The Student Room Group

Climate change and COWS!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alwinsmathew
Here’s a cause that not many of us know about cows. It’s no joke. Every second, 27 football fields worth of forests are lost. Deforestation is devastating as we are incinerating a perfect carbon sink for our short term gain; it is the cancer that afflicts the lungs of our planet. The foremost reason of this is beef. We destroy land to grow crops for cattle and for pasture; livestock takes up 30% of Earth’s land. The problem is that cows produce a staggering amount of methane, which is a potent gas; each molecule of methane is equivalent to 23 molecules of carbon dioxide. Additionally the waste they produce and fertilisers that are used contain nitrous oxide, which has 300 times the climate changing power of carbon dioxide! In fact, cows produce more greenhouse gases than the whole transportation sector combined and they use 34 trillion gallons of water every year! However, cows are not to blame.

In many countries throughout the world, inequality is still a huge problem. Due to political corruption, where certain people of higher power are driven by greed, a lot of the money given to progress mitigation vanish into thin air. Many of these officials are linked to oil and fast food companies, and through propaganda, the true causes of climate change are hidden. In fact more than half of America’s congress deny climate change even exists, of which many have strong links to the fossil fuel industry. I suppose this is not surprising when you realise Donald Trump believed climate change to be a hoax created by the Chinese. At the end of the day, it is just cheap and dirty politics and it will be the indigenous people of the world and those who live in poverty that will pay for it.

Share Your thoughts... :smile:

screw u i love beef
Reply 62
Original post by Napp
And?

and... i dont want to ruin the climate and the planet for generations to come
Reply 63
Original post by sotor
and... i dont want to ruin the climate and the planet for generations to come

Says the person using a computer, energy and all the other delightful benefits of modern life that destroy the world. You can’t pick and choose old boy if you want a completely neutral or even positive impact on the world then you’ll have to live as a caveman I’m afraid.
Original post by Napp
Says the person using a computer, energy and all the other delightful benefits of modern life that destroy the world. You can’t pick and choose old boy if you want a completely neutral or even positive impact on the world then you’ll have to live as a caveman I’m afraid.

Please stop being so ignorant, and I'm sorry, how exactly are you replying to that post without a form of a computer and energy? And I completely disagree with your statement. Currently we use a vast amount of resources at a non replenishable rate and we produce a ridiculous amount of waste that does nothing but affect nature in a dangerous way. If we have a balanced cycle of extracting resources and restoring those back into the world around us, we can live perfectly with "delightful benefits" in our modern world. Obviously this is unrealistic now, but it's the countries with the most economic stability and power that often release more greenhouse gas emissions, so a change in the direction of these countries can lead by example.

And I'm going to reiterate the words earlier said: animal agriculture is a bigger polluter than the whole transport industry. The fact that the industry of agriculture releases more greenhouse gas emissions than the whole of the transport sector is insane, but the majority of people don't even know that. This is something thing that we all have the power to change, by simply tweaking our lifestyle. The effects of climate change may not be evident to you right now, but it definitely is for millions of people around the world. California experienced the worst series of wildfires in its history and they took the life of 91 people. Typhoon Mangkhut in the Phillipines caused massive flooding and power loss, and atleast 69 people lost their lives. 324 people lost their lives in Kerala, India due to severe flooding. There are so many more examples and if we don't make a difference, the consequences to come are catastrophic.

So, rather than putting forward ridiculous arguments, look at the world around you and understand the severe effects of climate change and what you can do about it. That's all I gotta say "old boy", goodnight.
A nice juicy steak cooked to medium can't be turned down for some cabbage...
Reply 66
Please stop being so ignorant, and I'm sorry, how exactly are you replying to that post without a form of a computer and energy? And I completely disagree with your statement. Currently we use a vast amount of resources at a non replenishable rate and we produce a ridiculous amount of waste that does nothing but affect nature in a dangerous way. If we have a balanced cycle of extracting resources and restoring those back into the world around us, we can live perfectly with "delightful benefits" in our modern world. Obviously this is unrealistic now, but it's the countries with the most economic stability and power that often release more greenhouse gas emissions, so a change in the direction of these countries can lead by example.

And I'm going to reiterate the words earlier said: animal agriculture is a bigger polluter than the whole transport industry. The fact that the industry of agriculture releases more greenhouse gas emissions than the whole of the transport sector is insane, but the majority of people don't even know that. This is something thing that we all have the power to change, by simply tweaking our lifestyle. The effects of climate change may not be evident to you right now, but it definitely is for millions of people around the world. California experienced the worst series of wildfires in its history and they took the life of 91 people. Typhoon Mangkhut in the Phillipines caused massive flooding and power loss, and atleast 69 people lost their lives. 324 people lost their lives in Kerala, India due to severe flooding. There are so many more examples and if we don't make a difference, the consequences to come are catastrophic.

