Friend has sleeping problems Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
one of my best friends really struggles with their sleeping pattern. They don't sleep until late (not out of choice) like 4am, and then sleep in til really late in the morning and struggle to get out of bed. It's making them depressed at times and I want to help and support but I'm not sure how. Any suggestions?
gr4103y
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
One of my best friends has a similar problem too... She usually sleeps at 4pm then wakes up around midnight to finish her school work. Sometimes, she's not able to wake up in time for school so she just either skips or be really really late to school. Right now she doesn't really care anymore lol. I think the best way is to really embrace and try to adapt to the sleeping pattern. If it can't be changed, at least don't be too depressed about it and perhaps tell your friend to make the best out of it instead.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I can’t keep a sleeping pattern either and end up having my sleeping start moving through the day and eventually reach into the normal hours of 11pm-2am. But it will eventually move again and I’ll sleep from 4am, 7am and it will continue again.

Your friend will just need to try and adapt to fit it if they can’t sleep at different times.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Her bodies just in the complete wrong sleep schedule-as if she's in a different time zone.

I'd try suggesting to adapt as if she has jet lag. Main meals should be eaten at the 'normal times' and not randomly. Then she needs to force herself to lie in bed at 10pm or so and just lie there-have no distractions, phone away. She probably won't sleep for the first day or so then but its to get her body to adjust. Then have an alarm on for 7/8am, whenever she needs to be up. She needs to force herself up and to get on with the day with no naps- it will be hard but needs to be done. Then repeat, go to bed at 10pm, alarm on and wake up then. After a couple of days she hopefully will have adjusted
+ polarity -
Badges: 21
Report 6 months ago
It might be helpful for your friend to examine their sleep hygiene (very simply, what they do in the evening that might have an effect on the onset of sleep).

Some suggestions, and source
  • Have a comfortable bedroom, dark and quiet. If light is a problem, use heavy curtains over the windows.
  • Reserve the bedroom for sleeping. Do not use it for watching TV.
  • Avoid caffeine within 6 - 8 hours of bedtime.
  • Avoid alcohol: while alcohol may help one to fall asleep initially, it generally causes the restorative quality of sleep to suffer.
  • Avoid computer screens and phone screens shortly before bed.
  • Do not do any serious exercise for three hours before bedtime.
  • Relax for a while before going to sleep.
  • Avoid naps in the evening.
  • Go to bed at the same time every night, and get up at the same time every day, seven days a week, so that your body has a betterchance of adapting to the desired schedule

I use a blue light when I wake up, and filter my screens heavily at night, and use blackout curtains in my bedroom. I think when I eat has an effect on when I feel sleepy too.

During holidays I tried something (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono...phase)#Example
) where I'd go to bed 2 hours later every day until I was going to bed at a 'reasonable' time, and then tried to fix my bedtime where it was. It worked for a while.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (207)
32.65%
The paper was reasonable (310)
48.9%
Not feeling great about that exam... (72)
11.36%
It was TERRIBLE (45)
7.1%

Watched Threads