How are most people on here so smart academically? Watch

Cloud007
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I see people constantly getting grade 8/9/A/A* here for GCSE and it kind of confuses me, TBH. Even A*A*A* at a level.

I only got 2 As, 2 Bs and 5 Cs. I'm pretty average and at a comprehensive school. I just don't understand how people have this level of motivation to study constantly. I also see some people looking down on universities that aren't Russell Group universities and I think it's really mean TBH. But anyway, I'm just asking how people are motivated to study constantly. Do they have a good balance of time? Is it genetics? Work ethic? I'd genuinely like to know.
ibyghee
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It is partly to do with genetics, some people are just hard workers. But tbh, if you're on student room and getting good grades XD. It must be because of natural talent aka genetics. Like, not everyone really does hard work but they still get good grades, I know that sounds demoralising but you do the hard work now you will develop a greater work ethic in the future.
nio.m
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
idk for me but closer to exams i get like a sensation to study like i wanna study cos i wanna do well

and i am mad competitive so i wanna do better than people and proudly show my results
jtkai
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Some people like to come on here just to brag about their grades!!

I don’t think that those grades are entirely down to genetics. I do think some people will naturally find some things easier, like if you have a good memory then you’re fine for GCSEs as most of it is just memorising stuff, but everyone needs to put in the effort to get the top grades, especially to A-Levels and beyond.

I won’t say what grades I got in my GCSEs because I don’t think it’s relevant but people always assume that I find everything easy without having to work hard, and assume I must be some kind of genius from my results. What they didn’t see was that I was in a very bad place mentally in the couple months before GCSEs and coped with it basically by locking myself in my room for 8-10 hours a day with a lot of water and just constantly working and revising (yeah it got pretty bad). Of course I would never advise that anyone does this, it was really unhealthy and it made things a lot worse. But remember that you only see the results, not what work people put into things. And you definitely don’t need to go to those lengths to get those grades!!

There’s that cliche phrase that I do think helps: work smarter, not harder. 2-3 hours of efficient and targeted work is better than 10 hours of constant and inefficient revision with no breaks.

Finally, this is a good website to hang around on in order to improve! People can come here and share materials and strategies and just support each other. I think that impacts the grades people get because you can get a lot from being part of this community
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
MeterMaid
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Cloud007)
I see people constantly getting grade 8/9/A/A* here for GCSE and it kind of confuses me, TBH. Even A*A*A* at a level.

I only got 2 As, 2 Bs and 5 Cs. I'm pretty average and at a comprehensive school. I just don't understand how people have this level of motivation to study constantly. I also see some people looking down on universities that aren't Russell Group universities and I think it's really mean TBH. But anyway, I'm just asking how people are motivated to study constantly. Do they have a good balance of time? Is it genetics? Work ethic? I'd genuinely like to know.
I'm not smart at all haha. I'm doing GCSEs at the moment, and despite being in top set for all my subjects the highest i get is grade 6... maybe a 7/8 in Spanish if I'm having a good day (though how im billingual French/English helps with languages). I just don't understand smart people! Can they give me their powers?
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What are you talking about? A*A*A* at A level is awful. If you don’t have at least 16 A*s at A level and 142 A*s at GCSE then you’re an abject failure in all honesty.
Ben878 (LfL)
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do be aware this forum does showcase the higher achieving academics of the entire national+ youth population - it's not like active members here are really your average student. Personally, I believe most high academic achievers are trained to become mentally 'forced' to study all the time out of fear of doing badly / not accepting anything but very high standards. However, some do have extreme motivation purely for doing it themselves. 'Tis my interpretation of it anyway
RichPiana
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
What are you talking about? A*A*A* at A level is awful. If you don’t have at least 16 A*s at A level and 142 A*s at GCSE then you’re an abject failure in all honesty.
That’s all? I achieved twice as good results as those before I was even conceived!
the_logician
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
From being what you would call an academic student, I'll have to say that some of the motivation (read: pressure) comes from people (read: parents and teachers) having sometimes unrealistic high standards and not wanting to disappoint them. Competitiveness does come into play sometimes, but after a while, it's just the need to prove to myself that yes, I'm actually a good student and can put in the work.
Let me tell you something. Not all academic people study constantly. That's very stressful and you won't really get that much work done. Using my friend as an example, she studies when she knows she'll get the most information meaning that she only actively works for like 2-3 hours a day and binges Netflix for the rest. Yes, she's naturally gifted, but she's also figured out what works best for her and uses it.
Cloud007
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ben878 (LfL))
Do be aware this forum does showcase the higher achieving academics of the entire national+ youth population - it's not like active members here are really your average student. Personally, I believe most high academic achievers are trained to become mentally 'forced' to study all the time out of fear of doing badly / not accepting anything but very high standards. However, some do have extreme motivation purely for doing it themselves. 'Tis my interpretation of it anyway
That's kind of sad... I study a lot at a level because I like working hard and I want to do well like everyone else, too. I do understand that many people study often(and achieve well, too), and I admire their work ethic, but I can't help but think that they're missing out on living a "normal" life. Studying all day everyday doesn't sound nice...
sinfonietta
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This forum is targetted toward students and naturally attracts people who are extremely invested in their studies, so it shows a disproportionate amount of high achievers.

