The Student Room Group

Blackfishing - pretending to be black - cultural appreciation or appropriation?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CityofMud
This attitude implies that the cultures are compatible and that what is a 'negative' is clearly defined, which it's not. For example drinking is a sin for some cultures and they don't even approve of alcohol being sold openly- wouldn't it be sensible to keep your mouth shut and just not drink yourself if you moved to Britain from such a culture? In the same way if I moved to a place where drinking in public was frowned upon I would definitely not do it even if it was 'my' culture to drink. I of course agree that nobody has the right to tell anyone to do anything else, e.g. if you don't drink nobody should ostracize you or force you to do so. But equally if you move to a country where drinking is commonplace it's wrong for you to judge its people as savages, just because it doesn't align with your values. If you hate it so much then why did you go there in the first place?

But if you were a citizen of saudi arabia, you worked there for 30 years and you had the strength in numbers to launch a political movement, you have a right to demand the government and the people respect your wishes as Saudi Arabian citizens to make drinking legal. That is your right and the Saudi government should respect that and listen to it's population.
Original post by punkdilla
But if you were a citizen of saudi arabia, you worked there for 30 years and you had the strength in numbers to launch a political movement, you have a right to demand the government and the people respect your wishes as Saudi Arabian citizens to make drinking legal. That is your right and the Saudi government should respect that and listen to it's population.

Exactly- and the key phrase here is 'strength in numbers'. If you are a minority then by definition you don't have that, and it doesn't make sense for the majority to change to accommodate you instead of the other way around. Especially when there are conflicting needs between minorities- then bowing to political pressure from a single minority group risks pushing aside the rights of the others.

Note that I'm saying this in the context of Britain- the latest data I can find is 2011, and this is what it says:

white 87.2%, black/African/Caribbean/black British 3%, Asian/Asian British: Indian 2.3%, Asian/Asian British: Pakistani 1.9%, mixed 2%, other 3.7%
Compare it to a country like Malaysia, where the largest 'native' ethnic group accounts for around 50% of the population, and the next largest is 20%. You can clearly see a difference, which is why Malaysia has a diversity of political parties, national holidays for the festivals of each ethnic group, etc. It's a different paradigm. Granted, Malaysia also has its problems, and its a fascinating study in the best and worst of diversity.

Sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_United_Kingdom#Ethnicity
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/ethnic-groups-of-malaysia.html
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by CityofMud
Exactly- and the key phrase here is 'strength in numbers'. If you are a minority then by definition you don't have that, and it doesn't make sense for the majority to change to accommodate you instead of the other way around. Especially when there are conflicting needs between minorities- then bowing to political pressure from a single minority group risks pushing aside the rights of the others.

Note that I'm saying this in the context of Britain- the latest data I can find is 2011, and this is what it says:

white 87.2%, black/African/Caribbean/black British 3%, Asian/Asian British: Indian 2.3%, Asian/Asian British: Pakistani 1.9%, mixed 2%, other 3.7%
Compare it to a country like Malaysia, where the largest 'native' ethnic group accounts for around 50% of the population, and the next largest is 20%. You can clearly see a difference, which is why Malaysia has a diversity of political parties, national holidays for the festivals of each ethnic group, etc. It's a different paradigm. Granted, Malaysia also has its problems, and its a fascinating study in the best and worst of diversity.

Sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_United_Kingdom#Ethnicity
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/ethnic-groups-of-malaysia.html

Let's hope we get more brown people in here then :smile:

What you might see as a right in Britain is not necessarily a right in Saudi Arabia. Doing something like that would get you thrown into gaol pretty fast there, as the women who campaigned to be able to driver recently found.
Original post by Good bloke
What you might see as a right in Britain is not necessarily a right in Saudi Arabia. Doing something like that would get you thrown into gaol pretty fast there, as the women who campaigned to be able to driver recently found.

I know bruv, Saudi Arabia is a *****y country and a *****y government, I was making a point.
The majority at one point thought slavery was ok. Being the majority does not make one right.

No but I'll give the majority more credibility than one random guy and his baseless assertions.
Original post by Jebedee
No but I'll give the majority more credibility than one random guy and his baseless assertions.

cool man, inshallah you'll be muslim one day alhumdullilah allahuakbar,
cool man, inshallah you'll be muslim one day alhumdullilah allahuakbar,

Inshallah? It's not god that must be willing, but me. Unless I suffer some severe head injury in the near future, I can't see it happening :smile:
This whole situation about racial identification reminded me of an old Chapelle Show sketch (warning strong/ offensive language so if you are easily offended, do not click the spoiler). ps the "censored version" is the same as the uncensored but lower resolution :|

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
I don't care, every day theres a new controversy and new things for people to be offended by. i don't know how these people have this much time to stay on social media all day and just seek things to be offended by so they can look 'woke' and get some attention. i've just detached myself from it all, it's not good for your mental health. much more important things going on than a girl using dark foundation. on insta.
I don't think I could ever take anyone seriously who thought this was any kind of genuine issue.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I don't think I could ever take anyone seriously who thought this was any kind of genuine issue.

Ha ha ha
.......You cannot be serious ....😂😃😁😀
Only blackfish I was aware of was that amazing documentary on orcas
Reply 53
"We're forced to toil in the plantations everyday for no pay, fed nothing but gruel and if we don't work hard enough we get whipped and beaten. When will this oppression end?" - African Americans 1818

"Some white girl in England is too tanned and curly haired, and she's getting more likes on Istagram than me. When will this oppression end!?" - African Americans 2018

lmfao she went from Ariana Grande to my ****ing half Jamaican girlfriend!! :rofl2:
Original post by Wōden
"We're forced to toil in the plantations everyday for no pay, fed nothing but gruel and if we don't work hard enough we get whipped and beaten. When will this oppression end?" - African Americans 1818

"Some white girl in England is too tanned and curly haired, and she's getting more likes on Istagram than me. When will this oppression end!?" - African Americans 2018

just embarrassing. AND they made her more famous lmao. no wonder black men are leaving.
1. There is a huge assumption in this theory that the people are doing it on purpose with the purpose being what exactly, pity points? Or follows from black people, who are, if the assumption is true, just being 'tricked'?

2. Even if it was 'done on purpose' (whatever that even means), so ****ing what? I like pasta, am I not allowed to make pasta because I am not Italian? This girl likes darker skin and works out - so what?
White people have been sunburning themselves trying to get tans for ages. More recently South Asians have been bleaching their skin, and East Asians going as far as to get their eyelids surgerised to look more Western.

These are all stupid things to do, and suggest at some mental problem, but the end effect is not offensive to anyone.

If white people who look 'black' are getting paid to promote to black people who like the look of the white person enough to follow them, then that's fine. If you don't like them, don't follow them.
She’s getting paid for looking the way she does now. She has turned herself into a light skin black woman or a mixed race woman. And she’s none of them. She knows she didn’t get paid for how She looks before but transforming herself into looking like a different ethnic background gets her the coin that real black women dont get. She said this comes from her tanning under the sun. From that skin colour to this... and her old hair texture to that... her lip size from that to that. So inappropriate and she can suck it. And no surprise, the usual people are here saying what she’s doing is fine.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 59
Saw an article like this last week along with a few more photos of "blackfishes"

thought it was pretty weird tbh.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending