Can I afford London? Watch

juju1199
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’ve applied to 3 universities in London and 2 out of London. I really love London and want to live there but I’m really worried that I won’t be able to enjoy it. I think my loan will just cover my accomidation so I will have to get a job on the side, which is fine but as a nursing student it’ll be hard and I won’t be able to do lots of hours. Do you think I’ll still be able to have fun and experience a good time at university in London if I don’t have a lot of money ?
umbrellala
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by juju1199)
I’ve applied to 3 universities in London and 2 out of London. I really love London and want to live there but I’m really worried that I won’t be able to enjoy it. I think my loan will just cover my accomidation so I will have to get a job on the side, which is fine but as a nursing student it’ll be hard and I won’t be able to do lots of hours. Do you think I’ll still be able to have fun and experience a good time at university in London if I don’t have a lot of money ?
I'm at uni in London at the moment, and honestly the only things I spend money on are food/general essentials and travel (which isn't much at all since I tend to walk everywhere). At least as my uni, people don't go out very often because we're all living on a budget so it can get incredibly expensive, and there aren't student nights like there are in other cities, so we mostly just stick to flat parties which work out super cheap. You definitely can still have a good experience in London, you just won't be going out clubbing very often or eating out much. And remember that you get a bigger maintenance loan too!
juju1199
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by umbrellala)
I'm at uni in London at the moment, and honestly the only things I spend money on are food/general essentials and travel (which isn't much at all since I tend to walk everywhere). At least as my uni, people don't go out very often because we're all living on a budget so it can get incredibly expensive, and there aren't student nights like there are in other cities, so we mostly just stick to flat parties which work out super cheap. You definitely can still have a good experience in London, you just won't be going out clubbing very often or eating out much. And remember that you get a bigger maintenance loan too!
Thanks for your reply. Thats good to know. Can I ask, is your maintance loan a lot higher than it would of been out of london, if you know. thanks
University of Westminster
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi there

I'm sure you're going to love studying in London and yes, it will be financially challenging but you'll have a blast. I always advise our students that there are loads of discounts available like discounted cinema tickets for students. All the best art galleries and museums are free. Buy a bike and a helmet and you can travel around London free of charge. Avoid tourist traps like Leicester Square where the prices are high and stick to cool neighbourhoods like Brixton, Peckham and Kentish Town where you'll find cheaper cafes and shops and interesting nightlife. Buying food at the supermarket and making your own meals will save you money. Also look at visiting street markets which are held at the weekend like Columbia Road, Deptford Market or Old Spitalfields. The atmosphere is vibrant and there's always something happening that you can enjoy.

Best of luck

Kim
umbrellala
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks for your reply. Thats good to know. Can I ask, is your maintance loan a lot higher than it would of been out of london, if you know. thanks
I'm not 100% certain but I think for me it was around £1800-£2000 more than outside of London. I'm at one of the lowest amounts you can get, but I think if you're eligible for the full amount it's about £3000 more than elsewhere.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (234)
27.3%
No (623)
72.7%

Watched Threads