So, rather than putting forward ridiculous arguments, look at the world around you and understand the severe effects of climate change and what you can do about it. That's all I gotta say "old boy", goodnight.

Do you even know what that word means?
Er what?😂 what’s my use of a phone got to do with this?
I literally couldn’t give a **** what you disagree away, the fact remains your ‘argument’ is moronic, at best.
It’s rather cute how upset you seem to get though.
Original post by Napp
Do you even know what that word means?
Er what?😂 what’s my use of a phone got to do with this?
I literally couldn’t give a **** what you disagree away, the fact remains your ‘argument’ is moronic, at best.
It’s rather cute how upset you seem to get though.

The definition of ignorant; "lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated"; "discourteous or rude". So clearly, there isn't a single word that could describe you better.
Your phone is relevant since you called out someone for "using a computer, energy and all the other delightful benefits of modern life that destroy the world". Yet you yourself are using those things and the fact that you are on this chat is evidence of that, thus concluding that you are a hypocrite.
Please, rather than just stating my argument is "moronic", state why you think so.
I've put forward facts about millions of lives being torn apart due to climate change, and if you don't care, then once again, you are ignorant.
I think it's cute that you use the phrase "old boy", and if you do reply to this (I don't insist you do since I'd rather not waste my time) please check your grammar.
Reply 68
The definition of ignorant; "lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated"; "discourteous or rude". So clearly, there isn't a single word that could describe you better.
Your phone is relevant since you called out someone for "using a computer, energy and all the other delightful benefits of modern life that destroy the world". Yet you yourself are using those things and the fact that you are on this chat is evidence of that, thus concluding that you are a hypocrite.
Please, rather than just stating my argument is "moronic", state why you think so.
I've put forward facts about millions of lives being torn apart due to climate change, and if you don't care, then once again, you are ignorant.
I think it's cute that you use the phrase "old boy", and if you do reply to this (I don't insist you do since I'd rather not waste my time) please check your grammar.

The fact the best you can do is a hilariously poor personal attack merely demonstrated what a moron you are kiddo.
It’s already been stated, repeatedly, I’m not repeating myself ad nauseum for the likes of you.
No, you’ve put forward your risible opinion, that’s it.
Umm no?
Original post by Yr_11_MATHS
A nice juicy steak cooked to medium can't be turned down for some cabbage...

I completely agree with you, and I never said I want everyone to turn to veganism; that would be unfair since I'm not a vegan. All I'm saying, is that if you choose to have alternative forms of meat, the production of these generates less greenhouse gases. Or just reducing the amount of meat you consume and turning to a more Mediterranean diet will absolutely be better for your health and our planet. I'm just trying to show that our day to day life does have an impact on the global climate, and therefore, we have the power to do something about it.
Original post by Napp
The fact the best you can do is a hilariously poor personal attack merely demonstrated what a moron you are kiddo.
It’s already been stated, repeatedly, I’m not repeating myself ad nauseum for the likes of you.
No, you’ve put forward your risible opinion, that’s it.
Umm no?

You asked me if I knew the definition of ignorant, I've proved it to you and explained why I used it; there's no personal attack involved in that whatsover. You keep saying my argument or opinion is "risible" or "moronic" but you're not saying why. I'm intrigued to know how me stating the facts is "risible" to you, because that is the only thing you've been repeating ad nauseam. You might want to check your spelling as well as the grammar next time, and please, don't call me "kiddo".
(edited 5 years ago)
I completely agree with you, and I never said I want everyone to turn to veganism; that would be unfair since I'm not a vegan. All I'm saying, is that if you choose to have alternative forms of meat, the production of these generates less greenhouse gases. Or just reducing the amount of meat you consume and turning to a more Mediterranean diet will absolutely be better for your health and our planet. I'm just trying to show that our day to day life does have an impact on the global climate, and therefore, we have the power to do something about it.

Completely agree but turning vegan will have very little impact in terms of reducing greenhouse gases simply because other factors such as vehicles or industry which do contribute to the greenhouse effect...
(Original post by Yr_11_MATHS)Completely agree but turning vegan will have very little impact in terms of reducing greenhouse gases simply because other factors such as vehicles or industry which do contribute to the greenhouse effect...

