Vonnie8
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My son has not been selected for interview at RVC, he has no idea why. Strong pers statement, over and above work experience, plus 2 week course at RVC. He just can't understand why - any suggestions.
Last edited by Vonnie8; 1 year ago
ewecrazy?
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maybe his answers to the 3 questions we had to fill in weren't what they were looking for? Did he meet GCSE and A-level/equivalent requirements?
stimtothesky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Email to ask for feedback? You may not get any at this point but they will let you know when/if they’ll be giving out feedback
2019university
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The exact same thing just happened to me, I’m so sad and disappointed
Vonnie8
Rep:
?
(Original post by ewecrazy?)
Maybe his answers to the 3 questions we had to fill in weren't what they were looking for? Did he meet GCSE and A-level/equivalent requirements?
Hi

Yes he did get the GCSE requirements.

He completed the work experience form, I will ask him about the 3 questions he has not mentioned them just hoping he did not miss something.

Thank you for your kind reply.
Vonnie8
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2019university)
The exact same thing just happened to me, I’m so sad and disappointed
Thank you, so is he - so disappointing! just very competitive I suppose. He could not have done more, he applied for a deferred which they encourage.

Good luck.
heidi2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yup same here. Daughter had knock’em dead PS, quality and quantity of experience, great references and A*AA predicted grades chemistry, biology and maths. 7A’s GCSE, 3B’s and a 9 grade in biology plus A* EPQ. She really thoroughly went through the three answers and still got turned down. Email says don’t ask for feedback. But we’d like to know where we went wrong- whole family is stunned!!
Last edited by heidi2000; 1 year ago
heidi2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yup same her. Daughter had knock’em dead PS, quality and quantity of experience, great references and A*AA predicted grades chemistry, biology and maths. 7A’s GCSE, 3B’s and a 9 grade in biology plus A* EPQ. She really thoroughly went through the three answers and still got turned down. Email says don’t ask for feedback. But we’d like to know where we went wrong- whole family is stunned!!
PinkTabbyKitten
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Vonnie8)
My son has not been selected for interview at RVC, he has no idea why. Strong pers statement, over and above work experience, plus 2 week course at RVC. He just can't understand why - any suggestions.
(Original post by heidi2000)
Yup same here. Daughter had knock’em dead PS, quality and quantity of experience, great references and A*AA predicted grades chemistry, biology and maths. 7A’s GCSE, 3B’s and a 9 grade in biology plus A* EPQ. She really thoroughly went through the three answers and still got turned down. Email says don’t ask for feedback. But we’d like to know where we went wrong- whole family is stunned!!
Hi. Sorry to hear neither of your children were offered interview at the RVC - hopefully they've had luck elsewhere? Veterinary medicine is very tough to get into, it's highly oversubscribed with many excellent candidates. Lots of people don't get in on their first applications - it may seem like they did everything right, but sometimes that extra year can make all the difference.

Can I ask why you both say they had excellent personal statements? Was this what the school said? Many vet schools within the UK don't actually read the personal statement, instead sending out supplementary forms for work experience or with specific questions on. Once the academic criteria have been met the scoring of these forms the basis of who gets called to interview.

All I can suggest is hold out for their other options - and if it comes to reapplying next year, use that extra year to really understand the industry in depth and gain all the experience possible within the time frame. Speak to veterinary professionals, students and maybe even those who got interviews to see what they can suggest to strengthen applications. - I interviewed for RVC this year (the graduate accelerated 4yr programme) and although I've been involved in the industry for a long time, I know my answers to the supplementary questions are very different than what I would have written at 18/19. My perspective has changed and there are things Ive learnt about the industry over time.

It's a tough field but if its what they want they won't give up! Feel free to DM me if you have any other questions you'd like to ask. Also if your children aren't on here - may I suggest they join so they can see for themselves the experience etc other candidates have and have the chance to chat to them first hand.
username2703735
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If work experience was up to scratch then it falls down to attained GCSE's, predicted A level grades, personal statement (is it definitely what they are looking for) and sometimes bad luck.

GCSE's they expect atleast 5A's in maths, english and the 3 sciences
A levels - most want biology, chemistry and a third subject (excluding critical thinking and the other nonsense one I can't remember the name of) at AAB but preferably AAA
Personal statement - reflecting insight into practice - both what qualities make a good vet but also how the applicant meets them
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (12)
7.02%
They've been reasonable (70)
40.94%
Not feeling great... (44)
25.73%
They are TERRIBLE! (45)