The Student Room Group

My ingenious plan to get into Oxford next year

This year I was rejected from Oxford for Engineering and I felt absolutely awful. But now I have a plan. Suppose I decided to go ahead and study Engineering at Warwick and apply for Oxford that year. if I get in I will have to redo the year but it will be much easier because I have already done it.

If that doesn't work then I'll apply the year after that and then the year after that until I reach my fourth year and at that point I think that I could easily pass the PAT by then. I will go to the interview and absolutely ace it because I've done most of the entire course So I have to ace it.

If I get rejected for the fifth time out of some miraculous reason I will just apply the next year after graduating. If that doesn't work out well then I guess that's it.
If I recall (and I know this is definitely the case for Cambridge), if you apply from another University then you won't get an offer unless there are exceptional circumstances surrounding your current university place. If you are really set on Oxford, then maybe just take a gap year and reapply with your A-level grades (second round applicants do have a higher rate of offers). But really evaluate your choices. If you like Warwick, then maybe just - you know - stay! It's a great university, and an Oxford applicant like you would definitely succeed there!
You sound like you are fully determined so I agree. Warwick is a brilliant university you will do well regardless!
Original post by JQOS
If I recall (and I know this is definitely the case for Cambridge), if you apply from another University then you won't get an offer unless there are exceptional circumstances surrounding your current university place. If you are really set on Oxford, then maybe just take a gap year and reapply with your A-level grades (second round applicants do have a higher rate of offers). But really evaluate your choices. If you like Warwick, then maybe just - you know - stay! It's a great university, and an Oxford applicant like you would definitely succeed there!

I searched it up. I can't apply from another uni. I feel crushed. I mean. Can't I just drop out and then go there? What if I fail to get in a second time after a gap year? Then I would be stuffed.
I suggest you visit Warwick and see how you like it. Oxbridge is great and all, but it’s not the end all be all! Warwick is an amazing uni, and I’m sure you’ll have a great experience there. If you’re really deadset on Oxford, maybe consider it for your graduate studies or take a gap year and try to ace your A levels and do cool/relevant things to put in your PS.
Reply 5
Oxford isn’t everything. Take a gap year if you like, that’s not a bad idea (have a look at the YINI if you’re stuck for gap year activities, it’s great for engineering students, Cambridge have recommended it) but remember that wherever you go, you can still be happy and get the degree you need. Just don’t pin everything on Oxford! Warwick is a great uni and so are many others.
Reply 6
I will second the advice everyone else has given. 10 years into your career, no one will care whether you went to Oxford or Warwick. They will care about your competence as an engineer, as evidenced by your work history and reference. Warwick is an excellent university.If you do decide to take a gap year, just make sure it's not wasted. Do something substantial. That way if you reapply and still don't get in, you won't have wasted a year. If all you're going to do is stay at home playing games, working part time at Tesco, doing a little bit of wider reading (which let's face it, will be limited) then it's not worth it.
Honestly, you sound way too obsessed. It's a shame you didn't get in first time, but planning the next 4 years of your life around going to Oxford sounds insane. Why don't you do your BSc at Warwick and apply for masters at Oxford (provided they offer it)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending