feel like I have chosen the wrong uni Watch

sohabi19
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am looking for some help with feeling that I've chosen the wrong uni. I am coming to the end of my first term in a 'prestigious' uni (not oxbridge but one considered 'near' the top) and, although liking it when I first visited, I always had my worries about the place. On the other hand, I adored a particular uni - something just felt right about the place, and I could see myself there - honestly, I think I was simply flattered that the uni I am at now wanted to give me an offer, hence putting that uni first and the other uni - which I loved - second. The thing is I have visited my friend, who is at this other uni, a few times, coming home physically upset from there that I was going back to where I was (which is why I believe this isn't homesickness - I'm aware you'd feel this anywhere). Where I am now is so small, with little on offer (hard coming from a big city) and although it's something that loads of people like, I don't like the 'city university' vibe - about 1/3 of the population is students, which to me feels pretty unnatural. On the other hand, this other uni still feels right whenever I go - the confusing thing however is that I didn't even have the grades needed on results day to go to my first choice, making me wonder why they still gave me an offer, and why things panned out how they did.
So, I am wondering whether anyone here has ever successfully transferred uni and how was your experience? The thing is I don't hate where I am now and feel like I could 'stick it out' a year, but not for four years - did you make friends (particularly important) easily enough with being a transfer student? I'm also worried that sticking it out a year here, with the intention to leave, would mean the friends I have made here would be completely disinterested in maintaining anything.
Also, has anyone ever dropped out and re-applied elsewhere, and how was your experience of that?
Thanks in advance for any replied!
999tigger
  • Very Important Poster
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sohabi19)
I am looking for some help with feeling that I've chosen the wrong uni. I am coming to the end of my first term in a 'prestigious' uni (not oxbridge but one considered 'near' the top) and, although liking it when I first visited, I always had my worries about the place. On the other hand, I adored a particular uni - something just felt right about the place, and I could see myself there - honestly, I think I was simply flattered that the uni I am at now wanted to give me an offer, hence putting that uni first and the other uni - which I loved - second. The thing is I have visited my friend, who is at this other uni, a few times, coming home physically upset from there that I was going back to where I was (which is why I believe this isn't homesickness - I'm aware you'd feel this anywhere). Where I am now is so small, with little on offer (hard coming from a big city) and although it's something that loads of people like, I don't like the 'city university' vibe - about 1/3 of the population is students, which to me feels pretty unnatural. On the other hand, this other uni still feels right whenever I go - the confusing thing however is that I didn't even have the grades needed on results day to go to my first choice, making me wonder why they still gave me an offer, and why things panned out how they did.
So, I am wondering whether anyone here has ever successfully transferred uni and how was your experience? The thing is I don't hate where I am now and feel like I could 'stick it out' a year, but not for four years - did you make friends (particularly important) easily enough with being a transfer student? I'm also worried that sticking it out a year here, with the intention to leave, would mean the friends I have made here would be completely disinterested in maintaining anything.
Also, has anyone ever dropped out and re-applied elsewhere, and how was your experience of that?
Thanks in advance for any replied!
Just apply now and go to the open day, be it for a new start or a transfer.

If you get the offer then you can make your mind up later in the year. You will have options. Its your life and you just have to balance out whether its prestige or a more fun uni experience you want.

Nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Last edited by 999tigger; 1 week ago
sohabi19
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thanks so much! The thing is as well this uni is ranked so highly for my course, just that where I am now is a better noticed uni on the whole - when I think back to the two, that really is the only reason I put it first. I’d definitely go as far as saying that this other uni has better x10 facilities for my course (as well as I think more like-minded people, more fun, and just with generally having got such a nice vibe for the place)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads