Another scientist vows to use gene editing to cure Alzheimer’s Watch

HucktheForde
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
At the school’s Stem Cell Institute, IVF doctor and scientist Werner Neuhausser says he plans to begin using CRISPR, the gene-editing tool, to change the DNA code inside sperm cells.

The objective: to show whether it is possible to create IVF babies with a greatly reduced risk of Alzheimer’s disease later in life.

Gene-editing could possibly help shape the health of the future generation. While it has been considered revolutionary, it has been the mayhem of the medical and scientific community. It raises the critical question– whether gene-editing is ethical to prevent disease?

the pandora's box is opened...

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...editing-sperm/
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I agree with gene editing, if that guy was successful in eradicating HIV in those babies, then should be done for every child.
StriderHort
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I'm happy for them to go find out if it can be done I suppose, lost both my grandparents to protracted alz deaths and it's horrible.

I study DNA & Genetics (2nd yr) and the better techniques we get for identifying and tinkering with the stuff we're going to find more and more of these possibilities.

The wider argument on ethics is tough and i'm not confident adopting a position as the potential and likelihood of abuse is v high :/
Last edited by StriderHort; 9 months ago
HucktheForde
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
I'm happy for them to go find out if it can be done I suppose, lost both my granparents to protracted alz deaths and it's horrible.

I study DNA & Genetics (2nd yr) and the better techniques we get for identifiying and tinkering with the stuff we're going to find more and more of these possibilities.

The wider argument on ethics is tough and i'm not confident adopting a position as the potenential and likelihood of abuse is v high :/
Can you study how to edit my future son's gene to make his penis bigger? i dont want my son to suffer from the problem i have.

Actually i dont think i am ever going to have children :getmecoat:
StriderHort
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by random_matt)
I agree with gene editing, if that guy was successful in eradicating HIV in those babies, then should be done for every child.
There's pretty big risks though, we've long mapped the human genome but we're still unlclear on how some bits exactly interact or influence others...you might stop/modify the expression of a gene only to find quite a bit down the line that it's had unexpected consequences, not that this is an absolute case for not doing it, but it's a concern.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (23)
6.42%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (207)
57.82%
No (128)
35.75%

Watched Threads