The Student Room Group

i forgot to add paragraphs in my english literature exam

do i loose marks? or does it not matter as it is only english lit!?

i totally forgot!! im completly and utterly stupid

Scroll to see replies

I'm afraid you cannot get above a C grade without clear paragraphing...
We were told this time and time again when we sat our GCSE English exams.
Reply 2
You didn't paragraph correctly?! Sorry to bring bad news but I think it has quite a big effect.

EDIT: I didn't want to say it, but seeing as above already did. From my knowledge they are correct..
Uh oh...:frown:
Reply 4
*Doh*

yeah you are pretty screwed if you want top marks.
Reply 5
i remember doing that in an exam it was wither english or history, realised right at the end, so i put those lines that signify a paragraph, this...//

i got A for english and A* for history so that cant be right? I did the welsh board.
i got a* in my english lit and i don't even know how to properly paragraph.
Reply 7
Miserable Colours
Or does it not matter as it is only english lit!?

Sorry, I don't mean to get at you at all but what do you mean by that? Doesn't it matter as it's only English lit. Any written exam containing essays requires paragraphs, especially english lit.

Sorry to hear about this. Yes, one of the things that's required for a C or above in English is writiing in paragraphs. Depends on the examiner and what things you may have done wrong.

It'll still probably be OK, it's no good worrying about it now. Just please learn from this and remember to paragraphy properly in your other exams.
Reply 8
Miserable Colours

Shame noob.

Lol- joking.
Dont stress about it- its not the end of the world.:wink: Just learn from your mistakes then you'll be sure next time to add paragraphs.
:biggrin:
Reply 9
ZOIKA
i remember doing that in an exam it was wither english or history, realised right at the end, so i put those lines that signify a paragraph, this...//

i got A for english and A* for history so that cant be right? I did the welsh board.

So you signified paragraphing showing you can paragraph properly. The OP says they forgot to paragraph completely.
ZOIKA

I did that in my mock and my teacher told me it wasn't allowed because it shows I'd forgotten about paragraphs completely.... which is a bit obvious or I wouldn't have put the lines in :s-smilie:

Now whenever I have an english exam the first thing I do is write PARAGRAPHS in huge letters in pencil at the top of my answer sheet, since I always forget.

Yeah, we get told you can't get above a C without them and we do WJEC.
I was told its no higher then a C i had a good grasp with paragraphs it was my analysis thatg let me down :frown:
Reply 12
Grammar and punctuation only receive cursory marks in the exams, so you should be okay.
It matters more with English Lang. since it's assessing your ideas and how you write. With English Lit, the focus tends to be more on analysis of poems, short stories...etc so you'll probably get away with it if you have really good content. Just count your blessings you didn't write the wrong tier reference like I did. I was worrying till results day about it since the chief examiner sent them off before I could ask about it. I was worrying over nothing. You're probably doing the same too. Just concentrate on your next exams. Don't let it bring you down or your revision. Trust me on that.
Reply 14
Hylean
Grammar and punctuation only receive cursory marks in the exams, so you should be okay.

Paragraphing isn't part of the SPG mark as it's not spelling, punctuation or grammar.

Paragraphing is important to the structure of writing and is quite important.
Miserable Colours

Ignore what everyone else says, it shouldn't make too much of a difference. For each grade there is specific criteria and although basic criteria for the lower grades is important, if you say meet, most of the other criteria for a grade, whether it be an A or a B you can still get that grade, you don't have to meet all the criteria.

So basically if your essays are good otherwise then you can still get a good grade.

But, realistically, some examiners may be less lenient and could mark you harsher.

Good luck.
Reply 16
KnightRider
Ignore what everyone else says, it shouldn't make too much of a difference. For each grade there is specific criteria and although basic criteria for the lower grades is important, if you say meet, most of the other criteria for a grade, whether it be an A or a B you can still get that grade, you don't have to meet all the criteria.

So basically if your essays are good otherwise then you can still get a good grade.

But, realistically, some examiners may be less lenient and could mark you harsher.

Good luck.

Not neccessarily I know many cases when people have forgotten to do that and they lost about 2 grades from what they should of.

All I say is its a shame and the mistake was made just wait for your results and if needed retake next year.
Good luck.
How can you forget to paragraph? I wouldn't be able to look at one huge block of text logically...
Miserable Colours

Don't worry just remeber to put paragraphs in all your other exams.
Reply 19
I don't know what weighting is given to paragraphs themselves, but i would imagine that it may hold you back from achieving the very high marks ie A*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending