travelcollegeguy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
It took me 4 years to pass my level 1 and even when I go online to look at maths level 2 papers I have no idea what it means. I have no idea to work out fractions, I have no idea how to work out how to measure. Why to university's ask for gcse maths or level 2 maths when I have a tripple distinction coming up, my level 2 in English, good references and two awards for student of the year
TempestLaw
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by travelcollegeguy)
It took me 4 years to pass my level 1 and even when I go online to look at maths level 2 papers I have no idea what it means. I have no idea to work out fractions, I have no idea how to work out how to measure. Why to university's ask for gcse maths or level 2 maths when I have a tripple distinction coming up, my level 2 in English, good references and two awards for student of the year
Maths is one of the best way to demonstrate your ability to understand concepts and objectively reapply them in their rawest form. Essentially if someone can do this with maths, they are likely to be able to do it with a lot of other subjects. This including more socially focused subjects such as law.

It is worth considering a tutor to aid you as you seem quite capable overall. It could just be a matter of someone explaining the concepts in a different way to you that will help
I'm God
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maths is really important as it will help you in the future in most fields e.g. engineering, science etc.

If you practise more, it isn't too difficult to pass Maths GCSE.
travelcollegeguy
Rep:
?
It is when you have dysculila
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are you doing A-levels (or equivalents) now?

Which courses interest you at university? Not all have a GCSE maths requirement.
travelcollegeguy
Rep:
?
Tourism management. I just feel so stupid even through I'm not.
TempestLaw
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Of course you aren't stupid, never think that. You know exactly why you struggle, and I'm sure you wouldn't think lesser of someone who struggles at maths for any other reason. Are there any tutors you can contact that can aid you that cater to your specific condition?
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
most universities have a general requirement of English and Maths at grade c gcse and 5 passes at grade c. some forego the maths requirement in certain subjects. they may treat things differently in mature students and it is possible might forego it due to your medical condition but for the vast amount of people gcse maths is a requirement. your best bet is to contact universities directly.
travelcollegeguy
Rep:
?
Thank you for your kind words
mathsisfun?
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know the stuggle dude I went back into adult education 3 years ago with dyslexia and asperges didnt know my times tables or anything while begining the journey now im doing access and applying for a degree in maths. I had to work really hard to just understand it but found when i did start to figure it all out i wanted to know more and really enjoyed the grind that is maths but i can promise you any effort you put into maths will be rewarded it has many many transferble skills and is essential to the modern world. Getting a strong grasp of algebra can be a reall boon in the workplace for many careers and it shows employers you have logic and problem solving skills. Dont give up and keep revising and hopefully you will see the reward from your hard work
adam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If your struggling with math concepts it's usually because you missed something in your mathematic education before hand.

For example you will really struggle with Algebra if you do not have a firm grasp of BODMAS
Or your example with fractions. You need to know how to Add,subtract,Multi, and Divide and know BODMAS if any of those are lacking you will struggle with fractions.

Think of Maths like a ladder you wouldn't attempt to climb to the 10th step if steps 3 and 4 are missing. For you fractions is that 10th step and your struggling to climb it so you need to check all the other steps are strong before attempting to climb onto the fractions step.

I've told you before I think you're issue is mainly your lack of confidence in mathematics. (I may be wrong)
If I was you I would use Khan Academy. (or something similar)
It starts you from the very very basics (counting 1,2,3) and can take you to university level mathematics if you wanted to. Starting from the basics may seem too easy for you or slightly patronising but it will help you discover if any of your understanding of elementary mathematics is lacking or missing.

But you have to want to give it a try. If you keep telling yourself I can't do it because I have dyscalculia or I can't do it because I suck at mathematics then you have already lost in your own mind.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So a Google find this course at St Mary's in Twickenham (a very underrated university IMHO).
https://www.stmarys.ac.uk/undergradu...ism-management

There's no mention of a specific GCSE requirement, but it would be worth contacting them to check.
Justvisited
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Judging by the above, it's dyslexia you're suffering from...
username3444162
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Math is around us everywhere, it surrounds us

Spoiler:
Show
Like Death
username3774332
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
maths is important. like to be a lawyer you gotta be able to tell the judge that y=mx+c or you automatically lose the trial.
Thewanabenerd
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
it's important cause the teacher said 'it is important'

tbh-most jobs has a field in maths
RachelZane33
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm at GCSE level now and my most needed for improvement subject is this. I don't like the subject but am going to work hard to try and secure a 7 in the exam. I understand the 'I hate maths' point because I am there now but regardless I am going to work to get the grade. I know the value of maths... if you fail you have to resit... so yeah
We are not all maths people. For example me, I have never been good at maths naturally but I know with a lot of practice I can make it work and that should be the end of studying hardcore maths!!!
Can't wait for that day.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You're going to need to understand ratios and percentages to do management in any industry so if you don't want to get stuck in the lower level jobs it's worth persevering with maths.

Unis want students to understand how their final degree classification is worked out - i.e. be able to work out what percentage you need to get on your remaining assignments to get the overall classification you need... this goes for the non scientific subjects too.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mathematics is the most underrestimated subject, no matter whether university or school. I know just a few jobs which have no mathematical fields, calculation is almost a part of an arbitrary profession, apart from the difficulty level. Especially in sciences and engineering, mathematics is unthinkeable.
travelcollegeguy
Rep:
?
Thank you for all the advice given on here
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (70)
28.23%
1 (40)
16.13%
2 (40)
16.13%
3 (35)
14.11%
4 (17)
6.85%
5 (20)
8.06%