems to be a grey area on if youre in the military though

ReputationRep:
    The Forces also has a Help to Buy Scheme.

https://www.ownyourhome.gov.uk/schem...s-help-to-buy/

However, I'm 99% sure that buy-to-let isn't allowed if you use the service. I'd have to check with one of my J1 mates for certain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    The Forces also has a Help to Buy Scheme.

https://www.ownyourhome.gov.uk/schem...s-help-to-buy/

However, I'm 99% sure that buy-to-let isn't allowed if you use the service. I'd have to check with one of my J1 mates for certain.
    You have to live in it to start with and get a residential mortgage but you can convert to a buy-to-let if you are posted.

ReputationRep:
    I got married whilst on basic trg at Halton. My phase 2 trade trg was in Portsmouth and my other half and our daughter moved into SFA with me. That flat was the first of 17 quarters across my 19 years of service. I served for 2 x 2 years at Akrotiri, deployed 6 times, and was posted many times (mostly my choice). We bought as I entered my last 2 years of service as I had saved a large chunk of cash. When my immediate pension came through I paid another large chunk into the mortgage.

For me personally, I wouldn’t have wanted to buy earlier.

ReputationRep:
    This is a bit of a strange question, but just for my curiousity, how would you maintain a relationship if your partner is already deep into a career?

All of my male friends that have joined the military, the girls that they are with have been happy to quit their jobs and move around and find work on an ad hoc basis, but this made it difficult for the partners to have a career and essentially are destined to be housewives.

I appreciate I have a very small sample size, but any thoughts are welcome.

I ask because it just sounds like getting into a relationship before a military career is not the best idea...

ReputationRep:
    Most banks subscribe to the ‘armed forces covenant’ that promises not to disadvantage you should you be required to relocate due to serving your country. An element of this includes being able to rent out your house regardless of equity.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2018
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.