h4mza
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all recently gave an interview at Home Bargains but was then told sorry bla bla bla. So didn't get the job unfortunately and they did not provide feedback. I thought I had done well bit I hadn't.

I then realised I could've answered some of the questions differently and need some advice on how would you answer them.

They were just general questions such as why Home Bargains, tell me a time where you led a team, tell me a time where you displayed honesty etc.

For first question, I answered I visit Home Bargains alot as it is local to my store, the staff are friendly, helpful and always busy and this is something I see myself doing as I'm that sort of person.

Now I'm thinking I could've just said I worked in retail before and have experience in customer service and good knowledge of how things work and can transfer my skills here etc.

Another question was, tell me a time where you displayed honesty? I answered by when serving a customer on checkouts, I called a member of staff to price check as customer said it is discounted. This was to avoid overcharging customer.

Now I'm thinking I could've simply answered by just saying I'm always an honest worker as honesty is part of me and my duty.

Another question was, tell me a time where you led a team?
I was literally stuck on how to answer this as I never led a team, we always followed managers instructions in previous job. I answered by as I'm very knowledgeable with DIY products such as electric tools, I'm always called to help the customer as I give the best advice than everyone else and soon moved to DIY department from checkouts.

Any help is appreciated.
Greeno44
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello,

Interviews are always a scary experience no matter where it's for! From the answers you have given in the interview seem quite basic, Interviewers aren't really bothered if you've sat on a checkout before.They want to know about you and your life.

You say you've never led a team? It doesn't have to be work related, have you been in a sports team? Taken part in a school production and organised selling tickets? There's so much (obviously I don't know how old you are and your experiences)

Why that store or why that company? Because it's nearby isn't a great answer! They want to see a little bit of research on your side. What does the company offer you? is there extra training courses you can do? What can you do for the company?

A lot of businesses are fully aware that you probably aren't going to be there for life, It's not a career but they want to know what you can do for them. If they're going to offer you a position they don't want to be wasting their time. 'Play the game' tell them what they want to hear, I'm not saying lie to them and tell them that you aim to be CEO by the end of the year, but show them that you're willing to learn. Work-life balance is massive. If you can tell them what you do out of work too it makes you seem more human!

Hope this helps a little bit and i haven't rambled on too much!
Abicke
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
one of the most important things to do for an interview is prep. Most places will ask similar questions (they will always ask you about teamwork, leadership, and a time you went beyond what was expected from customer service).

Saying that you were the best at giving advice probably sounded arrogant and doesn't show leadership, You can rephrase this by saying 'I make sure that my DIY knowledge is up to date so I can help and guide my colleagues when they are struggling, I even taught many of them about the products I knew about as I believe part of being a leader is about helping your fellow team members do their best''.

Also, saying that you always go into a certain shop doesn't actually mean anything (I heard this so many times when I worked at GAME). If they ask you what drew you to apply, tell them that you have always had great experiences and you have always enjoyed working in customer service.

Always research the company as they will normally ask you what you know about them, even find previous campaigns (such as the #LidlSurprises campaign) - it shows you've gone the extra mile and haven't just blindly applied for jobs on indeed.

And be confident but not arrogant.
Abicke
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Also (sorry about long reply!) make a word document with common questions and write answers to them, then you will always have a base for any interview.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Dont beat yourself up, for me your answer weren't too bad. They were a little off the nub of the question and your revised answers are better. For the leadership one you can draw on examples from school, hobbies and personal life too. I think for retail jobs questions on why us?, honesty, giving good service and leadership will be very common so prepare several good examples in advance and deploy the best one. Enthusiasm for the role is very important too though.
h4mza
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Cheers everyone, will make a word document to prepare myself better next time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (136)
28.51%
No - I have already returned home (65)
13.63%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.5%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.43%
No - I live at home during term anyway (138)
28.93%

Watched Threads