I'm definitely not the best student. I wasn't back when I was in secondary school either. But secondary school me didn't care enough about her education to spend 2 minutes to try and Google an online resource that would help. Heck I didn't join this website until I was 19 - I'm 26 now, have an ordinary BA degree, and I'm in the third year of a BSc and overall I'm still really not any good at this whole student thing. I think I just scraped a pass in the immunology exam I sat yesterday. :lol:
Chronoscope
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Also average, I only have 3 B's for gcse and the rest are C;s and below (I only got one A so far in my education)
I'd say most people are here because they value their education or are enthusiastic about learning or want to improve in something.
Side note -people can't study all the time because at some point they could experience burn out.
Cloud007
Rep:
?
(Original post by jtkai)
Some people like to come on here just to brag about their grades!!

I don’t think that those grades are entirely down to genetics. I do think some people will naturally find some things easier, like if you have a good memory then you’re fine for GCSEs as most of it is just memorising stuff, but everyone needs to put in the effort to get the top grades, especially to A-Levels and beyond.

I won’t say what grades I got in my GCSEs because I don’t think it’s relevant but people always assume that I find everything easy without having to work hard, and assume I must be some kind of genius from my results. What they didn’t see was that I was in a very bad place mentally in the couple months before GCSEs and coped with it basically by locking myself in my room for 8-10 hours a day with a lot of water and just constantly working and revising (yeah it got pretty bad). Of course I would never advise that anyone does this, it was really unhealthy and it made things a lot worse. But remember that you only see the results, not what work people put into things. And you definitely don’t need to go to those lengths to get those grades!!

There’s that cliche phrase that I do think helps: work smarter, not harder. 2-3 hours of efficient and targeted work is better than 10 hours of constant and inefficient revision with no breaks.

Finally, this is a good website to hang around on in order to improve! People can come here and share materials and strategies and just support each other. I think that impacts the grades people get because you can get a lot from being part of this community
I think this is good too. I just(personally, from what I've read on this website), don't think this website really welcomes more average person due to its competitive nature. As I've said, I've noticed that some people tend to put universities that aren't Russell Group universities down. Then again, it is the internet. I probably shouldn't take it so seriously.
RedGiant
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Some are just degenerates looking to brag lol, it's not representative of everyone.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Perseverence, in my case.
ltsmith
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
selection bias
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
This. :five: Also, there is no point posting on TSR unless you got into Cambridge aged 7. Anyone older than 8 or 9 - total failure, stick to the Tab and Reddit.
Seamus123
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m not academically clever, but I am intelligent. I wanted my degree so badly and made up for my lack of academic ability by working very hard.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by gjd800)
Perseverence, in my case.
*Perseverance, in my case

:bear:

:badger:
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

2 separate things that I'll address:

Firstly, TSR is a student website. It's an extreme generalisation but good students are more likely to be on TSR whereas bad students are more likely to be smoking behind the bike sheds. Hopefully you can see what I mean by that. The average TSR grade is skewed because the students getting Es would consider being on TSR "too nerdy".

As for how people get good grades, it varies. I'll use myself as an example because I'm the most detailed example I can give. Biologically I have a pretty good memory so that helps. From a young age, I've also been pretty good with Maths (probably a biological reason for that too). Since education has a high focus on memory and recall, I already have somewhat of an advantage there. I don't have to study constantly, since I tend to understand things pretty quickly and remember them without too much effort. On top of that, I've added my own techniques to further improve my memory.

In terms of my upbringing, I had it fairly alright. My family wasn't well off, but we weren't in poverty either. At least not that I could see. Neither me nor my siblings would "play out as children" but we weren't inside constantly revising. We naturally had more time than other kids as we weren't outside for hours but still had a mix of fun and work. Since going out to play was never a thing for me as a kid, I've very much gotten used to being inside all the time. As a result, I can happily sit at my desk all day working on various things. I won't go massively into it, but one of my parents passed away when I was 8 (Year 4 at school). I'm sure that had a psychological impact on me too.

So we've seen a mix of genetics and upbringing there. To expand on that, I've somewhat learned behaviours. I know that if I want to do well, I have to work for it. I'm not personally content with being average. I never had to be told to do my homework as a kid, I just did it. That sort of stuff.

Really there isn't one answer. It's a mix of things for different people. I personally think I have a great balance of time. I do take my genetics for granted. And as a result of my work ethic, I just get things done. But everything I am today is a culmination of everything that has ever happened to me, good and bad. And for every individual, that's different. Some of this stuff can be learned, some of it can be experienced and some of the genetic stuff can even be replicated. But ironically very little of it can be taught.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (233)
27.51%
No (614)
72.49%

Watched Threads