Stay at home or move out for uni vote!!! Watch

Wi11ow
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So Im super confused and would love some advice! I have a few options:

1) stay at home and go to a better London uni but have to commute in on trains in rush hour
2)move out and go to a less well-known uni out of London
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
goodgirl05
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Living at uni gives you the full experience, and it'll be easier to access the lecturers and library etc, but it will get lonely.
Kyle331
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
B, I was considering staying in London but I’ve decided I’m definitely moving out of this crap whole
Wi11ow
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kyle331)
B, I was considering staying in London but I’ve decided I’m definitely moving out of this crap whole
A whole mood, I don’t know if I’ll be able to last another 4 years here :/
Leti-
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
honestly get out of London as soon as you can, or else you'll just never leave or go anywhere else
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Wi11ow)

1) stay at home and go to a better London uni but have to commute in on trains in rush hour
Is there not a third option where you go to a London uni but still move out? I would imagine to some extent, London uni accommodation is close-ish to the uni itself. And even then, you won't necessarily be commuting in rush hour. You may find you only have classes in the middle of the day.

Also worth mentioning, unis can't simply be divided into "good London unis" and "less well known unis outside London". The vast majority of top universities are not in London and you have plenty of strong options outside London.
Kyle331
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A whole mood, I don’t know if I’ll be able to last another 4 years here :/
Don’t know what some people like about this place, it’s honestly a **** hole unless ur filthy rich
rumatar
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Move out
LostAccount
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Depends how important saving money is for you.
Wi11ow
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acsel)
Is there not a third option where you go to a London uni but still move out? I would imagine to some extent, London uni accommodation is close-ish to the uni itself. And even then, you won't necessarily be commuting in rush hour. You may find you only have classes in the middle of the day.

Also worth mentioning, unis can't simply be divided into "good London unis" and "less well known unis outside London". The vast majority of top universities are not in London and you have plenty of strong options outside London.
That isn’t really an option for me just because of the expense of it, it seems such a waste if I have a room in London free of rent anyway. And also for a Fine Art degree, London would have the best universities available. But thank you anyway!
JudaicImposter
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Have you submitted your UCAS application? What are the specific universities and courses being considered?
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by goodgirl05)
Living at uni gives you the full experience, and it'll be easier to access the lecturers and library etc, but it will get lonely.
what "full" experience? the only difference between studying away from home and at home is going to uni in your pj's, and sometimes that's not even a difference. You still get societies, clubs, events, discounts, education, sex, debt, connections. Well the main difference is more independence/self sufficiency staying home because your parents will make you pay your own way. You know nothing.
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That isn’t really an option for me just because of the expense of it, it seems such a waste if I have a room in London free of rent anyway. And also for a Fine Art degree, London would have the best universities available. But thank you anyway!
Have you looked into expenses? I'm aware that London rates are more expensive and that you get more loan to cover it, but also that you get less loan if you live at home. And of course the cost of commuting factors in. But possibly more importantly, many people recommend living away from home so that you don't miss out. IDK what it looks like for you in terms of expenses, but living away from home in London may be justified if it means you get the full uni experience.

It seems you have your heart set on staying in London though, which means you've made up your mind already. But for the record, there are plenty of strong art courses in unis outside London.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by LostAccount)
Depends how important saving money is for you.
lol
Wi11ow
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acsel)
Have you looked into expenses? I'm aware that London rates are more expensive and that you get more loan to cover it, but also that you get less loan if you live at home. And of course the cost of commuting factors in. But possibly more importantly, many people recommend living away from home so that you don't miss out. IDK what it looks like for you in terms of expenses, but living away from home in London may be justified if it means you get the full uni experience.

It seems you have your heart set on staying in London though, which means you've made up your mind already. But for the record, there are plenty of strong art courses in unis outside London.
Ahh thank you so much! I’ll definitely consider it!
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

I would go to the better uni in London and live in halls. I go to uni in London and know loads of people who are from London and still live in halls/private accommodation.
HarshTruths
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So much misinformation above...

If you enjoy clubbing/drinking then move out for Uni. When people talk about the "Uni experience" of living in halls, they're referring to the sweaty moshpits of drunk students in cramped bars/clubs. If that appeals to you, then move out.

If you don't enjoy clubbing/drinking then stay at home. People will say "you won't make friends" or "you will miss out on the experience"; both of which are untrue. You can still join socieities and make friends through your courses.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

The easy answer is 2. But The bigger question is which university and location do you prefer? Do you like where you live will your parents charge you rent do you ant an active social life will your parents restrict you if you keep coming home at 4am can you get home ant a reasonable time and how long is the commute more than 0.5 of an hour I say for sure live out you need ton sider all these things.
JudaicImposter
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I haven’t submitted it yet but my top choices are:
Fine art at either Chelsea College of Arts or Central st Martins in London- Im currently on the foundation there so I’ll get a guaranteed place on a UAL course
Or Painting at Brighton
UAL CSM is highly competitive to get into if I had a place there I would take it. I think networking/connections is very important for the creative arts industry;the best location for obtaining this is London. I would highly consider University of Edinburgh School of Art as it does have the highest overall international international ranking/reputation out of all UK institutions for Art/Design.
Wi11ow
Rep:
?
(Original post by JudaicImposter)
UAL CSM is highly competitive to get into if I had a place there I would take it. I think networking/connections is very important for the creative arts industry;the best location for obtaining this is London. I would highly consider University of Edinburgh School of Art as it does have the highest overall international international ranking/reputation out of all UK institutions for Art/Design.
Thank you sm I’ll check it out!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (235)
27.39%
No (623)
72.61%

Watched Threads