degree classification is unfair Watch

yugiho
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I find that when people say employers only really care about the class of degree really quite unfair. For example the percentage of 1st degrees from coventry is like 60 percent and then the percentage of 1st degrees from warwick (in a stem subject) is like 20 percent. But i would say on the whole as a measure of intelligence in the stem subjects anyone who gets a 2.2 or above from say warwick would be more intelligent than 95 percent of people who go to somewhere not as prestigous like coventry.

So basically its really unfair, they should look at the institution.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You'll find it even more unfair when, after your first job, nobody gives two shits about your degree.
yugiho
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
You'll find it even more unfair when, after your first job, nobody gives two shits about your degree.
Yeah lol, but is what i said how it works because if it is thats unfair
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by yugiho)
Places where your degree is relevant will look at more.

Places where it isn't won't give a ****.
adam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Life is unfair.

Seriously though a degree is a degree.
You went to a better university with more resources so you should have the advantage and should be able to demonstrate that.
The person from Coventry will be at a disadvantage sure, but he can make up for this by working harder and showing he is more committed.
artful_lounger
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I find that when people say employers only really care about the class of degree really quite unfair. For example the percentage of 1st degrees from coventry is like 60 percent and then the percentage of 1st degrees from warwick (in a stem subject) is like 20 percent. But i would say on the whole as a measure of intelligence in the stem subjects anyone who gets a 2.2 or above from say warwick would be more intelligent than 95 percent of people who go to somewhere not as prestigous like coventry.

Maths, Warwick's flagship course, has a roughly 40% rate for each of 1sts and 2:1s for the BSc (so only about 20% get less than a 2:1), and about 70% 1sts for the MMath (about 4% of the MMath cohort get less than 2:1)...slightly better than the 20% implied across the board.

Invariably course outcomes vary considerably between departments in any given university and it's kind of pointless to make such broad generalisations. STEM courses often also have better 1st rates than "arts" courses (although often higher fail/3rd rates as I understand) so I'm dubious about your assertions anyway...
yugiho
Rep:
?
Because its not done on percentages, so a certain percentage of the students get a first ect the system is competely messed up so getting afirst 2.1 or 2.2 really has no meaning whatsoever unless you compare to people at the same university doing the same course
SJW-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Drewski)
so why the **** do ppl go then
artful_lounger
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SJW-)
so why the fuk do ppl go then
I mean, some people actually go to university to learn more about their subject(s) of interest, and not just to get a piece of paper for a salary...

Also don't try to avoid the swear filter, it's against the ToS.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Look.
There's no point in whining about it not being fair. You picked your course, you picked your uni. There is quite literally nothing you can do about it other than get the best degree you're capable of.
In this day and age a degree doesn't even help you that much anyway unless you're lucky. The majority of people I went to uni with ended up either doing another degree, or a job that they could have done without doing a degree (and in some cases without doing A Levels).
Life isn't fair. There will be some things that work in your favour, others that don't. That's a harsh fact I've learned over the past few years.
Things like work experience and contacts are more important than your degree anyway, so focus on getting those.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Also don't try to avoid the swear filter, it's against the ToS.
Did you say this unironically
Smack
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Not every employer thinks the same. They're not a single entity. Many aren't that bothered at all about the institution; some are. Regardless, I don't think there are many offering graduate positions solely on the basis of academic attainment, meaning you're going to have to offer a lot more than just a degree.

What is your source about the percentages of 1sts at Coventry and Warwick though?

Because its not done on percentages, so a certain percentage of the students get a first ect the system is competely messed up so getting afirst 2.1 or 2.2 really has no meaning whatsoever unless you compare to people at the same university doing the same course
The only courses that I am aware of that operate on this basis are some Cambridge ones.
yugiho
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smack)
Not every employer thinks the same. They're not a single entity. Many aren't that bothered at all about the institution; some are. Regardless, I don't think there are many offering graduate positions solely on the basis of academic attainment, meaning you're going to have to offer a lot more than just a degree.

What is your source about the percentages of 1sts at Coventry and Warwick though?

The only courses that I am aware of that operate on this basis are some Cambridge ones.
i mean its not fair unless all the courses across all universities are calibrated with a certain percentage of 1st and 2.1 and so on. even then the difficulty of examination goes down as you go do the league tables anyway. The systems messed
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i mean its not fair unless all the courses across all universities are calibrated with a certain percentage of 1st and 2.1 and so on. even then the difficulty of examination goes down as you go do the league tables anyway. The systems messed
The fairest option for inter-degree comparison (and indeed for controlling inflation) would be to have an equivalent of A-levels for popular university-level courses, as is currently done with medicine. This has its downsides and administrative difficulties, but it's the only true solution.

Of course, most employers and universities out there aren't selective enough to discern between, say, a high 2:1 or a First. The ones that do tend to recruit from the unis you consider to have higher standards.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For example the percentage of 1st degrees from coventry is like 60 percent
Coventry awards about 24% Firsts not 70%.
yugiho
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Coventry awards about 24% Firsts not 70%.
Maybe on average but for specific courses it ranges considerably and this is my point
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
this is my point
You didn't make it very well then...
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Maybe on average but for specific courses it ranges considerably and this is my point
I wouldn’t argue with Doons, he seems to have acesss to every single educational graph or table on the planet.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
I wouldn’t argue with Doons, he seems to have acesss to every single educational graph or table on the planet.
:ninja:

Spoiler:
Show

aka Google
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Who cares, just go do the best you canand stop worrying about what Joe Bloggs from the University of Shitesville is doing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (627)
80.59%
Leave (151)
19.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise