Appeal for a reduced offer? Watch

SS__
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey Guys

I’ll be going to Uni next year to study Maths. I’ll be firming Warwick and my insurance will either be Bath or Queen Mary’s depending on how confident I am. Anyways, my Warwick offer is A*A*A if I get grade 1 in STEP, otherwise 3A*s (pretty tough). My friend also applied to Warwick for Ancient History. He got a reduced offer of BBB (from ABB). We went to the same secondary and I live in a worse area compared to his. Is it worth appealing?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by SS__; 1 week ago
Rohan77642
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The thing with maths offers at Warwick is that they are very strict with them. I am not sure whether they would consider an appeal since they have already made a standard offer instead of the reduced offer to you. I guess its worth a try, but I have rarely heard of Warwick maths getting reduced offers based on any other factors apart from STEP/MAT/TMUA performance.
SS__
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rohan77642)
The thing with maths offers at Warwick is that they are very strict with them. I am not sure whether they would consider an appeal since they have already made a standard offer instead of the reduced offer to you. I guess its worth a try, but I have rarely heard of Warwick maths getting reduced offers based on any other factors apart from STEP/MAT/TMUA performance.
You make a fair point. Wish it wasn’t so high, then again their maths is pretty good. Oh well 😔
Rohan77642
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SS__)
You make a fair point. Wish it wasn’t so high, then again their maths is pretty good. Oh well 😔
Warwick has a weird policy in that they give offers to almost everyone with a fair shot at meeting there offer but then are very strict at meeting there offers. One thing I would suggest with the offer is to definitely sit STEP. A good performance on STEP is seen very well and relaxes the stress on A-level exams a great deal. A lot of people feel intimidated by step and end up not doing STEP, but I assure you, the jump from the MAT to STEP 1 is not that much.

If you start to practice now, STEP 1 will be very doable.
ageshallnot
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SS__)
Hey Guys

I’ll be going to Uni next year to study Maths. I’ll be firming Warwick and my insurance will either be Bath or Queen Mary’s depending on how confident I am. Anyways, my Warwick offer is A*A*A if I get grade 1 in STEP, otherwise 3A*s (pretty tough). My friend also applied to Warwick for Ancient History. He got a reduced offer of BBB (from ABB). We went to the same secondary and I live in a worse area compared to his. Is it worth appealing?
Do you meet 2 or more of the criteria here:

https://warwick.ac.uk/study/undergra...textualoffers/
SS__
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Do you meet 2 or more of the criteria here:

https://warwick.ac.uk/study/undergra...textualoffers/
I think I meet a and c
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SS__)
I think I meet a and c
If so it would be worth asking why you weren't given a contextual offer.

"Warwick may make differential offers to students in a number of circumstances. These include students participating in the Realising Opportunities programme, or who meet two of the*contextual data criteria. Differential offers will be one or two grades below Warwick’s standard offer."

However, the key word is "may" - they don't say "will".
SS__
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
If so it would be worth asking why you weren't given a contextual offer.

"Warwick may make differential offers to students in a number of circumstances. These include students participating in the Realising Opportunities programme, or who meet two of the*contextual data criteria. Differential offers will be one or two grades below Warwick’s standard offer."

However, the key word is "may" - they don't say "will".
I don’t expect them to be obligated to change it, but I just want them to reconsider, considering I meet 2 or maybe more of the factors. How would I contact them? Like is there a specific email for queries like these?
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SS__)
I don’t expect them to be obligated to change it, but I just want them to reconsider, considering I meet 2 or maybe more of the factors. How would I contact them? Like is there a specific email for queries like these?
Probably [email protected]
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (230)
27.64%
No (602)
72.36%

Watched Threads