Please help!!!

Watch
This discussion is closed.
kirst5522
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
how do i tell my parents i want to drop out of college, without starting a massive argument over it??
nerops
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Woof, tricky one.

I know this is probably not the answer you want to hear, but in my opinion the best way would be to sit down with them and tell them about it (in person would be best, I would avoid over the phone). Whether there will be a massive argument or not, that depends on the family, and at the end of the day you know your parents best. But I would personally suggest you do talk with them, tell them how you feel, why you want to drop out of college - just be honest. I would not recommend other options such as dropping out and not telling them, or trying to hint the message via smoke signals or interpretive dance (as these may not be as effective).

Hope this helps, have a great day!
Last edited by nerops; 1 year ago
kirst5522
Rep:
?
Thank you for the advice and I guess I will have to try that and just see how it goes!!
nerops
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kirst5522)
Thank you for the advice and I guess I will have to try that and just see how it goes!!
No problem, hope it goes well
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think you should reconsider. College is free. Wait until after?

For what reasons do you want to drop out?
kirst5522
Rep:
?
I’m really not enjoying the course and I hate this college
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by SkeletonLady)
If you string together some valid criticisms of the course and college and offer better alternatives for yourself then it will help your parents see this as a mature decision. For example, saying why you dislike the college and how that is impeding your education and mental health, and why because you are on the wrong course, this is going to lead to you going nowhere. Try and have an alternative in mind, or at least some ideas of a college or education placement you would like to take part in instead. Showing how this will lead to potential career or uni paths will show them that you care about your education as much as they do. And the most important thing, try not to get emotional during your discussion with them. Remain calm, and logical, even if it gets heated. Maturity goes a long way. Hope this helps x
the thread was a year old
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads