Is a gap year a year you take off then go to uni the following year

Watch
ChloeChang
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am wanting to take a gap year after finishing my alevels in 2019. This is so I can gain experience as I didn’t know what I wanted to do in the first place but now I’d like to do medicine. The deadline was October 15th so I’ll have to wait for next year to apply (October 15th 2019). My question is that is it really a gap year or am I just confused? If I were to take a gap year and apply in 2019, I wouldn’t really have time to gain work experience will I ? I’ll have to write my personal statement by then, THEN take the gap year which doesn’t make sense because by then I’ve handed it in. Does this mean I have to start me work experience now whilst I’m doing my last year of a levels , then apply? Unless thst is I miss 2019’s and apply in 2020 when I’ve had a full year but if I apply in 2020 I’ll start 2021...Can someone please help me clarify if this is correct or incorrect?Thanks!

Also when do they usually interview you? Is it when you get an offer?
Last edited by ChloeChang; 1 year ago
ChloeChang
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Bump
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ChloeChang)
I am wanting to take a gap year after finishing my alevels in 2019. This is so I can gain experience as I didn’t know what I wanted to do in the first place but now I’d like to do medicine. The deadline was October 15th so I’ll have to wait for next year to apply (October 15th 2019). My question is that is it really a gap year or am I just confused? If I were to take a gap year and apply in 2019, I wouldn’t really have time to gain work experience will I ? I’ll have to write my personal statement by then, THEN take the gap year which doesn’t make sense because by then I’ve handed it in. Does this mean I have to start me work experience now whilst I’m doing my last year of a levels , then apply? Unless thst is I miss 2019’s and apply in 2020 when I’ve had a full year but if I apply in 2020 I’ll start 2021...Can someone please help me clarify if this is correct or incorrect?Thanks!

Also when do they usually interview you? Is it when you get an offer?
You can start doing your work experience at any time from now, just make sure it is relevant to medicine. You don't need a full year of it by any means, most people apply with just a few weeks.

Yes it's called a gap year. Assuming you are interviewed it would be at some point after applying.

You would do well to head over to the medicine section where there are some very useful threads on the application process.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (177)
38.23%
Take autumn exams (143)
30.89%
Look for a job (16)
3.46%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.54%
Take a year out (78)
16.85%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
6.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise