Do you want a second referendum? 3/4 of students do, a new survey has found Watch

Spirithorse
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8661856.html

The poll by the National Union of Students (NUS) found that 71 per cent said the public should be given a Final Say on the Brexit deal, while just 19 per cent disagreed.

Those who wanted a fresh vote were significantly more likely to be women and full-time students, while opponents of a second public poll were more likely to be men and part-time students.

Despite students overwhelmingly backing another referendum, the survey also found that they were fed up with the ongoing debate about Brexit.

Do you agree with these findings?
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think there should be a second referendum.

We voted to Leave in the first referendum. But that does not mean we agreed to Theresa May’s deal, nor does it mean we agreed to Leave with no deal at all. Of the options available, the public still needs to have a say on which one we take.

As an analogy: If you like the advert for a particular restaurant and decide to go in and eat there, it doesn’t mean the waiter now has full authority to dictate to you what you must eat. He is supposed to bring you a menu, and now you have the right to decide what to eat based on the available options. And indeed, you have the right to decide that, after seeing the menu, you don’t actually like any of the options and would rather not eat there after all.

For the government to force either Theresa May’s deal or a no deal Brexit upon us without our consent (either via a referendum or a general election at least) would be undemocratic. It would take the mandate granted by the first referendum too far, and out of context.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by tazarooni89; 1 month ago
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes. Even the most mentally challenged Brexiteer cannot deny that it can only help promote freedom and democracyTM.

This is provided that none of the options in the second referendum involve reneging on the idea of Brexit entirely (which would contradict the democratic willTM which was expressed two years ago).
Kilam_Namoan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Everyone knows young adults wanted to remain. So of course they would want another referendum (which will likely be remain by a large margin).

Despite being pro-Remain, I think another referendum is a bad idea. Brexit means brexit- let’s just leave.
Last edited by Kilam_Namoan; 1 month ago
tazarooni89
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
This is provided that none of the options in the second referendum involve reneging on the idea of Brexit entirely (which would contradict the democratic willTM which was expressed two years ago).
I don’t really see why that’s a problem. People can, and often do change their decisions in light of new information. What is the big deal in allowing them to do this on the issue of Brexit?

Besides, If the 52% who voted to Leave last time actually intended for it to mean “Leave no matter what” (as you seem to be assuming), the result of a second referendum would be some form of “Leave” again anyway.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tazarooni89)
I don’t really see why that’s a problem. People can, and often do change their decisions in light of new information. What is the big deal in allowing them to do this on the issue of Brexit?
hence my use of irony

'Muh democracy' is a fig leaf for 'we should do this because I think it's right and yet can't find enough independently appealing reasons to justify it'. Hence why we've suddenly seen the loonies go from "referendum now!" to "we had a referendum and what the people think right now isn't relevant!" The inconsistency in logic is appalling.
Trinculo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Lol NUS.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Spirithorse)
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8661856.html

The poll by the National Union of Students (NUS) found that 71 per cent said the public should be given a Final Say on the Brexit deal, while just 19 per cent disagreed.

Those who wanted a fresh vote were significantly more likely to be women and full-time students, while opponents of a second public poll were more likely to be men and part-time students.

Despite students overwhelmingly backing another referendum, the survey also found that they were fed up with the ongoing debate about Brexit.

Do you agree with these findings?
The public, when asked, always favour a referendum on everything. You could ask them whether they favour a referendum on the Labelling of Pesticides Regulations and a majority would say they did.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (869)
80.09%
Leave (216)
19.91%

Watched Threads