Help! How do I alter my attitude?! Watch

Turtle13
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I'm coming up to the end of my first term in Sixth Form and it's has been . . . interesting to say the least.

I have got Cs in my mocks which my teachers say is really good (I take biology, chemistry and geography) but I know over the Christmas break I'm going to get nothing done and I need to change my attitude of doing work at home.

Over Christmas I need to revise weaker topics and in general rewrite my notes as well as do any homework, what's the best way for me doing this? Would a timetable work or is there something else?
SpangleMagnet
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Unfortunately, the only real thing that can make it work is yourself. How have you managed to revise or motivate yourself before? If a strict, regimented timetable hasn't worked for you before (and it doesn't work for everyone) then it probably won't work again this time. I always found strict timetables etc just made me more stressed about everything.

Make a list of everything you'd ideally like to revise and then prioritise them. The Christmas break will probably be, at the most, two weeks for you. I would say a reasonable workload for yourself (given the fact that even with all the best intentions, you are likely to take five days off for Christmas/New Year festivities!) would be to choose four or five specific topics or areas you need to work on, on top of any homework etc. You can always do more if you find yourself being more productive than you anticipated!
Seamus123
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Turtle13)
So I'm coming up to the end of my first term in Sixth Form and it's has been . . . interesting to say the least.

I have got Cs in my mocks which my teachers say is really good (I take biology, chemistry and geography) but I know over the Christmas break I'm going to get nothing done and I need to change my attitude of doing work at home.

Over Christmas I need to revise weaker topics and in general rewrite my notes as well as do any homework, what's the best way for me doing this? Would a timetable work or is there something else?
Nothing anyone here says is going to work, because you have already made up your mind that over Christmas nothing is going to get done. Don’t know what you expect people to say.
Xenon009
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You know, If you feel like you never get anything done at home, and cant motivate yourself it might be worth making sure your learning in the right way. I spent all of my gcse's (and the first half term of A level) refusing to study because of how much it sucked, and that's because I was approaching it wrong. I was trying to do mind maps and reading thru books ect. Turns out im more of a kinetic learner, and after turning my revision into games and doing hands on experiments (I do mostly sciences) I've found my revision much easier, It might be worth seeing if your going about it the right way.

(Link removed, But googling a test for yourself isn't a bad idea)
Is a fairly good quiz to work out the best way for you, Hope this helps!
Last edited by Xenon009; 1 month ago
Turtle13
Rep:
?
(Original post by SpangleMagnet)
Unfortunately, the only real thing that can make it work is yourself. How have you managed to revise or motivate yourself before? If a strict, regimented timetable hasn't worked for you before (and it doesn't work for everyone) then it probably won't work again this time. I always found strict timetables etc just made me more stressed about everything.

Make a list of everything you'd ideally like to revise and then prioritise them. The Christmas break will probably be, at the most, two weeks for you. I would say a reasonable workload for yourself (given the fact that even with all the best intentions, you are likely to take five days off for Christmas/New Year festivities!) would be to choose four or five specific topics or areas you need to work on, on top of any homework etc. You can always do more if you find yourself being more productive than you anticipated!
Thank you, that's really helpful. I will try out prioritising everything I need to do this holiday and see if that helps.
Turtle13
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xenon009)
You know, If you feel like you never get anything done at home, and cant motivate yourself it might be worth making sure your learning in the right way. I spent all of my gcse's (and the first half term of A level) refusing to study because of how much it sucked, and thats because I was approaching it wrong. I was trying to do mindmaps and reading thru books ect. Turns out im more of a kenetic learner, and after turning my revision into games and doing hands on experiments (I do mostly sciences) I've found my revision much easier, It might be worth seeing if your going about it the right way.

Is a fairly good quiz to work out the best way for you, Hope this helps!
Thank you, it really helped. I'm going to look at different ways to study and revise and see which works best for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1377)
79.5%
Leave (355)
20.5%

Watched Threads