Can I get a 2.2 Watch

Rockgirl2018
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I was wondering if its possible to get a 2.2 overall degree if I got a 2.1 in second year. I have heard people say that as long as you get a 2.1 in second year and your dissertation you get a 2.1 overall grade even if the rest of your course marks are 3rd and 2.2s, is this true?
LostAccount
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Your question makes no sense. At least the calculations.

Your final grade depends on the weight of the credits and your grade in them.

If module A is 20% of yr2 credit and you got 70%
and module B is 20% of yr 2 credit and you got 58%
and module C is 30% of yr 2 credit and you got 66%
and module D is 30% of your yr 3 credit and you got 64%

then (0.2x0.7)+(0.2x0.58)+(0.3x0.66)+ (0.3x0.64)=0.14+0.116+0.198+0.19 2 = 0.646 or 64.6% or (in majority of unis) 2:1

that means your year 2 average is 64.6%, then you'd have to weigh that by how much year 2 is worth to overall grade. in my university, year 2 is only worth 40%, so in reality if I got 64.6% in my example then I have only 'guaranteed' a percentage of at least 26% ... meaning that even though I got a middling 2:1 in year two, I still have the 'opportunity' of not even getting a 3rd on graduation.

check your course specifications to see the weights.
quasa
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Rockgirl2018)
I was wondering if its possible to get a 2.2 overall degree if I got a 2.1 in second year. I have heard people say that as long as you get a 2.1 in second year and your dissertation you get a 2.1 overall grade even if the rest of your course marks are 3rd and 2.2s, is this true?
anyone can get any grades. personally I would aim for a 2:1 if you are on course for a 2:1, or even aim for a first
Acsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Rockgirl2018)
The only thing you can do is check weightings and calculate it yourself. Going on a 40:60 split:

Second Year is overall worth 40%. A 2:1 is anything from 58.5% to 68.4%. That means getting a 2:1 is worth anything from 23.4% to 27.36% of your overall degree.

Third Year overall is worth 60%, with the final year project worth a third of that. That effectively means your final year project is worth 20% of your overall degree. So a 2:1 in that is worth anything from 11.7% to 13.68%.

Adding it together so far, you have completed 60% of your overall degree and it is worth anything from 35.1% to 41.04%. For easiness sake, I'm just going to say 35-41%.

Assuming you are looking at the pure minimum you need to get a 2:1 (58.5%), the remaining 40% of your degree (so all your other final year modules) need to be worth 17.5% to 23.5% (58.5% minimum boundary minus the 35-41% you already have). Turning that back into modules, you collectively need 43.75% to 58.75% on those 3rd year modules to barely scrape a 2:1.

Of course it's not as simple as that. If you got low 2:1s you need to get higher grades in final year and a 3rd probably won't cut it. But if you got high 2:1s, you can just about afford to get passing marks.

So yes, it is technically possible, but there are a lot of factors involved. Getting a 2:1 in second year and your dissertation doesn't immediately mean you can get all 3rd and still get a 2:1. This also only factors in the lowest boundary.

Conversely, the opposite is also true. If you got high 2:1s in your second year and dissertation, you may well find that good Firsts in the remaining third year modules are enough to pull you up to a First overall.

Generally it's a good idea not to focus too much on the exact numbers. Don't let what I've said above make you complacent. I've only accounted for the bare minimum mark you need to get a 2:1, which means a slight slip up means you miss out. It's also worth noting that I haven't accounted for Portsmouth outright ignoring your lowest grade unit, or ignoring second year altogether if you do well in third year. This is an exceptionally complex issue and unless you are already in the position to be worrying about it (i.e. you have numbers now) you shouldn't really bother focusing on it.

Because at the end of the day, I can get all pass marks in second year (enough to get me onto final year), get all Firsts in my final year and end up with a First because second year will get ignored. This would be a dumb thing to do though, even if it were possible.

Generally Portsmouth (or at least my school) are very forgiving as they have a lot of ways to help bump grades up. Ignoring second year, ignoring your lowest module, rounding up both decimal marks and boundary marks, etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Portsmouth
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 12 Oct '19
    Sat, 9 Nov '19
    Sat, 30 Nov '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (190)
12.77%
Excited (122)
8.2%
Worried (279)
18.75%
Terrified (343)
23.05%
Meh (123)
8.27%
Confused (34)
2.28%