Please have a look at this video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUnJQWO4YJY&t=1s
Original post by Rock Fan
I will continue eating meat, quite frankly I hate it when people try and force an opinion on you, people should be free tol eat what they decide.

LOL:smile::smile:
Reply 74
You asked me if I knew the definition of ignorant, I've proved it to you and explained why I used it; there's no personal attack involved in that whatsover. You keep saying my argument or opinion is "risible" or "moronic" but you're not saying why. I'm intrigued to know how me stating the facts is "risible" to you, because that is the only thing you've been repeating ad nauseam. You might want to check your spelling as well as the grammar next time, and please, don't call me "kiddo".

Mmm yes demonstrating you know how to use a google search? Very good you must feel dreadfully proud.
Why do I need to point out not only the obvious but what has already been stated before? Surely you’re not that incompetent you can’t even scroll up a page?
Oh ouch😂
Hush now kiddo.
Original post by Napp
Mmm yes demonstrating you know how to use a google search? Very good you must feel dreadfully proud.
Why do I need to point out not only the obvious but what has already been stated before? Surely you’re not that incompetent you can’t even scroll up a page?
Oh ouch😂
Hush now kiddo.

All you've stated is your presumption that a 4x4 will produce more greenhouse gases than agriculture. You haven't backed this up with any facts, whereas I have already replied to your post last week reiterating what the scientific studies show. So once again...agriculture produces more greenhouse gases than the whole of the transport sector. End of story. There's nothing more to be said because that is what scientific research has proven.

And I don't understand where you have got the idea that everyone should turn to veganism. I never said that! My aim at the beginning of all of this was to let people know that what we consume does have a direct impact on the world around us. The average american diet releases double the greenhouse gas emissions that of the diet recommended by doctors, and 5 times more than that of the Meditarranean or the vegetarian diet. So it's all about having a balanced diet that, for the majority of people, would be consuming less meat. Whether veganism is more healthy is irrelevant.

If that's not what you meant, then say! If you have more stats to back up your arguments, then say! What's the point of you repeatedly saying that you've already made your point, when your initial argument was poor and probably mainly guesswork? It's getting boring now and frankly, it's making you look like the incompetent one.

And really? "Hush now kiddo"? You're starting to sound like a creep.
Original post by paul514
It’s the cows fault for being delicious.

lol throwing my rep at you :smile:
Reply 77
All you've stated is your presumption that a 4x4 will produce more greenhouse gases than agriculture. You haven't backed this up with any facts, whereas I have already replied to your post last week reiterating what the scientific studies show. So once again...agriculture produces more greenhouse gases than the whole of the transport sector. End of story. There's nothing more to be said because that is what scientific research has proven.

And I don't understand where you have got the idea that everyone should turn to veganism. I never said that! My aim at the beginning of all of this was to let people know that what we consume does have a direct impact on the world around us. The average american diet releases double the greenhouse gas emissions that of the diet recommended by doctors, and 5 times more than that of the Meditarranean or the vegetarian diet. So it's all about having a balanced diet that, for the majority of people, would be consuming less meat. Whether veganism is more healthy is irrelevant.

If that's not what you meant, then say! If you have more stats to back up your arguments, then say! What's the point of you repeatedly saying that you've already made your point, when your initial argument was poor and probably mainly guesswork? It's getting boring now and frankly, it's making you look like the incompetent one.

And really? "Hush now kiddo"? You're starting to sound like a creep.

Really child, just pipe down okay? You’re starting to sound hysterical. You’ll give yourself a hernia with all this whining over your fetish for perverse vegan food.
Original post by Napp
Really child, just pipe down okay? You’re starting to sound hysterical. You’ll give yourself a hernia with all this whining over your fetish for perverse vegan food.

"Just pipe down"?! Is this you implying that you actually have no facts to back up your statement? Wow, I really thought we were going to have a debate about the topic, but you clearly have no idea what your on about. What was the point of you even posting? Well this has just been a waste of time; you've just made a fool out of yourself and I don't know why I bothered trying to convince you in the first place. Peace.
"Just pipe down"?! Is this you implying that you actually have no facts to back up your statement? Wow, I really thought we were going to have a debate about the topic, but you clearly have no idea what your on about. What was the point of you even posting? Well this has just been a waste of time; you've just made a fool out of yourself and I don't know why I bothered trying to convince you in the first place. Peace.

I largely agree with you, but you are sounding a bit too hysterical. Non-vegans really do not understand the pain and suffering of animals caused by eating meat, and therefore aren't so emotionally invested in the topic, and you showing too much emotion just makes them zone out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending