Most efficient way to become better at any Language? Watch

AngelStarfire
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm learning German in school but I would like to become better at the language since I really want to be bilingual.

People said I should watch German films etc

What is the most efficient thing I can do to improve in my German skills or any language please?
ZombieTheWolf
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Live there... no honestly, you asked for the most effective thing.

Yes, films and books. Do it all. If you can't live there, immerse yourself in their culture like a fellow german living abroad. Read news articles and watch them online, once you feel confident try speaking to german people online in german only.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by ZombieTheWolf; 1 week ago
Jeffhudson92
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’ve always found it easy when going abroad. You only need to learn three sentences
1. “A pint please”
2. “A 10 bag bro”
3. “Hey girl you hot as shite”
junior.doctor
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As has been said, in all honesty, living there and being surrounded by it is the very best way. I learnt an African dialect from absolute beginner to reasonable fluency (can understand and contribute to conversation between fast native speakers), in 6 months, by being surrounded in it and using it every day, along with one formal lesson per day.

Appreciate that's probably not a realistic option for you - but any chance of spending a few weeks there? You'd need to be surrounded by people who wouldn't speak English to you. I found working with children a great start - children will just crack on and talk to you and not be worried if what you're saying back isn't grammatically correct, so makes you less nervous. I spent several weeks working in a summer holiday kids club. Kids couldn't speak any English, so no temptation on my part to speak English, and they were all happy to chat to me.

Books, films, radio. Watch the news. I read all of Harry Potter in French. Plenty of stuff on YouTube / the internet. Depending on your level, start with some stuff you're more familiar with (a lot of children's books like Roald Dahl have been translated, and reading something where you know the basic plot line already is an encouraging start).
AngelStarfire
Rep:
?
(Original post by ZombieTheWolf)
Live there... no honestly, you asked for the most effective thing.

Yes, films and books. Do it all. If you can't live there, immerse yourself in their culture like a fellow german living abroad. Read news articles and watch them online, once you feel confident try speaking to german people online in german only.
Thank you! Is it possible to improve in 4 months time?
AngelStarfire
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jeffhudson92)
I’ve always found it easy when going abroad. You only need to learn three sentences
1. “A pint please”
2. “A 10 bag bro”
3. “Hey girl you hot as shite”
😂😂
AngelStarfire
Rep:
?
(Original post by junior.doctor)
As has been said, in all honesty, living there and being surrounded by it is the very best way. I learnt an African dialect from absolute beginner to reasonable fluency (can understand and contribute to conversation between fast native speakers), in 6 months, by being surrounded in it and using it every day, along with one formal lesson per day.

Appreciate that's probably not a realistic option for you - but any chance of spending a few weeks there? You'd need to be surrounded by people who wouldn't speak English to you. I found working with children a great start - children will just crack on and talk to you and not be worried if what you're saying back isn't grammatically correct, so makes you less nervous. I spent several weeks working in a summer holiday kids club. Kids couldn't speak any English, so no temptation on my part to speak English, and they were all happy to chat to me.

Books, films, radio. Watch the news. I read all of Harry Potter in French. Plenty of stuff on YouTube / the internet. Depending on your level, start with some stuff you're more familiar with (a lot of children's books like Roald Dahl have been translated, and reading something where you know the basic plot line already is an encouraging start).
Thank you for your advice! I can't go to the country but I will try the other things (^_^ ) Do you think that if I did this for 4 months I can improve a lot?

Also silly question but how would I apply to do a summer holidays kids club in Germany?
ongaro
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by AngelStarfire)
I'm learning German in school but I would like to become better at the language since I really want to be bilingual.

People said I should watch German films etc

What is the most efficient thing I can do to improve in my German skills or any language please?
you practice
ongaro
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
you practice
AngelStarfire
Rep:
?
(Original post by ongaro)
you practice
Practice what? Can you be more specific please?
ongaro
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
by the use of a teacher or the expert
KawaiiArtist
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How about becoming an au pair.
ZombieTheWolf
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you! Is it possible to improve in 4 months time?
Definitely, you just really need to immerse and push yourself. Don't just go over past papers, you will struggle, as someone suggests reading something you already kinda now is good to warm up. You can also watch a movie you have already seen in german, and maybe get english subtitles I think you can do this on netflix.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by ZombieTheWolf; 1 week ago
ongaro
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by KawaiiArtist)
How about becoming an au pair.
can clarify you question please am not understanding
ongaro
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
clarify it please what do you mean
KawaiiArtist
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
can clarify you question please am not understanding
It wasn't a question, it was just a suggestion
ongaro
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It can be okay and possible my dear
junior.doctor
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you for your advice! I can't go to the country but I will try the other things (^_^ ) Do you think that if I did this for 4 months I can improve a lot?

Also silly question but how would I apply to do a summer holidays kids club in Germany?
Any time you dedicate to it will result in an improvement, if you’re committed and you want to learn the language. Every person is different, so every person will be able to dedicate a different amount of time and do different things in the space of 4 months and therefore make variable progress. It depends what resources / help you have around you.

This is years and years ago, but when I was doing French A-level my sixth form had a contact for a language scheme in Belgium where I was able to go to help at a holiday club in Brussels for a few weeks, and stay with a Belgian family (I went with someone else from school).

Do what you reasonably can, enjoy yourself, and you’ll see your language improve. You’re not going to become fluent overnight, but you’ll increase your skill. What study level are you now? Out of interest, why do you want to become bilingual? There is a difference between having day to day proficiency in a language, and genuinely being fluent / bilingual and understanding subtle nuances / slang with ease. Do you have a plan for using your German / moving to Germany in the future? I am fluent in French, having learnt it st school then done a year of undergraduate-level evening classes, and then used it / lived in it day to day for three years overseas in french speaking Africa, which was always my hope.
ongaro
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by KawaiiArtist)
It wasn't a question, it was just a suggestion
but why are you laughing at me please?????
KawaiiArtist
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
but why are you laughing at me please?????
:confused: I'm not laughing at you, it was just a friendly smile.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (251)
27.14%
No (674)
72.86%

Watched Threads