How does this work? Watch

DriBokaie1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I was wondering how classes are on a day to day basis?

Like, how many hours a day do you go to lecture? What time do classes usually start and end? Do you have free time at night? Etc...

I am coming from the USA as an undergrad for Biomedical Sciences in Newcastle so I am not sure how classes actually work here. I know in US unis that you go to class usually only for like 3-4 hours a day and they are spread out depending on the times you chose your class when you enrolled.

Thanks!!
maryam_g
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Pretty sure it’s the same in the UK but don’t quote me on that.
Sonicalireza
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by maryam_g)
Pretty sure it’s the same in the UK but don’t quote me on that.
Erik28
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends entirely on the course. I do Linguistics and have three modules a term. Each module has 1 1/2 hour lecture and a 1 1/2 hour seminar. So a total of 9 hours contact time a week in total. They're spread out across the week, but again, every uni and every course will be different. I have Thursdays off and only one session on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Earliest start will be 9am, latest finish is 1700. We can't choose our timetable, you get what you're given. Sometimes you can change to another seminar if the tutor is happy with that

You're doing BioMed so expect more contact time. Humanities have less contact time but we're expected to do more outside reading and develop the opinions of academics on topics.

Yes plenty of free time in evenings and weekends.
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DriBokaie1)
I was wondering how classes are on a day to day basis?

Like, how many hours a day do you go to lecture? What time do classes usually start and end? Do you have free time at night? Etc...

I am coming from the USA as an undergrad for Biomedical Sciences in Newcastle so I am not sure how classes actually work here. I know in US unis that you go to class usually only for like 3-4 hours a day and they are spread out depending on the times you chose your class when you enrolled.

Thanks!!
Many courses will have similarly low contact hours, although it varies from course to course and uni to uni. I only had around 9-12 contact hours a week but some students have had as much as 20.

The key difference is that you won't be choosing your hours by choosing classes when you enroll. Many courses have a fairly fixed structure and you'll go to the classes whenever they are scheduled. If that means you have to be in for 9am every day, tough. If that means you get lucky and only have 2pm classes, great. You don't get to choose only evening classes. IMO this is a much better way of doing things as it prevents students choosing classes based on the time they want to attend regardless of whether that class is useful. The main exception is that you may get optional units. However even if you get to choose an optional module, you won't know when they are scheduled and will likely choose them in the academic year prior.

So yes, you will have a load of free time and you may only have a few hours a day. But you generally don't get any say in what time you go to class. It's up to you to ensure you can attend at the requested times.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (17)
94.44%
No (1)
5.56%

Watched Threads