Human Rights course live Q&A with Kingston University student Watch

Kingston University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all

Just to let you all know that to celebrate the 70th Anniversary of Human Rights Day, on Monday 10 December 2018, we will be holding a live Q&A here on The Student Room for all those who are interested in finding out more about the Human Rights courses offered here at Kingston University.

It will be lead by our Human Rights and Social Justice BA(Hons) student Olivia Firth, and we will be online from 2pm.

Feel free to ask us your questions, introduce yourself to other prospective students and share your experience on applying to one of our Human Rights courses, we'd love to hear from you.

Looking forward to talking to you guys soon!

Best wishes,
KU Team
Attached files
elihall2000
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
why is the universal declaration of human rights important to you?
Kingston University
Rep:
?
Happy Human Rights Day everyone

Just to let you all know Olivia is now live to take any questions you may have about our Human Rights courses as well as any general Kingston University or student life questions.

We're here till 3:30pm, so here's your chance to speak to a current student about her experience.

Talk to you all soon

KU Team
elihall2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what kind of things human rights related do you discuss in your classes?
Kingston University
Rep:
?
(Original post by elihall2000)
Thank you for this question! The Universal Declaration of Human Rights is important to me as it outlines the basic human rights each and every human being should have, regardless of religion, sexuality, ethnicity, class, gender or any other factors. To me the Universal Declaration of Human Rights unites people in a way that is unprecedented, making them recognize what rights they have as a human being by being a voice for freedom. This in turn allows them to not only realize their worth, but also how to help one another in combating human rights abuses, an action I believe is needed more than ever in the world we live in today. According to Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, “All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights,” and not only as a human rights and social justice student but also as a human being, I feel I have a moral obligation to uphold this idea.

One of our Human Rights Lecturers Stephen Bowen is doing a taster lecture on the Human Rights Challenges of Today, at 3pm this afternoon. Hopefully this topic will come up as it is something that is frequently discussed in our lectures! You can access it via https://medialibrary.kingston.ac.uk/Player/Live/12

Thank you,
Olivia
Last edited by Kingston University; 1 year ago
elihall2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you think healthcare is a human right?
Kingston University
Rep:
?
what kind of things human rights related do you discuss in your classes?
Thank you for this question! In our lectures we cover a wide range of human rights issues, covering both successes and failures in the field. For example, in the first couple of weeks we covered subjects such as What are Human Rights? and How do we define Human Rights? After this we moved on to topics such as Genocide, Prisoners of Conscience, Torture and Privacy. All of these topics are very interesting and cause many debates in the lectures which allows us to broaden our understanding of Human Rights as a whole! For the next teaching block, we are going to be studying campaigning for human rights, in which we look at how campaigns work as well as several different famous campaigns such as Black Lives Matter and the Feminism marches. Overall, our lectures cover a broad spectrum of human rights issues, and the best bit is, is that our lecturer allows us to have input on what topic we want to cover, adding a personal touch to our education.

One of our Human Rights Lecturers Stephen Bowen is doing a taster lecture on the Human Rights Challenges of Today, at 3pm this afternoon. You can access it via https://medialibrary.kingston.ac.uk/Player/Live/12

Thank you,
Olivia
Kingston University
Rep:
?
From the perspective of a law student, I'd say that this declaration is important because as the catalyst for human rights all over the world, without it where would we be in this current era ? This document has served for inspiration to the European Convent of Human Rights and subsequently the Human Right Act 1998 here in the UK. Having such a framework in place is extremely vital and though there are human rights issues faced daily, if there was no framework whatsoever I cannot even begin to imagine how our world would be.
- KU rep and 2nd year Law Student
Kingston University
Rep:
?
Do you think healthcare is a human right?
Thank you for this question! In fact this was a topic that we were recently discussing in class! Personally, yes I do think that healthcare is a basic human right, and one that should be upheld. Healthcare is a necessity to live, and seeing as Article 3 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states that "Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person", I believe that it is paramount to human rights. I would love to hear what you think of this as well!

One of our Human Rights Lecturers Stephen Bowen is doing a taster lecture on the Human Rights Challenges of Today, at 3pm this afternoon. You can access it via https://medialibrary.kingston.ac.uk/Player/Live/12

Thank you,
Olivia
elihall2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I often have argued that the Guantanamo bay detention center should be closed and there should be an investigation into human rights violations,but many Americans are still in favor of keeping Guantanamo bay open and have no problem with torture.What's your view on Guantanamo bay and did the U.S violate human rights?
Kingston University
Rep:
?
I often have argued that the Guantanamo bay detention center should be closed and there should be an investigation into human rights violations,but many Americans are still in favor of keeping Guantanamo bay open and have no problem with torture.What's your view on Guantanamo bay and did the U.S violate human rights?
Thank you for this amazing question! I agree with you completely on this! I believe that the Guantanamo Bay detention centre should be closed as well as the blatant fact that the United States did violate human rights. Getting the detainees in the detention centre often involves a practice called rendition, which is illegally transferring someone to another country or state where the punishment for crimes are much harsher. This in itself violated the detainees basic human rights of the freedom of movement! As well as this, there is no denying that torture is a reoccurring practice in the centre, with accusations of waterboarding, forced sleep deprivation and beatings. Therefore, i believe that the United States did violate human rights on such a large scale that it is quite extraordinary! One interesting read within our modules is from Human Rights Watch (2011) and is called, Getting Away with Torture: The Bush Administration and the Treatment of Detainees, which can be accessed here: https://www.refworld.org/docid/4e1c0c0b2.html. I found this particularly interesting as it looks into the treatment of detainees, as well as how those in power get around complying to the rules of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Thank you,
Olivia
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Any relation to Colin?
Kingston University
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)
Any relation to Colin?
Thank you for the question! Funnily enough, this is one that I get quite frequently and i am afraid to say that the answer is no! However, i always use to convince people that he was my uncle and quite a few people believed it.

Thank you,
Olivia
elihall2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Any relation to Colin?
no I'm from the U.S and dont have any relatives in the U.K
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kingston University)
Thank you for the question! Funnily enough, this is one that I get quite frequently and i am afraid to say that the answer is no! However, i always use to convince people that he was my uncle and quite a few people believed it.

Thank you,
Olivia
Well, I thought it might be a long shot.
elihall2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What about President Obama's use of the drone program do you think that was a violation of human rights?
Kingston University
Rep:
?
What about President Obama's use of the drone program do you think that was a violation of human rights?
Thank you again for this question! For me this one is a grey area. Whilst technology has advanced to allow drones to be extremely precise, I believe that it still effected the innocent people caught up in this situation. President Obama said that it would not effect a single innocent person, however, this has been challenged by a number of human rights organisations. Whilst the civilian death toll was low, there were still major psychological effects on those experiencing the drone attacks upon their villages, meaning that they often feared being there. As a liberal, I believe that it is necessary yet difficult to tackle terrorism, as "one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter" and there are some opinions that aren't easily changed. Therefore, i do believe that to a certain extent, Obama's use of the drone programme did violate human rights.

Thank you,
Olivia
Kingston University
Rep:
?
Hi Everyone,

That wraps up our Human Rights course live Q&A with Olivia.

Thank you to everyone who asked their questions, we hope you got to learn as much as we did from Olivia.

If anyone else has any more questions, or if you liked having a live Q&A and would perhaps like to hear from more of our students from other courses, let us know!

We'll speak to you again soon.

Best wishes,
KU Team
elihall2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How do you feel about the west's relationship with saudi arabia.Should we take a step back or maintain our relationship?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (422)
67.41%
No (204)
32.59%

Watched Threads