Enchanced DBS check for NHS, worried re Mental health

Watch
trumpet7765
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I recently applied for a job as a HCA in a general hospital and was over the moon when i got offered the job!! I am also in the process of applying for children's nursing in 2020 and have received 4 offers of interview. I am currently going through the pre employment checks; enhanced DBS check, references, occupational health ect my references are fine. I'm very worried about OH review and DBS check, I have never been in trouble with the police but have been sectioned under a 136 while under 18 this included restraints, handcuffs ect because i really was not well, no direct violence against the public or others. I have had a psychiatric admission again under 18 that included being on a section 2/3. I am doing well engaging with MH teams, only see them once a month or less am complying with medication ect. I disclosed MH problems on the OH form, but not the full extent- didnt lie though and all diagnoses. I am jus worried about what will show up on DBS check as its enhanced (it includes inforation held by local police force) and OH health, although they haven't got permission to access my health records yet.
Anyone been in similar?
trumpet7765
Rep:
?
Hopefull bump...
StormyOcean
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You should be ok, I had a Oc health check for a healthcare job when I have history of severe mental health. They find out your history and then ultimately want to know what state you are at now. If you are safe and "well" then they wont stop you.
LifeOfAPhysio
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Trumpet Hi ! There is no need for you to worry. Your mental health is in no respect different to someone with physical health problems. Simply put, DBS only reveals your forensic history- arrests, prison, violence etc and not any confedential health problems. if a scenario arose where they decline to offer you the job based on your mental health issues then they could be sued for discrimination. As long as you are a caring individual with values of empathy and integrity you will be absolutely fine.
trumpet7765
Rep:
?
yep DBS clear!!!! just got ot worry about OH now...
trumpet7765
Rep:
?
So i am really worring about OH for more reasons than one.
SO as i have explained i have MH problems, im also transgender,
I also have very slight physical issues but i had my hearing tested today- and i need hearing aids. It just seems another eason to add to the occupational health battle
trumpet7765
Rep:
?
Well I went to OH and it was awful, they are in the process of getting my medical records but they don’t think I’ll get the job because I’ve been in hospital. Que anxiety rising.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (131)
14.72%
I'm not sure (40)
4.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (267)
30%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.47%
I'm not a current university student (430)
48.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise