Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im a first year and absolutely hating uni so far. back home I was a social person, went out drinking and clubbing and had a good social life. I feel like Ive just had completely awful luck at university so far. the few friends I made on my courser all go out with their housemates but im in really bad unsocial accommodation, with the people who do go out not being friends with me (i invited them to predrink during freshers after meeting them a few times but they never invited me after, and theyve seemed to form their friend groups). i have predrinked at my friends from my courses accommodation before but they wernt very welcoming to new people seshing with them which was really strange. everyone has just seemed to have already formed their friends group and i feel like i have been left behind and it is too late to form or join any friend groups. annoyingly, people are already signing contracts and deciding who to go in a house with next year, even though it is only december. The society i go to is one with a massive group where different people show up on different sessions as there are many a week, and people dont tend to talk much due to the nature of it. i would love to try and join a sport but it is too late as i missed a lot of the try out sessions in freshers, and it would just be completely weird to join a club late as i wouldnt really be properly part of the team and everyone has already done their initiations. I just have no idea what to do. I really want to go out clubbing right now but dont have anybody to go with :/ please help me, i need advice, seriously depressed and not enjoying uni.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by madcowman)
    Im a first year and absolutely hating uni so far. back home I was a social person, went out drinking and clubbing and had a good social life. I feel like Ive just had completely awful luck at university so far. the few friends I made on my courser all go out with their housemates but im in really bad unsocial accommodation, with the people who do go out not being friends with me (i invited them to predrink during freshers after meeting them a few times but they never invited me after, and theyve seemed to form their friend groups). i have predrinked at my friends from my courses accommodation before but they wernt very welcoming to new people seshing with them which was really strange. everyone has just seemed to have already formed their friends group and i feel like i have been left behind and it is too late to form or join any friend groups. annoyingly, people are already signing contracts and deciding who to go in a house with next year, even though it is only december. The society i go to is one with a massive group where different people show up on different sessions as there are many a week, and people dont tend to talk much due to the nature of it. i would love to try and join a sport but it is too late as i missed a lot of the try out sessions in freshers, and it would just be completely weird to join a club late as i wouldnt really be properly part of the team and everyone has already done their initiations. I just have no idea what to do. I really want to go out clubbing right now but dont have anybody to go with :/ please help me, i need advice, seriously depressed and not enjoying uni.
    It sounds like you're a bit worried about what people will think if you just join in and will find it weird. These sorts of barriers tend to be in our own heads. If you put yourself out there you will make friends. In some cases you may feel a bit silly doing so but things will work out eventaully.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I just wanted to tell you I relate to this and you are not alone. I do think finding "your people" at uni does come down a lot to luck. I'm in second year after being assigned a really **** accomodation last year where I met no one and nothing ever happened. All I can suggest is getting out of the "it's too late" mindset- keep going out and doing things you're interested in (even by yourself) and hopefully you will meet some like minded people. This year I've become an editor of the student newspapaer and go to a lot of open mic nights where I'm meeting loads more people on my wavelength. I've still not found a "group" but I have friends dotted around, at least.

Also, keep reminding yourself that even though this situation is a bummer, it's really not to do with you. I really beleuve it's just luck and a right-place-right-time kind of thing, so just doing lots and putting yourself out there is your best shot. Also rememeber to keep your home-friendships alive to keep yourself sane!! and sending you all the best. You got this! x

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.