Turn on thread page Beta

How to stop my sibling opening store credit accounts under my name watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Did his credit rating return to normal a while after? Or did he not get any credit for a while?.

I really want to teach her a lesson but the only thing I’m worried about is that she has young kids and if she possibly gets a prison sentence then they would be horrible for the kids .
    I think he's been approved for a credit card recently so the damage can't be that bad

(Original post by ltsmith)
    how is this even possible? surely they should ask for some form of ID when opening a store credit account...?
    Nope, unfortunately they don’t. You could go on the JD Williams website right now and apply for credit . With only a name , date of birth and address. Lol. Pitiful right?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Nope, unfortunately they don’t. You could go on the JD Williams website right now and apply for credit . With only a name , date of birth and address. Lol. Pitiful right?
    Name:  confusedmeme.png
Views: 3
Size:  51.0 KB

(Original post by ltsmith)
    Go on , try it.

ReputationRep:

Go on , try it.
    im not saying i don't believe you i just find it very perplexing. no id checks opens up so many doors for fraud. im surprised these stores haven't gotten into legal trouble.

ReputationRep:
    I have let my parents know and I told them that I would report them for fraud(I really really don’t want to do this as they have kids) .

They don’t use my credit card , they just open store accounts and order clothes on credit. The parcels come under my name to my address
    yeah, I get you. No one want to do that to their siblings, especially if it will have wider effects. It is still illegal, though... could you just send back anything they buy? That would be a solution, if not an ideal one.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I’m going to do that now, thanks. Hopefully they can put a bar on any new accounts being opened under my name without the proper verification.
    I hope so too! I also wish you all the best of finding a graduate job soon.

ReputationRep:
    You can contact the credit reporting bureaus (Experian and the like) requesting a freeze on your credit due to suspected fraud, but this means you won’t be able to get any credit for yourself (not sure if you need it)

This may also be quite a cumbersome process (particularly to get them unfrozen). The less nuclear option is maybe to give your sister a link to the Fraud Act 2006, hopefully this will help her see sense when she realises the gravity of what you are doing.

Also you could be seen as complicit in that she’s told you she is going to do it and you have failed to report it, but I’m not sure on this one. I would definitely involve your parents if you haven’t already.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 6, 2018
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.