cultural appropriation of a kimono? Watch

K3nzy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Trinculo)
I'm completely against the concept of cultural appropriation and I think it's a bunch of retarded leftie nonsense.

However.

Wearing a kimono to a dinner party or a formal is a bit gauche if you ask me. I'd say it's something of a social faux-pas if you're not Japanese or at least not well-versed with Japanese custom.

Really, if you're going to a dinner party, the thing to do is to respect the host and wear a cocktail dress or evening gown (depending on what kind of party it is) not make up your own dress code that's outside of your own norms. That's the point of a formal. It would be like going in a gentleman's morning suit. It's a kind of formal dress for *someone* at *some occassion* - just not for you, or for this occassion.
where would you reccomend I wear it? I'm curious because I'm not one for wearing dresses in public on a day to day basis.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Cultural appropriation doesn’t exist.
Trinculo
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by K3nzy)
where would you reccomend I wear it? I'm curious because I'm not one for wearing dresses in public on a day to day basis.
I suppose as a dressing gown. That's all you can really do with it. You don't have all the stuff to go with it - the belt and all that, and you don't really know how or when to wear it otherwise.

Like I said - I don't find this kind of thing in any way culturally offensive - it's just a bit.....bad mannered socially. Put it like this - if you went to a dinner party in a wedding dress, people would rightly think you're a nut. That doesn't mean the wedding dress isn't nice, or that it can't be worn to a certain occassion - just not the one you wore it to.

I suppose if you had your own party and wore it that would be ok.
K3nzy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Trinculo)
I suppose as a dressing gown. That's all you can really do with it. You don't have all the stuff to go with it - the belt and all that, and you don't really know how or when to wear it otherwise.

Like I said - I don't find this kind of thing in any way culturally offensive - it's just a bit.....bad mannered socially. Put it like this - if you went to a dinner party in a wedding dress, people would rightly think you're a nut. That doesn't mean the wedding dress isn't nice, or that it can't be worn to a certain occassion - just not the one you wore it to.

I suppose if you had your own party and wore it that would be ok.
😂 I don't get invited to many parties so yeah it would be a family party most likely
Trinculo
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by K3nzy)
😂 I don't get invited to many parties so yeah it would be a family party most likely
You should host your own dinner party. It's a great thing to do.
sinfonietta
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by K3nzy)
Here it is
Attachment 786884
Can definitely picture people asking you why you're wearing your dressing gown outside if you were to wear it somewhere.
K3nzy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by sinfonietta)
Can definitely picture people asking you why you're wearing your dressing gown outside if you were to wear it somewhere.
😂😂 very true I hope my mom doesn't think I'll wear it outdoors
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by K3nzy)
You could wear it over your pyjamas when you do the shopping at the supermarket.
rockrunride
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Japanese people absolutely LOVE gaijin adopting their customs. Wear it.

Even if they didn't, wear it anyway.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.82%
No (661)
60.7%
Not really bothered about them (223)
20.48%

Watched Threads