PGCE health questionnaire and mental health problems

Watch
emjayti
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I have an offer to start a PGCE in September 2019 and I was referred to a company who do occupational health screening for them. All the forums seemed to say "disclose everything!" so I did, including my diagnosis of borderline personality disorder (the least helpful label in the world - it just means long term anxiety and depression). In previous employment situations, I have kept things vaguer, just talking about "mental health" but it said specify diagnosis, so I did.

Today I got a phone call from the most officious call centre worker, who asked me really intrusive questions and pressured into giving yes/no answers to them. (content warning for the rest of the post: intrusive questions about my mental health) I was genuinely asked (without bringing it up myself) if I self harmed, when my last "episode" of self harm was, how I had self harmed, if I had ever felt suicidal (without clarifying what they meant by this) and when I had last felt suicidal.

They did not ask me how it would affect my ability to deal with kids or stressful situations, but for specific, gory details of the worst times in my life. They could have asked for my GP, who is fully supportive of my teacher training plans, to assess my fitness.

So I am now feeling a bit rubbish. They are going to call me back on Friday. Rationally, I know I am fit to teach, but I felt cornered and like they were already judging me. Has anyone else had negative experiences at this stage? What happened next?

TLDR; Whose experiences of health questionnaires weren't plain sailing?

Emjay
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (147)
15.61%
Uncertainty around my education (155)
16.45%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (89)
9.45%
Isolating with family (65)
6.9%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (34)
3.61%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (83)
8.81%
Loneliness (95)
10.08%
Financial worries (40)
4.25%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (85)
9.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (64)
6.79%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (85)
9.02%

Watched Threads